Author Topic: Lloyd Walkers latest crystal tweak  (Read 19457 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Lloyd Walkers latest crystal tweak
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »
Has anyone else seen the discussions at Audiogon about Lloyd Walkers black diamond tweak? Apparently he now sells black colored crystals that you stick to your headshell or phono cartridge. He states that it "reduces the EMI/RFI and static electrical noise at your cartridge and record while it is playing." I don;t think these are actually diamonds, but rather black quartz.

More info here:

https://walkeraudio.com/shop/crystal/

So instead of paying $395 to Walker Audio I found a clear rounded quartz crystal and glued it to the front of my cartridge with a tiny dab of super glue. Of course I re-balanced the arm to account for the added mass.  I've been playing records this way for about a month now.

No overtly obvious change, but things did indeed sound nice. So today I decided to put it to the test. I pulled out 88 Basie Street, an album many of us are intimately familiar with for it's great dynamics, soundstaging, space, extension and great music.

(1) Sounded really nice. spacious, meaty, textured.

(2) I pulled off the crystal and re-balanced the arm. OK, so things definitely seem a bit flatter now. Less nuance. Less space. Absolutely a difference was heard.

(3) Glued the crystal back in place and re-balanced the arm again. Yup, there's that nuance, space and dimensionality.

Conclusion: so I guess this did make a difference to my ears, whether from actual RFI/EMI reduction or from just having added mass at the headshell - I don't know. But I did hear it; subtle but there.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Lloyd Walkers latest crystal tweak
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
Another shot from the front.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
   Still liking the tweak ? Same affect ? Any changes ? Quartz ? Inquiring minds want to know.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:10:01 AM »
You should come over and listen  :thumb:

Yes, liking the tweak. Yes, it doesn't look so great (but I bet you could use a smaller crystal than I did with the same effect). It was decidedly better on when I A-B'ed it on and off. No question of the increased soundstage and clarity.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:13:30 AM »
You should come over and listen  :thumb:

Yes, liking the tweak. Yes, it doesn't look so great (but I bet you could use a smaller crystal than I did with the same effect). It was decidedly better on when I A-B'ed it on and off. No question of the increased soundstage and clarity.

Call me a skeptic: I see it as adding "mass" on the end of the tonearm. Maybe a glob of blutack works just as well :roll:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 07:51:03 AM »
Here's a pic of my new Lyra Kleos with a smaller crystal stuck to the front. Just a small dab of moretite, nothing permanent. I did try the large crystal on top of the headshell, but this little guy on the front works better.

Smooths things out a bit and widens the soundstage. Verified these effects again by adding and removing (and rebalancing at each step)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:36:10 AM »
For those naysayers who read this and say, "what the hell could this possibly do", here's a video showing the electromagnetic field properties of quartz crystals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuZLO2pRpbs

This is actually a well understood science, not myth, not just mass. And what is a phono cartridge but an electromechanical signal generator that relies heavily on magnetic fields.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:51:15 AM »
   Cool stuff bob. The Synergystic PHT is another winner with two flavors for $199. Purple Haze and Blue Velvet flavor as described.
    The difference is the PHT works on resonance and the crystal magnetic field. Bob Synergystic uses museum putty whatever hat is to mount them.
     It would be interesting to compare the two methods. When Steve finally gets mine we can have some fun comparing. They weigh .0001gr plus putty.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:45 AM »
The museum putty is the secret.

The crystals and aluminum parts are just thrown in to justify the cost.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:20:59 AM »
   Back in the day Mortite was the cart tweak of all times. We have come a long way from just adding mass it appears.
    Quartz being a piezoelectric material has its merits with magnetic fields and the PHT addresses resonance.
     The asking price always introduces some sort of issue. Thank goodness for 30 day trials. After the marketing hype at least we can evaluate and return if not pleased with the change.  BTW not a Synergystic dealer.

charles

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:18 AM »
Just BS'n

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »
Occam (Paul Kaplan) has responded over at AC on this topic. He has done a lot of research with crystals, notably in his power cords but also elsewhere. He also heard an improvement putting these on a cartridge.

However, he says metal bodied cartridges require more than one crystal. I just might try puttying one more on each side to see if there is further improvement.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
Just BS'n

Busting ? Gotta have some fun eh :lol:

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 12:49:06 PM »
Occam (Paul Kaplan) has responded over at AC on this topic. He has done a lot of research with crystals, notably in his power cords but also elsewhere. He also heard an improvement putting these on a cartridge.

However, he says metal bodied cartridges require more than one crystal. I just might try puttying one more on each side to see if there is further improvement.

What is AC ? Traitor. :rofl: :rofl:  After TWL success with crystals on the plus series All jump in.  
     Size and weight matter every time :roll: Hey Richidoo carries then in his pocket for good reason, they work.

charles

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:03:32 PM by rollo »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
Crystals tend to enhance the performance of whatever they are near. So carrying them in your pocket Rich leads to ....

Hmmmmm!