Author Topic: Hawthorne Audio "Trio" and a center channel sand filled baffle build from Cherry  (Read 7692 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
To my audio buddies.......

I've been building a set of right, left and center channel baffles for a fellow. Thought ya'all might be interested in seeing some pretty pictures. 
The baffles are three layers of 7/8" Cherry that have been laminated together. The center layer of each baffle has been hollowed out and filled with sand to help dissipate the energy caused by three 15" cones slamming back and forth. On top of the right and left baffles are Hawthorne coaxials, as is the center channel. The lower two drivers on each side of the main channels are Hawthorne Audio Augies.
The fellow already has a pair of "Duets", which means he has a pair of coaxes, and a pair of Augies. That means that I've got a pair of Augies and a single coax to "play with" as far as driver measurements (to drill the holes) and the occasional photoshoot "eye candy" to show off.

The pictorial starts when I met the UPS driver (the tractor trailer won't come down my street) and ends where I'm at, as of today, which is 99% finished. His plan is to drive 4.5 hours to personally pick up the baffles, as he doesn't trust a shipping company. If things go as planned, he'll be bringing his other four drivers so I can install them and I'll get a chance to photograph them "in their natural environment", so to speak.

Here we go...........

Meeting the UPS truck as the local school (which happens to be under construction):

The pallet of Cherry wood in my truck:

As soon as I get home, I unpackage the wood:

Squaring the rough edges from the sawmill:

Then I start poking "Augie holes":

A test fit for the Augies:

Twenty one pieces of Cherry wood that are 15" in diameter should come in handy for something....shouldn't it?
More on that later.

Nine pieces of Cherry, ready for glue, and sand:

This should get the juices flowing. That's about what things will look like when it's all said and done. However, there's much more to do:

The middle layer is glued, nailed, and clamped to the rear layer:

After the glue dries, it's time to fill the voids/cavities with sand:

Center channel cavity with sand:

Center channel front layer clamped on. Note the scrap block to protect the face of the baffle. Don't want to damage the wood:

Another baffle sand filled. Note the other baffle in the background that has it's face layer clamped to the middle layer, hence sealing the sand in it's final resting place:

The other baffle: Spreading glue on the middle layer, awaiting the face layer to be clamped on:

Lots of clamps, and lots of blocks to protect the wood:

Another test fit of the drivers. Note; the baffle is laying flat across sawhorses, and I'm standing on a stool to take the picture:

Ok......from all that "scrap" created by using a router to make 21 holes that are 15" in diameter, there SHOULD be something a fellow could do with all that material.
How about using that Cherry to create the legs for the baffles. Here are the individual components used to make six legs. All pieces have been cut out of the 15" holes, then clamped together and sanded to make identical pieces to create the legs.
On the extreme right and left of the photo, you can see the two MDF "test mules" used as a "proof of concept":

Here are the Cherry "scrap" pieces assembled to be used as legs for the Trios:

Ok.........Time for a photoshoot, and final test fit of the drivers.
I wanted to make sure the legs are going to be stable, the drivers fit correctly, and everything is ..... RIGHT !!!!

That's about as far as I've gotten as of today. There's a little more finish work to do before the fellow comes to pick up his speakers, but it looks pretty good.
I'm happy with it.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:43:54 PM by Bob in St. Louis »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Freakin' sweet, Bob!
Great work, I was thinking there were a few photos of you picking up some wood for a project.. then it goes on and well, it's almost finished!  holy smokes!  Are you going to finish them w/ laquer or just leave them?

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Wow, awesome post, awesome project.

Mmmmmmmmm pretty cherry!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
I believe you've found a new career there Bob.   Nice work. 

Seriously, I bet you could do well making custom OB's for people.  Rough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
I wanna see a picture of your hands after you smeared all that titebond on the frame!  :lol:  With the sand covering the dry wood, you got nowhere to wipe it!  My diy speakers all have big glue smears on the inside. That's how you know 1000 years from now that they are authentic richidoo.

How do you keep the sand grains out of the glue? You must be "one of those" kind of perfectionists. ;)

lonewolfny42

Great work Bob !!!  8) :beer:

I'd give Bryan's idea some thought.... :)

Black Sand Cable

Sorry but your saying that UPS delivered that wood undamaged? It' cant be.....can it?  :rofl:

All kidding aside, those look very sweet. Nice job!  :D

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Excellent skills!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Thanks for the complements guys!!

Carl, The fella who owns these is going to drive up from Kentucky next week. He's going to do the finish work himself when he gets back home. I think he's going to do a dark stain. Not sure if it's going to be lacquer, poly, or what...

Bryan and Chris, Yea....I could sooo do this for a living. I enjoy the process very much. However, I'd have to charge a Helluva lot more than than I did for these to make a living out of it. I have no idea what it's worth or what I should have charged. I should have kept track of the hours I've got invested. Suffice it to say that before I got laid off, the amount I'm charging for these I would have earned at my job in about 19 hours "on the clock".  :duh

Rich, to spread the sand I use a steel rule. Then I tap all around the baffle with a rubber mallet to help settle and slightly compact the sand. refill the low spots, then repeat. Then I use a razor blade to remove the sand and dust from the areas that will be coated with glue. Then I pour the glue directly from a gallon jug in a stream around the entire area. Then I'll use a spreader to "snowplow" the glue to the edges. Occasionally the spreader will grab some sand and contaminate the glue area, but it's got to be sand free, otherwise the layers won't seal properly. Yea, it's kinda time consuming. And yes, I am a perfectionist.  ;)

Bob