Author Topic: Oh Man!!! Real Record Cleaners ROCK!!!  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Oh Man!!! Real Record Cleaners ROCK!!!
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
So a couple of weeks ago I got a Nitty Gritty 2.5FI (Thanks Paul :thumb:) but the little rubber plug on the bottom had broken so I only got to try it for the first time today...

I took this old Simon and Garfunkel record that was from my wife's collection, ie no inner sleeve,  obviously not well cared for over its life, gave it a cleaning, and gave it a listen...

WOW!!! I was blown away! There was no background noise, no pops, no clicks, just sweet music!

I had no idea that a good record cleaner could make so much of a difference :duh  but I know I'll be spinning more vinyl now  :thumb:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

eleazar

Re: Oh Man!!! Real Record Cleaners ROCK!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
Another convert. So Barry when you want to met a Double Deckers  :lol: I met up there today with mfsoa  :thumb:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »
Bill - next teach him how to steam the ones the RCM doesn't get completely clean.

That reminds me, got a pile to clean.

An especially filthy copy of Born To Run I bought when it first came out came out of its jacket for first time in over a decade. The layer of fine dirt/dust covering it completely made me think it had been in a cat box all this time.

Wiped it down with cleaner fluid and Discwasher brush, still too noisy. Then put side one  through the RCM, now almost no noise. Side two got RCM and steam, no noise whatsoever.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:00:21 PM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »
Ha! No need to head out for more media just yet, I've got 800 some pieces of vinyl here that I haven't heard in decades ;) And yes I want to know about the steam cleaning. I've got a commercial  steamer here, so I just need some instruction on its use :thumb:

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:20:06 AM »
Hi Barry

I don't know if you ever saw this video about steam cleaning records but I found it to be very cool. A bit labor intensive but cool nonetheless to me.

Vinyl record cleaning with steam

I haven't tried it yet because I don't have all the equipment to do so. I got a Spin Clean and will give that a shot.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
Thanks for that Sleepy :thumb: That looks a little more labor intensive than I'm willing to go on a regular basis, but for some older and crustier records it's probably in order. Since I've got a Nitty Gritty, that cleans from the underside, I'm going to have to figure out a different method though.

eleazar

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »
Thanks for that Sleepy :thumb: That looks a little more labor intensive than I'm willing to go on a regular basis, but for some older and crustier records it's probably in order. Since I've got a Nitty Gritty, that cleans from the underside, I'm going to have to figure out a different method though.

Barry I hope that wasn't me you were referring too.  :rofl: :rofl:

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
Barry - Glad you're enjoying the NG.  It does a pretty good job for its intended purpose.

Paul

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:37:36 PM »

Yup - I steam the dirtier ones only.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:20:22 AM »
Just a tip here. If steam cleaning on a VPI HW-16.5 as is shown in the picture, keep in mind that the VPI is made out of MDF, which will start to disintergrate if it gets too wet. If you are steaming on the HW-16.5 platter just make sure to take a towel and dry the whole area thoughly at the end of each steaming session to make sure you don't end up damaging the RCM in the process.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jtwrace

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »
What's a better cleaner the Nitty Gritty or the VPI?

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 07:30:26 AM »
I've only used the VPI so can't say, but the fundamental answer is - "the one you're more likely to use".

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
VPI has a full size platter which allows you to apply pressure and brush movement from above with hand brush. I think the NG platter is to small to allow any brush scrubbing or pressure.  But it's the results that matter and it sounds like Barry is a happy with the results! But he is missing out on playing with the suds.  :D

The vacuuming efficiency is the most important part. Most machines scrub well enough, but the rinse and vac is the real benefit of a machine cleaning. My fluid works well, but likes extra rinsing, which the VPI easily allows. Maybe the NG fluid doesn't need extra rinsing so the NG bottom vacuuming works as well, or better?

Offline jtwrace

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »
VPI has a full size platter which allows you to apply pressure and brush movement from above with hand brush. I think the NG platter is to small to allow any brush scrubbing or pressure.  But it's the results that matter and it sounds like Barry is a happy with the results! But he is missing out on playing with the suds.  :D

The vacuuming efficiency is the most important part. Most machines scrub well enough, but the rinse and vac is the real benefit of a machine cleaning. My fluid works well, but likes extra rinsing, which the VPI easily allows. Maybe the NG fluid doesn't need extra rinsing so the NG bottom vacuuming works as well, or better?
Thanks Rich.

I guess it was a more of who has used them both and which did they prefer and why.   :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »
  For me the vote goes to VPI. Using one for over 15 years. Zero issues cleans great.
   However I believe it is the cleaning solution that is key.
So far the most affective has been Lart du Son. Many homemade solutions I'm sure work. Squeaky clean is the end result with Lart stuff.
  I use the steam method on new finds and old LPs like me that have not been played in years.   

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.