Author Topic: a thought  (Read 14298 times)

shep

a thought
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:14:37 AM »
The Dutch guy who does very nice modding is selling a Marantz 63 mk II KI, fully modded. I might just go for it as a backup player or primary one if it is better than mine. CD63mkII-KI_sign_small.jpg  Marantz CD63mkII-KI modifications  CD63mkII-KI_sign_small.jpg
CD63mkII-KI.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the new recently modified CD63mkII-KI.
For this player, there is also another interesting tweak of the analog filter available on the CD63mkII page.

* CD63mkII-KI_Bitumen_1_small.jpg  Bitumen damping, overview
    * CD63mkII-KI_Bitumen_2_small.jpg  Bitumen damping, close-up 1 and 2
    * CD63mkII-KI_LMregs_1_small.jpg  Power supply section with LM317/337 regulators (more info here)
    * CD63mkII-KI_PSU_back_small.jpg  Rear side supply section
    * CD63mkII-KI_Analog_4_small.jpg  The Flea and analog filter
    * CD63mkII-KI_Analog_2_small.jpg  Analog section close-up
    * CD63mkII-KI_Opamp_close_small.jpg  Opamp close-up
    * CD63mkII-KI_DAC_SMD_small.jpg  SMD capacitors rear side DAC chip
    * CD63mkII-KI_Mains_1_small.jpg  Mains filter
    *   Mains filter rear side
    * CD63mkII-KI_Mains_3_small.jpg  Power supply for The Flea
    * CD63mkII-KI_Decoder_2_small.jpg  Decoder section and The Flea
    * CD63mkII-KI_HF_amp_small.jpg  Close-up HF amp
    * CD63mkII-KI_Drivers_1_small.jpg  Servo and drivers
    * CD63mkII-KI_Driver_close_small.jpg  Drivers close-up
    * Mods.gif  Modifications list (PDF)

He's asking about 500$ for it, in pristine condition and with a lot of work under the hood.
The image didn't copy. Here's the link http://www.raylectronics.nl/index_en.html

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: a thought
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
http://www.raylectronics.nl/index_en.html

Our audio engineer genius, Sol, has a Marantz CDP for his digital source. He loves it and modded it. It has a good basic DNA, that lends itself to mods.  Seems like Ray has put the whole deal into that one. On paper looks like valuable deal when you look at modders list prices for similar work.  But the truth is in the listening. You have to have faith in him personally in order to weigh the value of the mod without hearing it. He's got a lot of technical info on the website, and engineered upgrade parts for sale, so it's clear he's not a total joker.  Some testimonials from a good handful of customers would help you make the call, if they seemed legit.   You could ask him how he thinks it compares to what you already have. If he's trustworthy you should a feel from his answer what's best to do. Read between the lines.

Good luck shep!
Rich

shep

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »
He has already made a DOS board for me, that is now in England awaiting my 67'. The DOS board is supposed to be a serious piece of kit and a big upgrade. Ray is a very well known DIY guy on the DIY forum and one of the original players that started the epic 1500 page thread of Marantz 63', 67' etc. players. My guy in England (http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/index.shtml) is a pal of his and totally respects his work, so I'm good. He says that this KI is better than mine at it's present level but no bets at to which will win when mine has the full job done. Actually, as an aside, Marantz were real slippery and not very ethical on this score. In point of fact the so-called signiture Ken I. only differs from the regular 63' in having a copper chassis and a better quality tranformer (and pretty covers on the useless HDAM mudule that all self-respecting diy'ers by-pass immediately) That's from people who have taken these things apart totally.
I will have already sunk 500$ into mine and I don't really need a second machine...but try telling that to my Nervosa  :shock: Glad somebody else is interested in this stuff...The DIY world is facinating, full of guys from all countrys and backgrounds. There are some there who know tons more than any tech or designer working for the name brands. It would be really fun to pit these old machines (once fully modded) against modern hi-cost cps like AYON and Abbington. From what I hear, they can hold their own easily and make you think twice about spending 3-5+ grand. Granted the road is long, and in my case I have to turn over this to others since I don't have the smarts, the skills or a very steady hand for this kind of work. Plus you have to know where to source parts etc. There's really no point in saying how it sounds since no one but me and neighbor knows. More's the pity. That's the down-side of living in rural France!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:36:20 PM by shep »

shep

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:37:27 AM »
Well my cdp has gone off to England for it's latest upgrade. This time will be really telling as it's a major one.
I have a reserve on the 63 sig. They are very alike and very different. The Sig. has a custom clock and power supply for same and uses op amps, new sled and laser assembly and generally in better shape, while mine has the dos board instead. Different caps as well. I'm nuts but it's fun! Different flavors. I haven't a clue how either will sound. In theory mine will be slightly more resolving and spacious but the better clock might swing the ballance towards the Sig. Now I just have to wait and pace by the male box.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:13:17 AM »
At least now with 2 CDPs you will have tunes while you send the other one for more mods. Or maybe one of them will be so good you will never mod again?  :-k 

Looking forward to your reports, and comparison, and pics!

shep

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:15:45 AM »
I don't really know how to do the pics but I will try! I guess that's better than a thousand words.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
..... Or maybe one of them will be so good you will never mod again?  :-k 

Not in my lifetime.  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Hey Shep, I'm jealous.  :mrgreen:

Your CDP has seen more parts of the world than I have.  :shock:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »
I don't really know how to do the pics but I will try! I guess that's better than a thousand words.

I like your 1000 words too. But pics are fun.

When you are ready to post pics, Create a post, type something, then press the link at the bottom above the Post button, called "Additional Options..." Press the button that says Choose file, and point the navigation applet to the picture file on your 'puter. Press Post and the thumbnails of your pictures will appear at the bottom of your post.

If you want to make the full size pictures embedded in the body of your post, then you need to upload them into your picture gallery first. Use the camera icon in the avatar area to get to your gallery where you will find "upload pictures" links. Then copy the external link for the picture, and paste it into the html tag created in a post when you press the "insert Image" button (framed landscape button.) More complicated, but not too hard for a smart guy like you. Practice a little, you'll get it. 

Maybe we should start a "practice posting pictures" thread, let everyone try to post and get some help with errors until everyone has it down. Imagine how pretty our website will be with all those pictures flooding in!!

shep

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 09:28:57 AM »
I will try all of the above Rich...when the time comes. I'm thinking about a museum: like you can get to see this senior with an antιdiluvien cdp. Kids can throw peanuts and if you're really polite I'll play a few tunes...you can all titter. I'll even take the top off and show you the gubbins, if you're really nice..like throw a big MAc or something from time to time. Once these two players are in my paws, I bet they will hold their own (at some imaginary audio assembly). Total cost for both will tally up to something like 1500$ (I've long since stopped counting!)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:32:48 AM by shep »

shep

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:04:45 AM »
Marantz is in a truck somewhere in France. Damn Sunday! 500$ upgrade so it better be damn special this time.

shep

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 10:32:12 AM »
Got it! battered box and all. And it works! burning in now. It will take 100 hours says the master; new caps and lots of other bits. Sounding good but still a bit tight. Is to be expected.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »
YAY! Congrats shep. Can't wait to hear about the verdict. Have fun with the burning in.

Even tho he is the master, he can't hold a candle to your nervosa, so don't be surprised if it takes longer than 100 hours to really settle.

shep

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 03:11:21 AM »
As this is my first foray into boutique power cords, just wondering how long they take to burn in. It's from Grover. Soldered directly and forever. Can't say much about the plug though. I got it off a French guy . It's looks like the fancy ones and is surely a big step from the off the shelf crap that came with the machine.
As for sound: there are so many variables at work. It's a bit tight and not yet blooming but there are lots more colours and it's more muscular. Jeez the words we use to try and describe  :duh

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
A power cord from Grover may take a long time to break in.  Do you have something you can put it on that's on 24/7 that draws some current?  I would think after a few weeks of constant use, it'd be worth comparing to whatever you normally use.  If you listen to it in its 'fresh' state you may end up running back to the male box with the cord in its box.
I really enjoy listening to music.