Author Topic: My Turntable Makes A ‘Grinding’ Sound Upon Spin Up To Speed  (Read 5927 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-0X5wrnGsiEU/p_252DCESDGR/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-Esprit-SB-DC-Gloss-Red.html

I used the word grinding, which connotes a metallic sound, though this sounds more of a plastic sort. But I can’t be sure. It goes away after several seconds and the speed light comes on to indicate it is steady. I removed the belt and platter to see if I could see anything amiss. I saw nothing. The spindle appears to have a light film of oil. I don’t know if that is the source of the sound; should it have more? No idea...
When I replaced the platter, started the table, there was no noise. Next start the noise was back. Again, this lasts 3 seconds, then all is quiet.
Mountain out of a molehill? I can accept that. Do tell...
Thanks.
Jim
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: My Turntable Makes A ‘Grinding’ Sound Upon Spin Up To Speed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 07:47:47 PM »
Shouldn’t be making that noise. Wonder if that is a part that briefly engages on startup and then maybe doesn’t retract properly for a few seconds. If you bought it at crutchfield, maybe give them a call. I did a couple of Google searches and couldn’t find anything that related. Good luck
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »
  Sounds like a turn on issue involving belt and or torque from the motor. Contact Manf. Should not make any noise.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 02:19:27 PM »
Thank you for the replies. So now I have a second question...
I want to troubleshoot this a bit. The platter does not connect with the belt. It sits on top of a smaller diameter sub platter to which the belt is attached. The actual record platter weighs 2-3 pounds. Will I do any damage if I remove the record platter and hit start and listen for the noise. I know internal combustion engines can be damaged by spinning them up with no load. That’s why I ask...
After that, if I still hear the noise, can I disconnect the belt from the sub-platter, and hit start. Same concern in my head regarding damage to the motor.
Thanks.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 03:41:11 PM »
Jim, try giving the platter a little start up spin before hitting the power switch. The bigger torque demand comes when starting the platter up from a dead start. Perhaps if the platter is moving when you first power up the motor it will lower that initial torque load and hopefully get rid of the noise.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 09:58:00 AM »
Thank you for the replies. So now I have a second question...
I want to troubleshoot this a bit. The platter does not connect with the belt. It sits on top of a smaller diameter sub platter to which the belt is attached. The actual record platter weighs 2-3 pounds. Will I do any damage if I remove the record platter and hit start and listen for the noise. I know internal combustion engines can be damaged by spinning them up with no load. That’s why I ask...
After that, if I still hear the noise, can I disconnect the belt from the sub-platter, and hit start. Same concern in my head regarding damage to the motor.
Thanks.

No no issues. Safe.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 09:58:36 AM »
  BTW a little Talcom powder on belt might help.

charles

Offline James Edward

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 05:22:17 AM »
Here it is, in painful detail, and a sincere thanks to those who made suggestions.
Troubleshooting was time consuming, because the noise would only happen once on startup every several hours. In other words, I would hear it after the table sat for a number of hours. The longer it sat, the longer the noise would go on, though never more than about three seconds. Shutting the table off, then on within a couple of minutes elicited no noise.
I tried giving the platter a nudge upon startup, same noise.
I inspected the sub platter and no marks.
I tried with just the platter removed. Same noise. I was able to see with a flashlight that no contact was being made underneath the sub platter.
Then:
I tried with sub platter removed(this would be just the motor spinning, no belt attached). Noise again, lower in volume.
Therefore, I believe the sound is coming from the motor itself on startup. I further surmise that possibly there is a bit of lube or something in the motor that needs to be distributed in the first spin up. That might explain why the noise subsides for several hours after an initial ‘cold start’. Similar to an engine where the oil takes several hours to all collect back into the oil pan.
Truthfully, the noise isn’t very loud, I do have to listen for it, and therefore I capitulate to it. I’m going to send a query to Pro-Ject and see what they have to say.
Thanks,
Jim

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 08:12:08 AM »
Here it is, in painful detail, and a sincere thanks to those who made suggestions.
Troubleshooting was time consuming, because the noise would only happen once on startup every several hours. In other words, I would hear it after the table sat for a number of hours. The longer it sat, the longer the noise would go on, though never more than about three seconds. Shutting the table off, then on within a couple of minutes elicited no noise.
I tried giving the platter a nudge upon startup, same noise.
I inspected the sub platter and no marks.
I tried with just the platter removed. Same noise. I was able to see with a flashlight that no contact was being made underneath the sub platter.
Then:
I tried with sub platter removed(this would be just the motor spinning, no belt attached). Noise again, lower in volume.
Therefore, I believe the sound is coming from the motor itself on startup. I further surmise that possibly there is a bit of lube or something in the motor that needs to be distributed in the first spin up. That might explain why the noise subsides for several hours after an initial ‘cold start’. Similar to an engine where the oil takes several hours to all collect back into the oil pan.
Truthfully, the noise isn’t very loud, I do have to listen for it, and therefore I capitulate to it. I’m going to send a query to Pro-Ject and see what they have to say.
Thanks,
Jim

It appears there is a defective shaft of the motor or the motor itself. Ther are no lubed parts that I know of in the motor. Call Pro-Ject.

charles

Offline James Edward

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 02:49:43 PM »
No, never solved. I simply use a manual spin (which does make the noise for a second or two), then engage the motor. I just don’t have the (insert your interpretation here) to pursue this further. Truth be told, my digital front end- the Esoteric player, and a lot of the streaming through Tidal, where I use the Esoteric’s DAC input, sounds better. I’ve had other analog systems, and they’ve always sounded better relative to my digital.
I think the Ortofon Red cartridge supplied with my turntable is rather poor sounding. I’ve never had a cartridge accentuate surface noise and be as overall unlistenable as this is. Ok is about the best I can say.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0