Author Topic: So what is everyone using for a vinyl rig?  (Read 52531 times)

evan1

Re: So what is everyone using for a vinyl rig?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
silk thread source. I recommend trying #2,3,4 in whatever color you prefer.

http://www.artbeads.com/stringing-materials-griffin-silk-bead-cord.html

Bob

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
Very nice guys.

Gene, that's almost too much turntable for your platform.  :D

--Jerome

I know!

This is the big version of the Gingko Cloud 11, it just works, got it cheap from a guy in DC.

There is a Cloud 12S made just for my tt, but I never see it cheap. If I do, I'll snap it up and re-sell the Cloud 11
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 02:46:44 PM »
Micro Seiki BL 111 with Immedia RPM2 arm and a Lyra Titan cartridge. About 100 lbs.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:23:12 PM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 03:03:32 PM »
etcarroll , What weight is your Gingko 11 rated for? If I went for one of these I would need one rated for 70lbs. I have read reviews in Stereophile on these things and their measurements showed that they actually worked as advertised and were very effective at isolating the TT from structure borne vibration.
Scotty

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »
Depends on how many balls you put in, I think each ball good for 10lbs, and I think the Cloud 11 comes with 5. I have 6 arranged with 4 biased towards the moter, (it's heavy), and remaining 2 in opposite corners.

http://www.gingkoaudio.com/cloud11.html
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
Very nice guys.

Gene, that's almost too much turntable for your platform.  :D

--Jerome

I know!

This is the big version of the Gingko Cloud 11, it just works, got it cheap from a guy in DC.

There is a Cloud 12S made just for my tt, but I never see it cheap. If I do, I'll snap it up and re-sell the Cloud 11

You could always do what I did. Put the TT on a maple butcher block and support that with about 8-10 squash balls between it and the shelf itself. A cheap mans Ginko, but very effective.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »
Thanks for the link and the DIY idea. My table has no suspension, as long as I don't have vibrations from the floor getting into the table I'm good to go. I live on the twelfth floor of a thirty-five year old condo building and I suspect that there is no small amount of vibration present in the building's structure itself.
 Even though I can't directly hear any of this vibration through the loudspeakers it's possible that the vibrations may be clouding or masking information that might be present in the recording.
Scotty

mgalusha

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
I built a Teres that isn't really anything they sell. I used the bearing and platter from the Certus direct drive but am using the Verus rim drive motor. The base is made from 2 x ~2" maple I purchased from Mapleshade, finished with tung oil. The motor now sits lower than this photo, the picture was taken the first night I had it up and running. The motor now runs against the aluminum sub platter and is exactly at the same level as the bottom of the bearing. There is a lot of mass in this setup, the platter weighs right at 35lbs plus the weight of the base and custom made brass footers/levelers.

Arm is a Moerch DP-6 and I recently installed a Sound Smith "The Voice" signature cartridge. I am really digging the new cartridge over the Scheu-Benz that I've had for many years.

Phono stage is a first generation Hagerman Cornet. It has been brought up to essentially the same spec as the later version with the addition of CCS on the output tube. I also greatly stiffened the high voltage supply. One of these days I am going to build something new, perhaps a DIY version of the Trumpet or Stephie Bench's "No C" RIAA preamp.

The whole works mess sits on a ~1.5" thick piece of maple butcher block residing on some Herbies tender feet and those sit on some small cocobolo blocks.

I am pretty sure this is the last table I will ever need. I am utterly delighted with how it works and sounds.

mgalusha

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
Forgot to mention, thanks to all for sharing, I love seeing all the different setups.  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »
I am utterly delighted with how it works and sounds.

And isn't that all that really matters?  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:51 AM »
OK, I went crazy today looking for the USB cord for my digital camera, to no avail. So I will have to post some slightly old Pics.

Currently using a VPI HW-19  that was originally purchased as a Mk III but was recently u[graded with a Mk IV platter and the new VPI Isolators to replace the chassis springs. (The picture shows the table with the Mk III platter, before the upgrade.) The Arm is an SME Series IV which was upgraded to add fluid camping just like the Series  V. The cart is a Sumiko Blackbird. For a phono section I am using the inboard phono electronics on my ARC SP-9.
It still has the original stock motor, but a SAMA will be in order somewhere down the road. The motor itself is drawing power through a VPI  PLC (Power Line Conditioner.), which in addition to cleaning up the AC going to the TT motor it also provides you with the ability to change speed without going moving the belt across different size pullies

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:14:47 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

mgalusha

Re: Re: Re: So what is everyone using for a vinyl rig?
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 05:52:22 AM »
And isn't that all that really matters?  :thumb:

Most certainly. 8)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 07:58:39 AM »
Linn Sondek LP12 / Linn Basik LV V / Sure M97xE / Audio Alchemy VAC in the Box.

Though I have a Sure SME 3009 arm from my old Rec-O-Kut rig that I may re-wire and install one of these days...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
Well Tempered Reference with Clearaudio Maestro...

Loesch & Wiesner phonostage with Western Electric 417A, RCA 6GK5, TungSol 5687. Phonostage has dual mono GenRad 1201-B tube regulated power supplies...

Photos can be seen here... http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=116
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
Barry If you want to sell that 3009 I have a table that needs an arm like that

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.