Author Topic: Power cord cost vs. cost of equipment. How much did you spend?  (Read 19079 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Re: Power cord cost vs. cost of equipment. How much did you spend?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
Necro the OP question. A good place to start is about 250 bucks. You can get cheaper but you need to scope them out. 250 bucks is even a good price for a receiver priced under a grand IMO. I would only consider price to component on the real uber price gear. Like if you are going to spend 20k on an amp you will probably end up with a pc that's over a grand at least.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 12:01:39 PM »
I don't like to think of it as a price ratio... What if you feel a less expensive cord sounds better?Try some different cords at different price points, keep the one YOU feel sounds the best in YOUR system with YOUR ears ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 06:42:45 AM »
Hot Damn. I totally forgot about this thread. Thanks everyone for all the replies. It really helps me out a lot to figure things out. I'm getting swamped at work now but will reply in more detail.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 06:46:14 AM »
I'm with Barry, it's not about price, it's about what works best.
I've heard cheap plastic IC's sound better than some well-liked and more expensive sets... so, $1 cables sounded more accurate than $50 cables in that comparison... And I've heard $4000 cables sound more like music to my ears than $500 cables..

It's all about whether the gear you're choosing brings you closer to what YOU want to hear, rather than what some abstract/obscure point of reference is.  

I think a lot of folks get lost trying to achieve some great sound and don't really know what that is... just 'better'... Once you start enjoying the music, you only need to work to eliminate distractions to an emotional connection with the music.  If you cannot achieve that connection, it is frustrating... and expensive... :(  But it is a learning experience. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 07:31:50 AM »
  Well I'll join in as well. It is in the eye of the beholder, not the price. Some like to use cables to add coloration and others seek neutrality. The only way to find out is to experiment. It is not carved in stone that cable "A" will react to all systems in the same way.
  For me it is the cable that seems to get out of the way allowing more info to come through. Saying that the weight and body most not be lost along the way.
  Using test method of comparing "A" to "B" then to "A" again seems to be the tell all.
   If one has the time to try several designs all the merrier. It will be a learning experience.
   My Epiphany came when an all JPS cabled system [ mine ] was heard compared to what I thought sounded really good. I was not prepared for the change in presentation. What stopped me was the $9600 for the cables. Price does have its place unfortunately for most.
   What amazes me the most is when one is really digging their sound. I mean your getting emotional impact and all of a sudden you insert a different cable whether PC , IC or speaker and the sound is better to your ears.
  Some cabling will make your system sound Hi Fi in direct comparison. It boggles the mind.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.