Author Topic: KAB 1200 TT  (Read 23398 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: KAB 1200 TT
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 10:43:30 AM »
Well, I pride myself in owning miniature machine tools which I use when I wear my inventors cap. Sadly, not much inventing since oldest born 9 years ago, but I should be able to make anything smaller than a breadbox. Corian is a great material, stiff, non resonant and cheap, and available in "bubble gum confetti."

I deliberately mention WEEZ whenever I can, I have found that rubbing a sore wound helps it heal faster, and I don't wanna forget. As I consider jumping into records, I feel obliged to try his unused advices first. But there's plenty of that to last us a long time.

My ass is sore from planning Carl's room on the computer all morning. Gotta take a break for lunch, then I'll check out Mr Ebays TT. Thanks Allan!
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »
My ass is sore from planning Carl's room on the computer all morning. Gotta take a break for lunch, then I'll check out Mr Ebays TT. Thanks Allan!
Rich

Sorry about the chapping... but I greatly appreciate the work you're doing.  I'm hoping we'll be able to create a reference room to compare the actual differences of things like turntables, bases, arms, carts, etc.  I have a feeling a fully modified 1200 will sound about the same as a Music Hall MMF 7.. and both will cost about the same... we'll see.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

thechairguy

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »
Chair said pretty much what I was going to say.  You can mount just about any arm to a 1200 base as long as you don't mind performing surgery to replace the armboard.  My Kenwood's armboard was replaced with a specially made piece of Corian (the solid surface countertop stuff) created by an ultra-nerd friend. 

It took an hour to fit the Rega to the Technics with the Origin Live armboard...not much surgical skills needed (I assure you, if I did it almost anyone can  :D )

I bought the junker Technics for $150, the arm I had already and the armboard was $80.  It has a $60 Grado Green (with a $70 Shibata stylus on it).  For the $900 or so total spent, I'm not sure how or what could beat it for sonics  :-k

It looks exactly like the Origin Live armboards on the pricey OL decks that garner great reviews regularly.  Somewhere on the site, OL mentions Technics 1200 is a great deck let down only by it's arm...they may just be exactly right.

Corian is a great, very inert, armboard to use anytime you can access it.  I had one on my old Townshend Rock TT and I think it was part and parcel a reason for it's sensational performance  8)

RIP, WEEZ, once again

John
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:06:53 AM by thechairguy »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »
So the technics and other TTs have an arm recess well like that shown on Allan's Ebay Kenwood that you just fit the new armboard? I have seen plinths like SOTA which you screw down the arm directly, so I assumed all that molded aluminum on the Technics would make it unsuitabe for upgrading the arm later.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »
I can post a photo of my arm and base, if you'd like....

thechairguy

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »
So the technics and other TTs have an arm recess well like that shown on Allan's Ebay Kenwood that you just fit the new armboard? I have seen plinths like SOTA which you screw down the arm directly, so I assumed all that molded aluminum on the Technics would make it unsuitabe for upgrading the arm later.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Yes Rich - the 1200 is a trick tri-ply affair....you take off about 30 screws to access the armboard/stock Technis arm.  Once you remove 3 last screws - the stock armboard lifts right off.  You screw in the Origin Live armboard, your Rega arm of choice and assemble the unit again. 

You even have access underneath to unscrew your Rega as needed  :)

It took me about 90 minutes the first time...now knowing what to do, I could do it in 45 minutes, tops.

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/dj-technics-arm.htm
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 09:22:41 AM by thechairguy »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
Can the 1200 stand up to this 'specialized' use?
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1787605

;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 07:06:29 PM »
I think I have bought some records on EBay from that DJ. Gives new meaning to the word scratched record! That was funny. Thanks!
Rich

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 08:47:14 PM »
That's the kind of use for which the 1200 was designed.

That DJ was a pussy, though.