Author Topic: Altman Vs Lector CDP.  (Read 17466 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Altman Vs Lector CDP.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation... I might not even be allowed in my own room when it's finished.. ;)
I guess there will be exceptions. ha.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
Carl you are a website snob.  :-P  Audio Research's website has gotta be on your all-time worst list, but it's the pudding that counts, not the cup. :) I agree though, that pudding in a nice cup is the ideal. Hmm, I'm suddenly kinda hungry...

Mike, I am very intrigued by the Lessloss propaganda. That would be really fun to hear. Non-oversampling with a PCM-1794 per channel, right? The Altmann uses that tiny little 8 pin Phillips DAC chip for both channels. But of course Lessloss DAC chip is not slathered with tree resin to hide the chip number, er.. ahhh, I mean to boost the musical ecstacy.  :D

There's some nice stuff out there. All in good time... haha

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 05:50:15 AM »
Carl you are a website snob.  :-P  Audio Research's website has gotta be on your all-time worst list, but it's the pudding that counts, not the cup. :) I agree though, that pudding in a nice cup is the ideal. Hmm, I'm suddenly kinda hungry...
I'm an 'image snob'... get it right! ;)
The 'I don't care about my site' mentality won't work for long. I'm surprised it still does... and it tells me I'm not in their demographic.  It might also mean they are really focused on doing 1 thing right.  And I understand that when a company is young but not when it matures and makes cd players costing as much as cars.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 08:16:59 AM »
It's actually the 1704 U-K chip, upsampling to 384 khz with redbook.  It has a dual battery/AC supply where batteries run the analog output section and AC runs the digital supply.  It's a real hotrod.  If you haven't read Danny Kaey's review of it, he did a great job (cuz' he pretty much agrees with me  :D):

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue35/lessloss_dac.htm

Incidentally, this is the same unit I reviewed - I shipped it to him when I was done.  Had I not already owned one I would have bought it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:19:04 AM by miklorsmith »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »
Right 1704.  1794 is OS. Thanks