Author Topic: 40 of the most valuable vinyl records you may have in your collection.......  (Read 8655 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
How many are on your shelf?

https://www.finance101.com/valuable-vin ... ds_v4_1908

I have quite a few, but unfortunately none of them are the valuable pressings talked bout in this article. 
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
I've got a few that are >$1k lps.  Most of which I bought for under two bucks.  Probably my favorite is a NM first pressing of Bill Evans'  "Waltz for Debbie" followed by a NM-  Cliff Jordan and John Gilmore  "Blowin' in from Chicago".   Probably more rare, but not as valuable is a ballet written by Sidney Bechet
"La Nuit est une Sorciθre" There's a short sequence on film   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDUPhUOSGa4
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Online Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
I've never had anything that sold for more than $500 at any point.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
They mention "KInd of Blue" by Miles as a $1000 lp.  I've never seen one go anywhere near that high... because he sold too many. The highest sale price noted at Discogs was  $325.  VG+ copies go for $150 and up.
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
They mention "KInd of Blue" by Miles as a $1000 lp.  I've never seen one go anywhere near that high... because he sold too many. The highest sale price noted at Discogs was  $325.  VG+ copies go for $150 and up.

That article was talking about the prices for some very specific rare pressings.

In my experience, prices of really specific collectable pressings done usually show up on discogs as they are usually sold at actions or specific collectors shows or stores. and of course in those cases there are often deep pocket collectors around with more money than patience that have to have something right now and run the price up to a stupid level way outside of the normal range. So it would not surprise me if A copy of KoB sold for that much even though they usually go for much less.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Gotcha, sort of like the Zeppilins with RL in the deadwax.   
Well, I am a believer in early pressings, if the cost is a bit higher, but not 10x higher.  That's for collecting and not for listening.  A couple of years back I paid a bit extra to get an early pressing of Sketches of Spain, but it was still well under $50. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
Hi all.
I do have some vinyl that are 50 years old,
but don't think they are worth more than what I paid for at the time...
The Ventures, James Last, Laurendo Almeida,....

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Online Folsom

You can always check, Guy,

www.discogs.com

BUT BEWARE the listings are often super specific! There may be many version and yours is one of them. Sometimes the numbers in the deadwax is where the differences, sometimes colors, sometimes pressing numbers, sometimes different plants, always can be different years.... if it's different, then it's probably listed.

Offline Guy 13

40 of the most valuable vinyl records you may have in your collection.......
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 06:48:13 PM »
Thanks Folsom.
I will have a look, who knows ? ? ?

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
I have a few that are worth a couple hundred dollars but that is it, nothing like the thousands in that article.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline Guy 13

40 of the most valuable vinyl records you may have in your collection.......
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »
You can always check, Guy,

www.discogs.com

BUT BEWARE the listings are often super specific! There may be many version and yours is one of them. Sometimes the numbers in the deadwax is where the differences, sometimes colors, sometimes pressing numbers, sometimes different plants, always can be different years.... if it's different, then it's probably listed.

Hi Folsom.
Nope... Nothing...
Of course my vinyl are worth a zillion dollars each to me.
After I rip them (Transfert) I will just keep them, who knows what they will be worth
in 29 years from now when I will be 100 years old,
if I can make it there ? ? ?

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC

Offline Putz

Re: 40 of the most valuable vinyl records you may have in your collection.......
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 01:17:34 PM »
My most valuable record is Santana Abraxas One Step MFSL.

A few months ago I decided to catalog my LPs using the Discogs Collection function. They also have an App with a barcode reader for the newer stuff. I'm currently at 1751 records worth $31,500 at medium value which is based on actual Discogs sales. Nicest feature may be the ability to check my collection when perusing the bins so I don't buy a duplicate.

Offline SUELZER

That article was talking about the prices for some very specific rare pressings.

In my experience, prices of really specific collectable pressings done usually show up on discogs as they are usually sold at actions or specific collectors shows or stores. and of course in those cases there are often deep pocket collectors around with more money than patience that have to have something right now and run the price up to a stupid level way outside of the normal range. So it would not surprise me if A copy of KoB sold for that much even though they usually go for much less.

My apologies for adding to a more than likely dead thread...but I recall reading this article/list when it first came out and it seemed like a pipe dream / end of the rainbow scenario. 
I recently completed cataloging some 20k singles from my father's 45 collection, which I wound up rolling into my own collection...predominantly Jazz LPs. Some of the sold prices I was finding on discogs / valueyourmusic / musicstack / ebay certainly did not match up to each other or say a goldmine catalog price. I completely agree that timing is everything and having an anxious buyer with deep pockets is very beneficial. I would love to see some of those numbers with selections from my collection, but we can't all be that lucky  8)

According to discogs median prices, these are a few moderately expensive vinyls in my collection
Jerome Richardson "Roamin' With Richardson" on New Jazz
Dale Hawkins "Oh! Suzy Q" on Chess
The Penguins "The Cool Cool Penguins" on DooTo
Aquamen "Line and Track" promo HiBack 45

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
  I have 12 of them. Great if I could get the big bucks. Mostly mint or VG+ condition.  So many singles to go thru.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Jack Keck

I don't own 40 LPs, so my list would be my entire LP collection. The only reason I still have these is that I haven't found them on CD or Amazon Music Unlimited. So in no particular order, here are my "most valuable LPs:

Transblucency - Maria Muldaur
Gospel Nights - Maria Muldaur
Color Pool - David Friesen
Storyteller- David Friesen
Bassists in Concert - David Friesen & Glen Moore
Martin Mull's first album
Musik der Spielleute - Studio der Fruhen Musik
Morning Again - Tom Paxton

The above are the reasons why I still have my Rega Planar 2 turntable.

I took the album covers from the Maria Muldaur records to one of her shows to be autographed. She was amazed that I had Transblusency, remarking that it had been out of print for about 40 years.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast 'n' bulbous, got me?" D. van Vliet

Jack