Author Topic: Bybee Filters.  (Read 6529 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Bybee Filters.
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:02:11 AM »
 Has anyone tried the large gold Bybees for power filtering ? Makes a lot of sense.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Bybee Filters.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »
Has anyone tried the large gold Bybees for power filtering ? Makes a lot of sense.

charles

Don't know how this one slipped passed me for so long, but here are my 2 cents.....

All I can tell you is that the external power transformer that came with my Mensa Mod Art Di/o originally had on large Bybee filter in it. In the process of playing around with the Alan Mayer CBFs I took of the cover to the Mensa supply and in doing so something got moved and one of the leads to the Bybee snapped off right at the edge of the cylinder. It was in parallel with the rest of the power circuit so it's opening up did not interrupt the power flow to the DAC, but I do not think that the unit sounds as good without is. Of course none of his was done as part of a controlled test, so I can't really tell you exactly in what way the sound changes, but i do remember feeling that it change for the worse (not that is sound bad, it just sound less gooderer than it did before the Bybee came (or is it fell) out.

Replacing the Bybee is definitely one of the things on my audio to-do list. It's cheap enough to do. just not something that I have had any time for lately.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

mgalusha

Re: Re: Re: Bybee Filters.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »

I have them in front of my source gear and the amps as part of the bybee power conditioners. In my system they work very well but I'm sure not in all systems.

Full disclosure : I build the bybee conditioners under contract.  I don't sell them but obviously have an interest. The question is would I buy them if I didn't make them - yes if I could afford to but I'm the first to admit they are damned expensive. Mine are both built with damaged chassis and still cost a pile of $$ to build. Jack is mighty proud of the gold "laser welded" Bybee's.

Mike

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »
I originally picked up a single bybee to put on my digital cable that fed my DAC, when I was using one. I can't say for certain that I heard a difference using it there, and when I got rid of the DAC I didn't need it anymore. Maybe I didn't hear much of an improvement because I was using pulse transformers on the interface already, which helped tremendously on reducing grunge and signal degredation.

So I then put it on the + power lead coming into my preamp ... and there it sits doing it's little Bybee thing. Did it improve or do anything for me? Don't know for sure as I'm not about to A-B it back and forth - too much work, but it certainly doesn't appear to be hurting anything and I feel much better that something that costs as much as it does is being used rather than sitting in a parts box.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
Back in 2007, Bolder Cables made me up what at the time was being called the Bybee Super Effect Ultra AC Cord which among other things used Gold Bybees. I demo'd this cord for a month before deciding to spend the big buck for it. I settled on using it on my Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor as it provided the best use of Bybee's which in my book are sound stage depth enhancement. On my Butler amps, they were just too much of a good thing and I much preferred my Kubala-Sosna Emotion cords. I would guess that these Bolder Gold Bybee cables would be the ticket for source gear but as I use a HTPC computer, my Sunfire was the next best thing.

My system has more Bybees than I dare to count (20+), from power to IC, SC, even video. But only the Bolder Bybee Super Effect Ultra AC Cord has the Gold Bybee's and for that cord's price, that was more than enough.  :duh

For this broke jobless audiophool tho, I can only dream & wish what if,,,,,, while being damn happy & appeciative with what I do have when I had an income.   :D

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners