Author Topic: All this talk about VINYL gave me NERVOSA Big Time!!!!!!  (Read 8424 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: All this talk about VINYL gave me NERVOSA Big Time!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 02:31:26 PM »
Hey Pete, have you thought of trying a Shelter cart. with the new tt?

I've been going back and forth between a Shelter 501MkII and DV 20x2-L, both have strong points.

What I'd like would be a cart with the DV mids and the Shelter top end and air.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »
Well, you guys got me all itchy about my vinyl rig... I had every intention of selling it.  It has had a loose pivot on the arm for a long time... and I fashioned a tool to tighten it... problem solved!  Then I found the VTA adjustments and decided hey.. I'll play around with this thing and see how it sounds... So, I fired up the ol' phono pre and started adjusting.  

Whoa.    :shock: I did not have VTA setup properly.  There is thunderous bass along with mid and high clarity I have not heard before out of my vinyl rig.  

There is a breathing 'alive' quality that is just beautiful.  I quickly compared to the same on digital which sounded diminutive by comparison.  Digital was overall cleaner, much quieter background and the tonal balance was just different.. it had a 'leaned back' presentation where the bass was big and low and the highs were a little recessed.  It was similar to the difference between Rich's DAC and my own... so, my DAC is now getting bested by my vinyl rig.

I was using Sufjan Stevens 'Illinoise' album in these comparison.  Wonderful pressing, btw.  This album was masterfully crafted for vinyl playback.

There is still some noise I don't like with vinyl but the music comes through in a way that it's easy to ignore.  

So now what?  I plan to compare my current table to an older table I have so I can possibly sell it.  Or just keep it.  Or keep 'messing' with it.. ARGH!  Nervosa indeed.  :lol:

-C

SCORE!!! We just hooked in another one.  :thumb:

BTW, Grant just left my home after I played 3 cuts from 3 different LP's on my new WT Reference... some of his words, "Presence, PRAT, dead silence between notes, unbelievable decay"... he's running to get his SOTA table set-up better now...

Chalk up another one to the Vinyl Frenzy!!! Ha-ha!!!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »
Carl what tables do you have ?
I have a Pro-Ject RM6 w/ Dynavector 10x5 and a Sony direct drive w/ Adcom cart from the late 80's. ('Allenzachary' hooked me up with the Sony/Adcom combo, thank you!)  I'm using an Eastern Electric phono preamp.

For the odd occasion where I listen to vinyl, I would be fine with a lesser rig... and the Sony is actually not bad at all.  I would put it against something like the Technics 1200 any day... and have it win.  It is also easier to use, full auto return and such.. But I doubt it would compare well to the RM6...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »
Hey Pete, have you thought of trying a Shelter cart. with the new tt?

I've been going back and forth between a Shelter 501MkII and DV 20x2-L, both have strong points.

What I'd like would be a cart with the DV mids and the Shelter top end and air.

Gene - I had a Shelter 501 before anyone heard of a Shelter cartridge but unfortunately it didn't synergize the best with my phono stage which really likes higher output MC's & MM cartridges...

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »
... so, my DAC is now getting bested by my vinyl rig.

Those of us playing with vinyl would not expect anything less.  :thumb:

+1
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables