Self Medicating > General DIY

Sooo been away a while and some stuff has changed....

(1/22) > >>

Dougie085:
Ok so I sold my speakers I had before and have started on some new ones. I purchased a receiver to use as a Pre/Pro its a Sony STR-DA3300ES. This is a temporary processor until Emotiva releases their new stuff. I also purchased an Emotiva XPA-3 amplifier. Let me tell you guys if your looking for a cheap yet amazing product go with Emotiva this amp is a beast, absolute beast. It weights about 70lbs and is huge and its only a 3 channel. The 5 channel version weights something like 85lbs. Anyways I've also started on new speakers. I'll post a few pictures of the cabinets I have designed with the help of a friend for the mains. The center and surrounds will probably be boring boxes though.

A friend of mine is actually building a kit out of these but he's sharing the info with me. His cabinets are not the same as mine though. Also here is the data for the center channel and surrounds.

There are also going to be 2 15" subs in the works more then likely. So yes a lot has changed :) Working on redoing my DAC too and eventually going to get a 2 channel or a 5 channel XPA series amp if I do 5 channel then my front 3 speakers will be Bi-Amped.

stereofool:
Looks like an ambitious project...good luck!

I've been eyeing some of the Emotiva stuff (XPA-5)...how is the sound quality of the XPA-3???

Dougie085:
WELLL embarrassingly I have not listened to it yet as I am completely speakerless...BUT I have heard nothing but good things about the XPA series and Emotiva in general for that mater. And the way this thing is built I'd be surprised if it sounded bad :)

As for the speakers the curved cabinets are all being done CNC should be done by the 5th and ready to ship they told me so we'll see. The center and stuff will just remain square cabinets so easy stuff. Oh I'm also about to build a Flexi Rack for all my new stuff as my son can't keep his hands off with it in the TV stand and the new amp won't fit in the TV stand. I also got a new 80gb PS3 got tired of the Blu-Ray on HTPC thing it just wasn't working for me. Actually looks lots better on the PS3.

Dougie085:
By the way the drivers used in the speakers are the Tangband W4-1337SA mids, Dayton RS180-s Woofers, and Vifa XT25 Double magnet for the tweeters. This is an MTMWWWW configuration even the center is. Should be an amazing design :)

_Scotty_:
Dougie085, You might want to take a hard look at the DX25TG05-04. It has the same motor structure as the XT25 with 21% greater dome area and 93.5 db sensitivity rating with the same electrical parameters.
It transitions better into the midrange because it moves more air and has a greater excursion capability than the XT25. Theoretically you should not have to pad down the midranges at all to match up with the tweeter as they would be within a half a db of one another at the crossover. See link http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-578.
Have fun with your project.
Scotty

edited for clarity

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version