Author Topic: Denver Record Store of Note  (Read 3220 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Denver Record Store of Note
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »
Spent last weekend in Denver, a couple weeks late for RMAF. To relieve my fret over missing the audio fun, I found myself seeking out record stores.  Although I found several, Denver, and perhaps the world, needs only one, Twist and Shout on E Colfax.

After visiting hundreds, maybe thousands of record stores, I at last have found record Nirvana. Twist and Shout is a large building with oodles of records and CDs.  They also sell used audio, phonograph accessories, music memorabilia, etc. Their used section is split in two, one section by genre and artist; the other sorted as new arrivals by day, for the regulars.  Ask if they have a copy of any record and their accurate computerized inventory quickly reports how many of each type they have, (LP, CD, import, and such).

Beyond their impressive stock on hand, the staff is informed and completely non-judgmental.  Often record store employees know what they know. Anything outside their knowledge simply sucks and isn't worth knowing.  Regardless of which employee I approached, I was cheerfully guided to the music about which I asked.  They were always as enthusiatic about my music as I was. 

The best thing about Twist and Shout, though, isn't the stock or the employees.  The best feature is their unequivocal policy of allowing customers to listen to the albums before they buy them. Listen as long as you like,  Listen to full songs instead of mere samples.  Headphones are connected to portable CD players for your use.  Want to listen to vinyl?  They have turntables exactly for the purpose.

Next October at RMAF, AN'ers shout be sure to check out Twist and Shout.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Denver Record Store of Note
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:35:01 AM »
Great review Allen. That's a must do next year

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:40:57 AM »
Agreed, Twist & Shout is what a record store should be. I've given them lots of $$ over the years, no regrets. :)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 06:30:00 AM »
I just noticed this... thanks for the tip.  Just lead the way since you'll be going with us to RMAF '08. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.