Author Topic: a thought  (Read 14263 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: a thought
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 05:49:45 AM »
 Shep if your TV has an IEC burn the cord with the TV. It will take 200 hours plus to settle in. I have found 12 hours on 12 hours off to be most affective. The dielectric needs to settle. Leaving on for 24 hr. period does not allow the settling. I used to leave the gear on for 2 weeks straight. No longer as that method was faster. Whatever you decide HAVE FUN trying.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »
can't, it's soldered for good in place. I guess I'm looking forward to a few weeks of frustration. The player isn't sounding so great, but I was warned about the new caps, which are from Mundorf, and some Blackgates. It will bloom eventually. Really nice guys to deal with, in UK and Holland. The diy community is really a great fraternity.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
Blackgates will definitely Jekyll and Hyde on you for a few hundred hours in my experience.  Unfortunately, a lot more Hyde than Jekyll  :twisted:

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

shep

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »
I know about the Blackgates, or did, but I thought that only applied to a certain series in certain areas? They were notorious, so much so that you couldn't power off or the process had to begin again. I'm pretty sure this applies to ones that are no longer in production, from Japan. 99% are made in the UK now, except the notoriously expensive hand-made silver ones. Caps are a trip  :x. V'caps and Deuland and some others are also very unsettling for a long while I believe. Anyway the affects are very audible. You know something good is just there but it's held back. There was a slight loosening last night. I've never used Grover's power cables so that too is a totally new experience. I've had many variations of his interconnects (5!) though.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:00:50 AM »
can't, it's soldered for good in place. I guess I'm looking forward to a few weeks of frustration. The player isn't sounding so great, but I was warned about the new caps, which are from Mundorf, and some Blackgates. It will bloom eventually. Really nice guys to deal with, in UK and Holland. The diy community is really a great fraternity.

Yes you did mention that my mistake. A little wine some cheese and patience.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
OK, time for a little thread hijack. (although not a complete jacking since I think this information might be helpful to Shep in his current situation.)

Shep is at the point where it seems he just needs to put time on the new CDP to get it settled it. So the question is how do you do that?

I remember reading an article a number of years back that claimed the type of music you play during a given piece of equipments break-in period would have an effect of the units ultimate sound when the break-in was complete. Does this ring a bell with anyone and if so do you have any experience or insights? (particularly as to whats type of music has what effect.)

Rollo already mentioned the 12 on/12 off concept. Any other ideas?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »
no hijack, good question. Does seem a little farfetched, even by nervosa standards, but who knows? I'm going for the 12 and 12 method; sounds right to me...So to speak. While on the subject (mine!) does anyone have experience with different kinds of WOOD footers (under cdp)? I found various internet sellers. The options seem to be either ebony or oak or another wood. Among the diy crowd, tonewood, as it is called, seems to be preferred to all other types (sorbathane etc.) We sort of make fun of this break-in period thing but I am really getting tired of it. That says something...that I probably don't want to hear...like stop searching for more, better, best. On a beer budget, silk purses are scarcer than hens teeth, or something like that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:21:16 PM by shep »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 06:31:05 AM »
   CDPs reqiure isolation as well as draining of the vibes. The transport picks up vibration.  A plinth of some sort is reccomended such as Maple, Spruce, Ebony or a sand box. The plinth should be drained with cones preferably brass. The most affective footers I have used are Sound Fussion from Canada. Herbies makes some good producta as well. Tone wood, spikes, etc will all have a different affect so experimenting to find your nirvana is required. No break- in though  :thumb:

charles

shep

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 08:57:57 AM »
well the amp and the cdp are sittting on two planks (seperated by felt pads) of elm, which is on a two inch think oak bench. I guess I'll go for more wood. I like the idea of Ebony cones. You sure about the no break-in :duh

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 09:54:52 AM »
Here's an inexpensive source of the most efficient damping polymer in the world, Sorbothane.

Sorbothane Sheets

$20 for a square foot.  Audioquest gets $25 for a 1/4 sq ft. Use sparingly, it needs a good amount of weight on it to work. Sorbothane damps vibration into oblivion.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
Shep I think you have stumble onto something that could occupy you time while you're waiting for the CDP to break in (and then some  :lol:). All of the ideas discussed so far are valid and each one sounds different. (and I am sure there are many more good ideas out there.) The only important questions is which one sounds best to you, in your system.

At last year's Gotham City Flea Market I picked up a set of BDR cones just for kicks. Put them under my CDP and I'll be dammed if I couldn't hear a difference between when they were all point up vs. all point down. Not to mention the 6 other different combination of up & down.   :roll: And this is all with just one product!  #-o

My only warning is to keep good notes on how each of the things you try effects the sound. Remember you will be working with a moving target. If the sound of the CDP is changing during the break-in period a treatment that produces a positive change in hour 30 may produce a negative change in hour 70 because the base sound of the CDP is different at that point. :roll:

Ahhhhh, nervosa at its finest.  :duh
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 08:04:45 AM »
well the amp and the cdp are sitting on two planks (separated by felt pads) of elm, which is on a two inch think oak bench. I guess I'll go for more wood. I like the idea of Ebony cones. You sure about the no break-in :duh

Cd transport mechanisms are subject to floorborn vibration as well as internal. Depending on the CD players ability to defeat vibration may vary. The key is to eliminate vibration from entering the player. now the draining part with cones etc. can alter the sound. Brass, Ebony, tone wood, etc. will have a different sonic singnature.
   First I would isolate then at a later date try some cones. For cheap you can buy a wheelbarrow tire tube or the like and place under the Elm plank in lieu of the felt. I built a sandbox using a Corian plinth [ 2 3/4"the. ] with viscoelastic dampening sheet in between. Soundfusion footers under the CDP. If you have access to a Stethoscope you can hear the difference in vibration. Really.
   Break-in NO no no, settling yes yes yes. About 3 days. Have fun.

shep

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »
thanks for all the "thoughts". Little by little it's breaking in. I'm still partial to the idea of wood footers! The Marantz is obviously a cheap machine and little attention was paid to damping or vibration control. I have lots of bitumin sheets stuck inside, threw out the top cover and replaced it with plywood (still looking for a thick sheet of plexi...that doesn't cost the earth). When I feel breakin has happenbed i will address the feet issue.

shep

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
i put on a great recording (fourplay 1991) and turned it up loud; it's just begining to relax and come on song; still not there yet  :(

shep

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
70 hours in and it's beginning to open up, relax and come forth. 12 hours on and 12 off à la Charles. I think my money will have been well spent.
BTW, Grover says "30" hours for his power cords, but then again "Grover says..." I guess i can spill the beans now; it's been over 6 weeks. He made yet another version; call it the SXa. He didn't want people getting mad for incessant upgrades, so kind of slipped it into production (at least I think so). It is very good, in fact significantly better than all 5 versions i have had. He may get pissed at me for saying this but WTF.