Author Topic: Tonearm tweak  (Read 10315 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Tonearm tweak
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:05:33 AM »
I read a Fremer review a few issues back about some eurpoean turntable with an outboard tonearm pod. They did something a littloe different. Yes, it looked massive, but they also had a recess in the bottom with a spike in it. Allegedly to transfer energy from the tonearm to the table the pod sits on.

I know many of you can't do what I am about to suggest because the base of your tonearm is inside a cabinet surrounding the turntable. But if you have an exposed turntable and can get under the tonearm try, by whatever means possible, to spike the bottom of the tonearm - or perhaps the plate/clamp that secures it to the TT plinth -  to the platform the table sits on.

I heard a nice tightening of the sound, more detail, maybe better bass, and no deterioration in any other aspect. Maybe it really is draining excess vibration away? Maybe it's adding mass of a sort? All I know is it made a change for the better.

As you can see, I needed to get the height just right - a bit of a trick unless you can find some kind of adjustable spike thingy.

Enjoy,
Bob

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:09:19 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Tonearm tweak
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:25:36 PM »
Looks like some compliant layers in there too? Coasters?  :)

The tonearm is firmly attached to the plinth, right? So the new support element is just wedged in there as tight as various bits permit?

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 03:17:18 AM »
Those are EAR damping pads. Basically a sandwich of aluminum with some compliant stuff in between. I got a few of these some years ago when they first introduced them as samples. They work pretty nicely to get things just right. But I guess you could use most any type of shim.

The point is attached to the metal plate that I use to mount the tonearm to the plinth. The bottom rests on the maple butcher block shelf the whole TT sits on. Yeah, just as tight as I can without raising the TT off its feet.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:28:34 AM »
I see a problem [-X

the brass hasn't been cryo'd :thumb:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:03:29 AM »
What I think is happening is your breaking up the vibration wave moving along the bottom of the tone arm assembly.  Instead of one long wave moving across you got two smaller ones. Or something like that.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »
If it fits underneath, a small turnbuckle would work.   A few bux at your local hardware store.

Stand it vertically on shelf, turn screws to make it longer until it snugs up against underside of arm plate.

If desired, some Herbies (or other material) can be placed between screw head and shelf,  and / or arm plate.     :thumb:      8)
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
I see a problem [-X

By "cryoing" the brass, it may change the sonics... you are changing the molecular structure...

I "cryo" all my scissors; they never need sharpening...

"Cryoing" race engine parts is very common and leads to a competitive advantage over "non-cryo'd" parts...

To me & countless others, you can clearly hear the difference between a "cryo'd" audio cable vs. a "non-cryo'd" one... it's not subtle either...

Get two identical CD's; cryo one of them & leave the other one stock... you should be able to hear the difference...

Cryo does not essentially mean better... I do not prefer the sound of cryo'd silver...

Also, cryo is different for different metals. For audio, to my ears, brass improves the most, followed by copper...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 05:08:43 PM »
Other questionable tweaks by Bob

Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »
I see a problem [-X

By "cryoing" the brass, it may change the sonics... you are changing the molecular structure...

I "cryo" all my scissors; they never need sharpening...

"Cryoing" race engine parts is very common and leads to a competitive advantage over "non-cryo'd" parts...

To me & countless others, you can clearly hear the difference between a "cryo'd" audio cable vs. a "non-cryo'd" one... it's not subtle either...

Get two identical CD's; cryo one of them & leave the other one stock... you should be able to hear the difference...

Cryo does not essentially mean better... I do not prefer the sound of cryo'd silver...

Also, cryo is different for different metals. For audio, to my ears, brass improves the most, followed by copper...

My $0.02,
Pete

In that case I'm bringing over my scissors and goalie skates!! :lol:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 06:09:03 AM »

Pete

Pete, have you tried this? I get cyroing metals, but I would be afraid that the low temps would cause the polycarbonate in the CDs to crack as plastics tend to get brittle even at "human" cold temperatures.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 06:27:02 AM »
Yea and what about tubes! ?

Offline tmazz

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:32:22 AM »
Yea and what about tubes! ?

Plenty of places sell cyroed tubes, but we are talking glass envelopes there, not plastic.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 09:46:10 AM »

Pete

Pete, have you tried this? I get cyroing metals, but I would be afraid that the low temps would cause the polycarbonate in the CDs to crack as plastics tend to get brittle even at "human" cold temperatures.

Tom,
Yes, with two identical Pink Floyd discs... with controlled cryo (1 deg F drop per minute), there was no damage to the CD... Pretty easy to hear the difference; even my youngest daughter could pick out the differences...

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 08:41:51 PM »

Pete

Tom,
Yes, with two identical Pink Floyd discs... with controlled cryo (1 deg F drop per minute), there was no damage to the CD... Pretty easy to hear the difference; even my youngest daughter could pick out the differences...

Pete

I guess as long as you don't move the disc when it is cold it is OK. I was just going by my experience with Tupperware getting very brittle and shattering in the freezer.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
  Interesting tweak Bob. the Mapleshade TT and arm tweaks have always interested me as it makes sense to separate the arm from the TT as well as the cart. The LP with the MS mat is separated as well.
    Just never got around to trying the Mapleshade approach. Someday.
    heard a demo of the mat at Sidney's home [ mapleshade dealer ] and was very impressed. cleaner an, more dynamic and DEAD quiet.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.