Author Topic: Accurate TT speed measurement  (Read 4626 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Accurate TT speed measurement
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:46:31 AM »
Sure, there are lots of spotted disks out there to help you judge if your TT is spinning at an accurate speed, or to set your speed controller correctly. But they are a pain in the butt to use, since you have to put them on and take them off the platter to make the check. Most you can't use with a record and a stylus in the groove, unless you print out one of the free paper ones available on various websites.

Sure it's free, but less than perfect.

Here's a solution for less than $15. I just ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive (priobably from China, so it may take a few weeks).

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Digital-Laser-Tachometer-Contact/dp/B004Q8L894/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1344606454&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+laser+tachometer

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:48:28 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Accurate TT speed measurement
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:17:53 AM »
  Nice find Bob. Should work out well. Getting the proper speed is key to good sound.
  Should be done before, VTA or Azmuith adjustments. BTW the KAB strobe  disc system measures to within .03% accuracy. Price is $109 from the Needledoctor. However the Tach at that price appears to be a no brainer.

charles
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:31:19 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
Here's another cheapo gadget that Fremer posted on his new Analogue Planet site. It's a 45x pocket microscope with built in light that you can use for VTA approximations and seeing stylus wear. $7.49 at Overstock.com with free shipping.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Skque-45X-Mini-Pocket-Microscope-with-2-LED-Lights/6817866/product.html

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
My digital tachometer arrived. It works perfectly - simple and easy.

Just cut a small piece of the reflective tape (about 3/16" square) and put it on your platter edge. Then hold the tachometer pointing at the tape and push the button. A red LED shines on the tape and will give you a reading after 3 passes, and continue to read if you continue to hold down the button. Makes adjusting speed nice and easy, with the needle in the groove and a record playing, or not.

Waiting for the pocket microscope to arrive next.

Enjoy

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:01:52 AM »
  What was the speed before you corrected it ? How much of a difference was had with proper speed ?
   I would think PRAT is much improved. Tonality as well. Just makes good sense, again great find Bob.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 07:22:24 AM »
I was up at 34.7 RPM ... a little fast. I brought it down to 32, just to hear the difference and the PRAT dropped off dramatically - everything just dragged. It's at 33.5 now and I like it better just that itsy bit fast.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:26:17 AM »
Cool, 34.7 not bad for setting by ear first. I perfer a bit faster as well being an "X" Linn Man. Let the toes be a tappin. Enjoy !! Time for an Audiosyndrome meeting with the new speakers and fine tuning.

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 03:45:01 AM »
Well, the pocket microscope arrived. It is far, far smaller than you would ever think from the pictures. The whole thing is about 1" long  :lol:

You have to get really, really close to anything to bring it into focus. So, I can see my stylus head on but I can't get close enough from the side to focus it in. The body of the cartridge gets in the way.

2two

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 06:55:40 AM »
Well, the pocket microscope arrived. It is far, far smaller than you would ever think from the pictures. The whole thing is about 1" long  :lol:

You have to get really, really close to anything to bring it into focus. So, I can see my stylus head on but I can't get close enough from the side to focus it in. The body of the cartridge gets in the way.

Did you ever try using the camera on your Droid or Iphone and zoom all the way in ? I just tried it and you get a pretty good view of the stylus.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:08:33 AM »
Bob took the plunge and bought the laser tach. I set the speed by ear. Anxious to see how close I got.
     BTW you can borrow my real microscope anytime you need to check the stylus.

charles