Author Topic: Grounding rods..??  (Read 12941 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Grounding rods..??
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »
Ok with me. So if i used one dedicated circuit and lifted all the grounds but grounded the Pre to a copper rod would that be an issue with code ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

pmkap

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »
Ok with me. So if i used one dedicated circuit and lifted all the grounds but grounded the Pre to a copper rod would that be an issue with code ?

charles

Yes. Bye the bye, the mains safety ground on your CAT (or any CAT including mine) isn't hooked up to anything. While Ken provides a 3 prong IEC inlet, the safety ground isn't attached to anything. Same thing goes for current Ayre components.

The issue isn't 'Code', the issue is that your insurance company isn't going to pay a claim if they can plausibly argue (even if it really isn't the causal factor) that fire, death by electrocution, etc... was caused by your 'improvements'.
Your are free (within Code) to add a ground rod at your service entrance, but it must be bonded within a certain maximum resistance to your present service ground.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:13:06 PM by pmkap »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 02:41:16 PM »
Very happy I asked this question.
I almost ordered a 8 foot rod :duh

Glad to have you guys around

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »

Mike

Thats what your wife said  :rofl:

Mike ,I just had to say it

AcidJazz

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »

Mike

Well...maybe you should...an 8ft. copper rod driven straight into the bowels of the earth would make for a superior ground connection than a strapped to the main water line.  :-k

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »

charles

Yes. Bye the bye, the mains safety ground on your CAT (or any CAT including mine) isn't hooked up to anything. While Ken provides a 3 prong IEC inlet, the safety ground isn't attached to anything. Same thing goes for current Ayre components.

The issue isn't 'Code', the issue is that your insurance company isn't going to pay a claim if they can plausibly argue (even if it really isn't the causal factor) that fire, death by electrocution, etc... was caused by your 'improvements'.
Your are free (within Code) to add a ground rod at your service entrance, but it must be bonded within a certain maximum resistance to your present service ground.

Thanks Paul. Your input is most appreciated.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

ameuba10

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 06:40:59 AM »
What you can do to upgrade your grounds is to replace your current earth ground rod with a grid.  The best way I can describe this is to think of a sheet of grid paper.  You have horizontal and vertical lines, to form a grid.  This will has much more surface area than a standard ground rod.  It will cover a wider area with differences in ground resistances.  This will give you a more solid ground for your household.  Is it necessary or will it make much of a difference? Eh, I'm not sure since I ain't done this myself before.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 08:31:39 AM »
   I understand the safety issue as a Architect and Construction mgr Hugh thanks.  . Accept it and have all gear grounded, since selling the Cat years ago. 
    Thank goodness no issues arose when all grounds were lifted. The grounding rod used now has relpaced the house ground to a water pipe.    :duh Much much better.
   Rich and Paul thanks for the input.

charles

evan1

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 01:36:35 PM »
Actually, I believe it is code in NYC to use your cold water pipe. Unless you don't have a metal pipe then you need 2 rods. In fact, we have to report it to 311 if there is no water pipe ground

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 05:40:06 AM »
I have a ground rod in the earth right where my electrical service enters the house. I didn't put it there. My Fios service straps to it and it does go into the breaker box.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 06:57:26 AM »
Actually, I believe it is code in NYC to use your cold water pipe. Unless you don't have a metal pipe then you need 2 rods. In fact, we have to report it to 311 if there is no water pipe ground

And always be sure to put your grond connections on the street side of the water meter, that way if the meter is ever taken out for servicing the house is still protected.

Safety fist......
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »

Papers please. Ver are your papers. No papers. Heil, you vill be executed.

charles