Author Topic: Cassettes coming back ???  (Read 5417 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Cassettes coming back ???
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »
  According to a news story on channel two cassette sales are up ove 43% over CDs this year. A steady increase over last year. :duh
  They appear to be cheaper and easier to use for Musicians and our youngins. Interesting. :o

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
Re: Cassettes coming back ???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »
I still have several decent 'older' tape decks. The convenience factor is not that of CD's but I find it a good medium to copy vinyl and CD's onto.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:02:34 AM by Response Audio »
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
I can't see it, digital is to pervasive, unless they're putting digital info onto cassette, but even then, thumb-drives are down to about $1/gig...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

AcidJazz

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »
The eye in the sky scrapes the bottom of the barrel iso any story...even no story.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
Can the 8 Track be far behind.... :rofl:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 02:23:33 AM »
my son Andrew may have contributed to the 43% increase, he loves cassettes.
If you take him out of the formula I belivieve the increase would be around 20% :rofl:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »
Two thoughts:
A) I'm not too sure what kind of credibility I give to that statistic. The sale of cassettes has been so low that selling an extra few cases could drive a % increase like that (well not really, but you get the idea)

B) In their heyday cassettes were mostly used in cars and in Walkman type units. Well now that car radios are coming with CD only drives (and maybe an AUX input for your ipod) that market is pretty slim and given the current trend of making ipods and similar devices smaller and small, I do not see too many people shelving their ipod and going back to a bulky walkmans (not to mention that one cassette is about 4 times bigger than the ipod they are now carrying that holds 3 or 4 hundred albums.) Most kids today would look at an original Sony Walkman and thinj they needed a handtruck to carry it.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:00:39 AM »
Funny, above Tom mentions Car Stereo, I just put a new head-unit into the Z to replace the dying Bose/Clarion head-unit. My new head unit is a digital media receiver, it has no disc drive, has USB, and 1/8" aux inputs and also connects via Bluetooth wirelessly. I love it! I moved my 14gig iTunes collection from my PC to music.google.com and now have access to my music via my phone (I'm very happy to be grandfathered into my unlimited data plan) that connects to my head-unit via Bluetooth. It pauses when I get a call, and uses an external mic and the stereo speakers, it gives me guidance via google maps and the voice directions come over the car stereo. I'm technically current in my 17 year old car. So yeah, no more cassettes for me ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »
Can the 8 Track be far behind.... :rofl:

Good call Chris. I cannot remember which Rock Group recently released an Album on 8 track.
    My favorite format except reel to reel.

charles
SMA
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »
Carman I believe I posted this in the improper circle. Could youmove this to Analog if a porblem. Thanks.

charles
SMA

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »
I had a Nak 700 back in the 70's ($850 MSRP in the day).  A great machine, yet...

Each tape had to be "tuned" before recording.

Tapes only sounded good on that same machine (machine to machine bias problems that are true of any cassette deck).

Dolby on cheaper deck was a joke (only functioned as a tone control to tune out the treble).

Digital is so much better...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »
   Thanks Carlman.  :thumb:

charles
SMA