Author Topic: Budget record cleaning tips?  (Read 6934 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Budget record cleaning tips?
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »
My friend is setup with his new budget system, says it sounds good but his records are filthy and noisy. He's worried about damaging the stylus with the dirty records. He's looking for an effective but inexpensive way to clean records. He is wondering about Disc Doctor stuff for use without a RCM?

I told him about Gem Dandy.  http://www.gmanalog.com/dandy-hydraulic-cleaning.php

Found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GROOVMASTER-Label-Saver-45-RPM-single-33-1-3-LP-Album-Vinyl-Record-Cleaner-/390947869768

He is welcome to come use my rcm anytime, but that's not easy with his schedule. I don't know how many records he has.
Thanks guys
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:41:16 PM by richidoo »

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Budget record cleaning tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
Something I can help/share my experiences with.

I have a Spin Clean somewhere in my garage but can’t find it. This is what I have used and still use when I have the time/patience. As of late I’ve just been playing the real clean records and only cleaning with a Discwasher brush and vacuuming the dust up. That last bit of dust has been a pain in the butt for me and am working on it.

For cleaning fluid I use the recipe mentioned in this video. I believe it is 90% alcohol, Jet Dry Dishwasher fluid and distilled water. I also followed most of the cleaning process in the 1st video and the 2nd one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLGo5K5m_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67C3KlBtxYw

This is the brush I used when applying the DIY record cleaning fluid. I got it from Target for a couple of bucks.

I got the lazy susans shown in the 2nd Youtube video at a Big Lots close out store.

I already had a shop vac vacuum but I believe they can be as cheap as $30.

The vacuum attachment I got to clean the records was this one from ebay. $30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Vac-Record-Cleaner-Vacuum-Wand-Use-Your-Own-Vacuum-On-33s-45s-78s-/310643011047?pt=US_Vinyl_Record_Cleaning&hash=item4853c42de7

Some people have made their own wands but I just don’t have the patience or time so the $30 was worth it for me.

I got some chamois cloths and micro fiber cloths from either Autozone or a $.99 store.

To clean the stylus I use a Magic Eraser designated just for the stylus.

The stylus brush I have came with the Denon cart I bought.

These methods aren’t pretty and are more labor intensive than using a VPI cleaner. It is better than nothing though. I’d rather go through these processes than messing up the needle on a AT150MLX playing dirty records.  That is one sweet cart.

Also thanks for posting those holders that protect the labels. I may have to try those.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
Thanks Sleepy, I like that vac wand!  Jet Dry, that's a new one. It's a wetting agent I think?

I heard this morn that his 4yo got into the TT, not sure about the stylus yet.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »
I would be real careful using those paint pads. All of the ones I have ever had have metal tabs that attache the pads to the plastic holder. If you press down too hard they will scratch the record. You can use them, just have a light touch with it.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »
I concur that the Disk Doctor products are well worth the investment. Plus, if you get the concentrate, you can clean oodles and oodles of records. I haven't run out of my bottle for 10 years now.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
I would be real careful using those paint pads. All of the ones I have ever had have metal tabs that attache the pads to the plastic holder. If you press down too hard they will scratch the record. You can use them, just have a light touch with it.

they make them without the metal clips now. You don't reuse the holder you throw the whole thing out.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »

they make them without the metal clips now. You don't reuse the holder you throw the whole thing out.

Good to know. I've never seen them.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:24:30 AM »
Here's a thread on AC that may be of interest:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127804.0
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 05:57:57 AM »
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata