Author Topic: Ortofon Quintet Bronze & Black  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Ortofon Quintet Bronze & Black
« on: February 13, 2015, 05:47:57 AM »
Thinking of upgrading my RP3 to a LOMC cart.  Any of use guys listen to either of these??
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Ortofon Quintet Bronze & Black
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »
  No hands on experience however for what it is worth Ortofon was recommended to me by three musicians. Great company and support as well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »
The Bronze is the smoothest sounding in the line (a more traditional analog sound), but doesn't have quite the speed or high frequency extension of the Black.  If you can afford the Black, it's worth it. But I think anyone who really likes analog would find the Bronze to be a happy match.  There are some reviews online if you want to get some other opinions.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline Brap

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
Thanks SD -- I fully agree with your analysis. In speaking with the ORT folks, they very, very high on the Bronze, hence my decision.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:41:29 PM »
Hey Brap,
 Check out the Lyra's also. I have a Kleos SL which sounds fantastic.
I had a dynavector xx2 mk.2 which sounds dull and boring compared to the Lyra. The Delos suppose to be excellent for the money.

How's your Druids working out, loving mine?

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline Brap

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 05:40:48 AM »
Joe - thanks
Unfortunately, the budget does not allow me to go to the "next stage"  Looked at the Delos originally until I got sticker shock - ouch.  Hopefully at 1/2 the price I'll be happy with the Quintet.

Absolutely loving the Druids and so are friends who come over and hear them. Been recording to my RTR quite a few direct to disc LP's.  Concord, Van Gelder studios. Great sound. Also hooked up the ST-70 and took a listen -- nice but prefer my OTL instead. You coming down for Axpona in April?  I'm looking forward to hooing up with Sean and Gerrit from Zu.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 06:42:57 AM »
Brap would love to go, but I have been real busy at work. It doesn't look like I'll have any days off in a row until springtime. I'm not complaining making a lot of OT.👍
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline Brap

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:44:58 AM »
Too bad you can't make it.  But now I know why you have the Lyra Kleos :D
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline Brap

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:15:13 AM »
Well, got to tell you, the Bronze Quintet is really sweet. Listened to some of my "spec" vinyl and there is sure a difference with this LOMC compared to the MM ElyssII.  Highs are very precise, clean and resounding. Soundstage has really improved also. Very happy with the decision thus far.  Not to get down with more serious listening.  Only issue with the RP3 is that a spacer was required to elevate the entire tonearm more and standard weight now hits the dustcover when closed. Not a huge deal but never thought of that! 
Thanks for everyone's input and again, this is a great cart. Now thinking about a reasonable vinyl wash system. Thought again??
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »
Only issue with the RP3 is that a spacer was required to elevate the entire tonearm more and standard weight now hits the dustcover when closed. Not a huge deal but never thought of that! 

I had a similar problem with my VPI HW-19 when I upgraded from the Mk III to the Mk IV platter. The Mk IV platter is quite a bit thicker and after I installed it the dust cover would not close because it ended up hitting the top of the record clamp.

VPI's answer, a new high clearance dust cover at a cost of about $175 (which has since been discontinued and become very hard to find.)

Tom's answer, installed a plastic cabinet bumper in each of the front corners of the walnut base (the little self sticking things you put on kitchen cabinet doors to keep them from banging when you close them.) This keeps the dust cover from closing completely and adds enough clearance to close the lid with the clamp in place. Cost -  $1.57 for a pack of 8 and I have three spare sets for when the adhesive wears out. If you didn't know that the dust cover wasn't sitting flush on the base you would probably never notice it  and heck, the $173 I save could by a hell of a lot of albums at Princeton Record Exchange.  :thumb:

Details on the bumpers here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-1-2-in-Clear-Plastic-Self-Adhesive-Bumpers-8-Pack-50660/100019610?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100019610-_-N

You can pick up similar ones at any hardware store. I actually found brown ones that blend right in the the walnut base that they are attached to.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Brap

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
Tmazz -- great DYI idea and thanks.  Actually found some of these the other day for the wife for kitchen cabinets to stop the banging!!
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1