Author Topic: Slagle Silver Step Up transformers....WOW!!!!  (Read 9084 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Slagle Silver Step Up transformers....WOW!!!!
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »
Just got Daves new silver wound transformers.
Nickel cores wound up with silver wire on both sides, loading done on the secondary.

Will post pictures tomorrow, I have both the copper step ups and the silvers, both are great but the silvers are super duper musical.

I will post fotos and some more info tomorrow right now too much to listen to....

gotta go.,......is too much fun.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Slagle Silver Step Up transformers....WOW!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:18:04 AM »
I would recommend that if you cannot afford these( or any) silver wound transformers that you don't listen to them. Because they will make you look for things to sell to get them.

Makes me wonder about silver output transformers :drool:
Must be great.
The silver provides a level of musical involvement, that the others come close to but silver brings over the top. It is sort of addictive.

I can only imagine the emotions that can be drawn out of music from an all silver system like the Audio Note top level stuff. Super pricey for sure but it must be able to render tears and joy.

Will post more later but for now.........WOW
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:20:38 AM »
I think the high permeance nickel core has a big effect also. And I'm always surprised at the positive effect of removing resistance from the signal path.

Offline Scott F.

• Seeking Help
  • ...DOH!....DOH!....DOH!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »
Hey Mike,

You're right about silver and NO, you don't want to hear silver outputs either. They will cause you to go broke.

....then we get into cobalt and silver :duh One of the local guys did cobalt/silver chokes and outputs on a PP45. Seriously good stuff.
My brain hurts.....

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
 Oh no the Silver Cobalt Nervosa. I would take Scott's advice. Do not I repeat do not listen to one. Silver Trannies will take you over.
    It is not the material alone my little chickadee it is how it is wound as well.
      Would be very interesting to compare say an Audio Note Amp with silver and then with copper trannies.
     My only concern would be the weight of the sound. For me silver in IC or Speaker cable has clarity and detail up but loses soul and the gestalt.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »
     My only concern would be the weight of the sound. For me silver in IC or Speaker cable has clarity and detail up but loses soul and the gestalt.

charles

Maybe the introduction of tubes in the system (as Topround does) would add just that to the equation?  :-k

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »
charles,
the audio note trannies are only half silver/half copper, Slagle is using full silver over nickel, and I think he must know what he is doing regarding winding.

Not quite sure cobalt/amorphos is what you would want in a step up transformer.

And regarding material...we all tend to extend what we know or think we know to what we really don't know. I am guilty myself.
We all have these preconceived conceptions of what silver sounds like, good silver is smooth as silk and very open with delicate details. Cheap silver is what must of us know.
These silver transformers are super smooth, open, airy with tons of weight and tonal colours, don't be mislead by words.
I would love to bring them to your house one day charles!

We all know people that can build stuff better than the big boys, these may be one of those products.

mike

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:09:03 PM »
Mike no doubt of Daves work. That to me is a given meaning he is one of the best around. My perception is based on hands on experience. I own Stealth and Kimber Select Silver cables. Both cables exhibit silky smooth highs and delicate detail. However the bass and overall character was thin compared to copper counterparts. Pure Silver is NOT thin just when compared to pure copper directly.
    My comments are based on that experience . I have zero experience with trannies wound with Silver. I trust your ears and have no doubt they sound wonderfull just pointing out my experience with Silver.
   Would love to hear Dave's work.  He da Man. :drool:

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:05:17 AM »
  Mike is Dave offering the trannie for sale or is it a prototype ?

charles

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
They are for sale , not sure of the price yet