Author Topic: My custom made walnut Garrard 401 plinth...after 18 months  (Read 17097 times)

jsaliga

My custom made walnut Garrard 401 plinth...after 18 months
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
I started to dust off my turntable this morning and noticed that the plinth had a number of hairline cracks.  :(

They are not that easy to see under normal room light, but they do show up well under a camera flash.

I emailed the builder of this plinth, James Campbell, and sent him a photo.  I am not looking forward to tearing down my deck...but I will have to because I cannot allow this to stand.  The plinth will have to be repaired or replaced.

--Jerome

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: My custom made walnut Garrard 401 plinth...after 18 months
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »
 :(  Good luck, Jerome!
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:44:03 AM »
Unfortunately, it will likely have to be replaced. The cracks are due to the drying of the wood causing it to shrink. This is why it's important to used wood that has been fully cured (naturally or in a kiln).

It's a shame as that is a nice looking plinth. Wood provides a beautiful, natural look but requires some research when buying from a supplier knowing how "seasoned" it is.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

jsaliga

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
I figured that replacement would be the most likely course of action and have already started shopping for another plinth.

I sent a note to Chris Harban at Woodsong Audio.  I hope to talk to him sometime this week.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »
I spoke to Chris at Woodsong Audio a few minutes ago.  Here is the plinth he recommended...

It's expensive.  $1,800 with two articulating armboards.  He said the reason the plinth I have cracked is because the solid walnut that is glued to the plywood contracted.  His plinths use veneers and he said they don't crack or split like mine.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »
Oh, and the wait is 4 months.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »
I heard back from James and he offered to put a new top on the plinth.  He said he uses kiln dried wood at about 6% moisture content.  I know nothing about wood and wood working so what he says here doesn't really mean anything to me.

I thought it was a nice offer and more than I expected, honestly.  I'll need to think about it.  I'm not sure I want to tear my deck down and go through all of that only to have the problem occur again in another year or two.

But to be honest I'm not thrilled at the thought of spending $1,800 on a new plinth either.

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
Eek! that's a scary sight! Nice of the guy to offer the fix.  

The split is caused by the drying out of wood, usually happens over the winter when heated air is very dry. Could be that it absorbed moisture in the summer then dried in the winter and cracked where there were screws or internal stresses. 6% moisture is very good for construction, but it needs to be sealed after construction to maintain stable moisture content through the seasons. A coat of oil or thin varnish is not enough. All surfaces of the box inside and out need to be entombed in urethane, imo. General Finishes makes excellent quality sealers that are easy to apply and look great. A few coats of oil Arm R Seal, or High Performance water Polyurethane. I like the ArmRSeal, it dries hard, resists scratching and the satin looks beautiful, like Ethan Allen satin lacquer, but it's easy to wipe on. Smooth out any dust bumps between coats with some steel wool.  

The nice thing about plywood or MDF with veneer on top is that the box is stable to moisture variations. There is no grain that can crack all the way through the boards like real wood. Moisture variations can't crack plywood or MDF so the veneer has a stable substrate. But even veneer still needs to be sealed well, but not as critical, oil rub is OK.
Good luck
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:11:46 PM by richidoo »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 06:10:44 AM »
I've found the best way to avoid this is ...

- poly the damn thing, or use Tung oil or something to seal the finish. Prevents moisture and drying and avoids splits, but then, it's a poly like finish and not "natural"

- apply lemon oil once a month in the winter to keep that wood moist.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:54 AM »
I've found the best way to avoid this is ...

- poly the damn thing, or use Tung oil or something to seal the finish. Prevents moisture and drying and avoids splits, but then, it's a poly like finish and not "natural"

- apply lemon oil once a month in the winter to keep that wood moist.

Satin finish Tung Oil, will give you the protection and not look anywhere as glossy as Poly.

Just my 2¢

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »
   I like the two arm configuration. I doubt the replacement wood would do the same. Unless you have the TT in a dry room or in sunlight it really should not crack.
   Do you know if this happened to any other of his work ? If not I would get the new top installed.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:15:44 AM »
As mentioned, even veneered pieces have to be sealed properly depending on the type of veneer. all wood veneer without any backing can crack just as easily as hardwood.

I'm sure anyone selling an $1,800 plinhth already knows all this. We can talk about wood working all day but in the end, I guess thats not your concern as long as you get a quality piece :D

Best of luck and keep us posted on your decision.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

jsaliga

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I sent James Campbell a note and expressed an interest in working with him on the issue.  I'm not that eager to spend $1,800 on another plinth, especially if James can resolve this problem for me.  Since James offered to replace the top I asked him about some of the things you guys suggested, and told him I would gladly pay for any additional services from him that would help to protect my investment.

Let's see what he comes back with.

--Jerome