Author Topic: Cartridge Impedance and step ups  (Read 4043 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Cartridge Impedance and step ups
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:02:27 AM »
I was speaking to Dave Slagle about his step up transformers. He needed to know the cartridge internal impedance and it's output to properly wind the transformer. The output needs to be known so you can determine the proper gain ratio to step it up (10/1, 20/1, etc).

As far as I understand, the impedance needs to be known so you can get proper loading. But is there more to that than just loading?

So I normally use a Hagerman Piccolo head amp as my step up. It has variable loading and variable gain. Is there any way else to "optomize" this based on the cartridge impedance, or is it all just about the loading?

(Yes, I asked Jim Hagerman, but got a quickie answer "it's got variable loading - what else do you want").
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Cartridge Impedance and step ups
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »
Sometimes loading down the cart to 100 Ohms can work wonders. A good rule of thumb according to Fremer is 100x the output. So say it is 1.5 mv then load at 150 Ohms to start. the higher the load the brighter the sound.
    Then there is Harry Pearsons opinion. He feels all should be loaded at 47K. He feels if the cart cannot perform at 47K it sucks. Go figure.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
I've got a 220 and a 440 loading option on my step up. One sounds just a hair too thin and the other a hair too closed. So I added a 100 ohm resistor in series with the 220 resistor to make it 330 ohms, and now things are just right with my .3ohm cartridge impedance.

100X it is!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »
I've got a 220 and a 440 loading option on my step up. One sounds just a hair too thin and the other a hair too closed. So I added a 100 ohm resistor in series with the 220 resistor to make it 330 ohms, and now things are just right with my .3ohm cartridge impedance.

100X it is!

The Story of Bobby-locks and the Step-Up Transformer...

Once upon a time, there was an audiophile named Bobby-locks.  He went for a listen downstairs in his audio room.  Pretty soon, he came upon a stereo. 

On the audio rack, there were all kinds of electronics, including a turntable and Step-up transformer. Bobby-locks was hungry for vinyl, so he listened with the Step-up at 220.

"This setting is too thin!" he exclaimed. :roll:

So, he listened with the Step-up at the second setting of 330.

"This setting is too closed," he said :?

So, he added a 100ohm resistor in series to the 220 resistor to make it 300 ohms. 8)

"Ahhh, this setting is just right," he said happily and he listened to LP's all night! :D

The End.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »

100X it is!

:yay2: :dj: :D/  May the bird of cartridges fly over your TT.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »

100X it is!

The Story of Bobby-locks and the Step-Up Transformer...

Once upon a time, there was an audiophile named Bobby-locks.  He went for a listen downstairs in his audio room.  Pretty soon, he came upon a stereo. 

On the audio rack, there were all kinds of electronics, including a turntable and Step-up transformer. Bobby-locks was hungry for vinyl, so he listened with the Step-up at 220.

"This setting is too thin!" he exclaimed. :roll:

So, he listened with the Step-up at the second setting of 330.

"This setting is too closed," he said :?

So, he added a 100ohm resistor in series to the 220 resistor to make it 300 ohms. 8)

"Ahhh, this setting is just right," he said happily and he listened to LP's all night! :D

The End.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SN

So the moral of the story is the sep up stepped out  :lol:

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
Too funny.

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:28:01 AM »

100X it is!

Umm, to get 300 ohms from .3 ohms you must multiply by 1000, not 100..... 

I knew my math degree would come in handy some day!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »
  OK OK whats a zero or two  :rofl: thanks.

charles