Self Medicating > General DIY

Need some capacitors (where to buy 6800uf 63wv)

(1/5) > >>

ik632:
I have a Harmon Kardon receiver that I used to really like until it started to hum (I wish it could carry a tune, hahaha). So, after calling HK to see what the repair cost would be (they estimated $150 because they knew which two caps it was that were defective) I decided to do it myself.

Apparently a run of amps from around 1999-2003 had some bad main caps for the amp section and they have been replacing them, and making a fair amount of money on out of warranty amps during the process. The tech even directed me to the place on the board where they are and, low and behold, there are two big caps with bulging, practically round tops. No wonder the amp buzzes/hums like it does.

So, now I need to buy some replacement caps and I'm not entirely sure where to get them from. I would like to make sure that they will sound good once installed, but I don't need the super high audiophile quality ones that will cost more than the amp is worth. From what I understand they should be $10-15 each for good quality caps. They are 6800uf (I don't have a micro letter on my keyboard) and 63wv(volts). Anyone have any good sources to get these from? I think this is all I need.

Now, my other issue is how to determine which is positive and negative on the old ones so I am sure to re-install the new caps correctly?

richidoo:
There is shrink label around the cap cans which has a stripe pointing to positive, or is it negative? It is clearly marked, but note the orientation before you remove the parts.  Take a pic of the cap polarities before you disassemble in case of brain fart.

These are power supply caps so audiophile grade film caps are not necessary, and aren't even made that big. Xicon is decent and cheap, also Panasonic, nichicon, etc.  Measure the original caps' width, so the replacements will fit on the board. 6800 is very popular size so there will be skinny and fat ones to suit any need. Get wire leads for easiest soldering, not snap ins which have larger stamped leads.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=2203862+4294626251+4294438773

Rich

ik632:
Cool, so I can pretty much buy whatever I want then.

Carlman:
Nichicon's listed on that site are supposed to be pretty good, reliable and to spec.
I've used them for PS caps on an amp with good results... I can't vouch for the other brands listed.
Glad you found the hum!  You'll have it singing the words in no time! ;)

mgalusha:
The Panasonic TSHA series are very good and Digikey has them in stock. They are available in two sizes, 30mm x 50mm and 35mm x 40mm.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P7489-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P7490-ND

They are snap in as are most that size but I'd bet $20 the originals are as well. Be sure they are discharged before working on it. Even though the original caps are failing they will still hold a charge. Check with a voltmeter be sure everything is discharged before poking any body parts in. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version