Author Topic: Advise on purchase of a transport  (Read 10901 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Advise on purchase of a transport
« on: October 25, 2009, 04:52:40 AM »
I had a bad experience with a modded Squeeze Box (every couple of weeks some sort of serious glitch would pop up that left me without tunes for days/weeks until I stumbled into a "fix").  I am not a computer geek!   :roll:

I'm using a modded Behringer DEQ2496 for DEQ and DAC, so I'm looking strictly at transports only.  Would like to keep in under $1,000 USD.  So far I've looked at a Ric Shultz modded Oppo BDP-83:

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_BDP-83_Mods.html

or Underwood HiFi modded Music Hall CDP:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtltran&1261446100&/Music-Hall-CD-25.2-T

I've even considered getting an iTouch and modded Wadia 170i, just to keep everything simple:

http://www.asi-tek.com/wadia2.html

TIA for your advice.

Ecramer

Re: Advise on purchase of a transport
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:21:31 AM »
Onix CD5

Its used but it's built like a tank

DAC: Burr-Brown 1732 24-bit/96kHz DAC
R/RW: CD-R & CD-RW playback
S/N ratio (WTD): 104dB
Channel Seperation: (1KHz): > 96dB
Output Connections: RCA analog output, Coaxial digital output
Transport: Philips CDM-12.1 transport controlled by a CD-7mkII servo
Op Amps: 2604 op amps
Voltage: 110V/220V Switchable
Shipping weight: 21lbs
Dimensions: 13"D x 3.5"H x 17 5/8"W
Additional Information:
Nichicon Goldtune capacitors
Black acrylic face plate and solid chassis
Full remote control operation
Easily readable and dimmable florescent display
Detachable power cord

At that price you cant go wrong

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
Have the glitch removed from the SB.
They can sound fantastic when properly massaged.

Or, get a used Consonance Teardrop CDP. You'll instantly be cooler than you are now.  8)

Bob

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »
I just downloaded Squeezecenter 7.4.1 and it sure seems like it fixed a lot of issues for me.. more stable and actually sounds a little better than 7.3.  Makes the jive/duet remote work better too! :)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Ecramer

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 01:16:48 PM »
Have the glitch removed from the SB.
They can sound fantastic when properly massaged.

Or, get a used Consonance Teardrop CDP. You'll instantly be cooler than you are now.  8)

Bob

those opera Consonance cdp's are just a little to fussy for me i hava a cd -120 here that fussy as hell and ive heard from others it a brand wise problem

Ed
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:18:26 PM by Ecramer »

Offline JLM

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
Ecramer:

I only vaguely recall the Onyx CD5, its a German rebadge via Mark Schifter of AV123 right?  Have any links/reviews?  The Phillips CDM 12.1/CD-7 mk II servo should be quite respectable, right?

Bob:

The SB is long gone, thanks but no way even the Teardrop could make me cool.  :lol:

Thanks guys...

Ecramer

bacobits

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »
I like these pieces. The transport is a small footprint top loader, no friggin drawers!
But that's me.
Check out the Stello pieces. I could not find these used when I bought my Raysonic 128.
In fact a Raysonic 128 would make a good transport too. $1000 Used.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aprilmusic2/stello.html

Den
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:55:14 PM by bacobits »

Offline JLM

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
Thanks again guys.

Still haven't found any information regarding the sound quality of the Onyx CD5 when used as a transport, although supposed to be the same as the Music Hall CD25.  The reviews for either piece aren't really stellar (good for the money is the best thing said).  I'm not really in a hurry here, in fact I have another system upgrade I want to do first.

That Stello looks very nice, but with all the buzz regarding ripped music and how empty CD shelves are in stores, I'm wondering if investing in a CD spinner is smart.  Part of my interest in the modded Oppo was that it could be used in my HT system if things change for the main audio rig.

Ecramer

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 02:51:18 AM »
Its made in same plant as the music hall with better parts been a couple years since i was researching this

I am using am onix cd-3 as a transport for my northstar DAC which is the next step up there is one in b-stock at av123 that i know is a great transport.  I saw the onix and knowing how well they were built recomended it as a transport  the Philips CDM-12.1 transport controlled by a CD-7mkII servo is  a pretty good unit. the reviews are talking about using it as a cdp which it at best good for the money but the onix has a good caps and filtering in the PS and at 21 lbs would be less efected by vibration

YMMV

ED

Offline JLM

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 06:51:08 AM »
Thanks for the input Ed.

Now I'm wondering how much gain can be expected in moving from a Stereophile Class C rated, $170 MSRP unit to a $400 unit or perhaps moving up to the CD3 (that should be a very solid move up).

And where would you go for servicing on an Onyx CDP?

bacobits

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 01:51:34 PM »
It was mentioned on AC Onix just setup a whole new dealer network in the US.
They would know. I can't find the thread.

D

Ecramer

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »
Interesting question in the servicing. With the b-stock cd3 i would expect av123 to provide some sort of service. I know Underwood Wally modded them and they are made in the shanling / music hall factory and John Cassler is an onix dealer i think you should be able to find some one to work on the cdp but that is all speculation on my part.  I've had good luck with mine and i use it a lot i've run thousands of cd's through it without a glitch. I just really like mine and they usually only hang on Audiogon for less then a day when they do come up for sale Good luck in the hunt

ED
Thanks for the input Ed.

Now I'm wondering how much gain can be expected in moving from a Stereophile Class C rated, $170 MSRP unit to a $400 unit or perhaps moving up to the CD3 (that should be a very solid move up).

And where would you go for servicing on an Onyx CDP?

Offline JLM

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 03:52:28 AM »
I've been in e-mail with John Cassler.  He still sells Onix, but they have new CDP models with non-Phillips drives and there is a new U.S. distributor. 

I looked at the AV123 site.  The CD-3 they have on the B-list is supposedly in good shape, but somehow no longer upscales (not an issue as I only plan to use it as a transport).  I spoke with Mark and he was going to check the unit out, but haven't gotten a call back.  They offer a 3 year warranty even on B-stock.

I'm also thinking about jumping into an iPod with modded Wadia 170i as my only source in the big system.

I'm so confused.   :roll: :( :duh :?

Ecramer

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 05:49:16 AM »
Hey the chase is half the fun  :rofl:

I've been in e-mail with John Cassler.  He still sells Onix, but they have new CDP models with non-Phillips drives and there is a new U.S. distributor. 

I looked at the AV123 site.  The CD-3 they have on the B-list is supposedly in good shape, but somehow no longer upscales (not an issue as I only plan to use it as a transport).  I spoke with Mark and he was going to check the unit out, but haven't gotten a call back.  They offer a 3 year warranty even on B-stock.

I'm also thinking about jumping into an iPod with modded Wadia 170i as my only source in the big system.

I'm so confused.   :roll: :( :duh :?