Author Topic: All this talk about VINYL gave me NERVOSA Big Time!!!!!!  (Read 8379 times)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
All this talk about VINYL gave me NERVOSA Big Time!!!!!!
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:06:59 AM »
Thanks a lot guys!!!  :duh All this talk about Evan's & Joe's new TT's as well as Mike's (TopRound) vinylholic journeys gave me extreme Turntable Nervosa!!

My trusty, old reliable Well Tempered Classic that has served me extremely well over the years just got "booted" today and replaced with a Well Tempered Reference...

Holy crap is this table heavy!!

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: All this talk about VINYL gave me NERVOSA Big Time!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:16:28 AM »
Woo Hoo :thumb: :thumb:

Enjoy  can't wait to hear it
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
Wow Pete, that is awesome!

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
Cool - going to try the Dynavector on it?

What's the difference between the two? Obviously a heaview plinth, but what else? Different arm?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
Sweet. Maybe I'll eventually step up also if I become a believer

evan1

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »
Hey, you didn't ask me if I wanted to upgrade

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Cool - going to try the Dynavector on it?

What's the difference between the two? Obviously a heaview plinth, but what else? Different arm?

Constrained 4 layer dampening using Fountainhead as plinth material, Reference dampened platter, carbon fiber Reference arm with dampened silicon arm bath, motor assembly has power conditioning built into cord...

Yes, trying Dynavector DV-20X on it first... can't wait!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
  Theres no moss growing under your arse there buddy. Congrats.
  A very Well Tempered Uberbussed solution I'd say. Dynavector ????  :duh  :roll: :rofl: Lyra to the rescue.  :-P

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »
 Theres no moss growing under your arse there buddy. Congrats.
  A very Well Tempered Uberbussed solution I'd say. Dynavector ????  :duh  :roll: :rofl: Lyra to the rescue.  :-P

charles
SMA

The Dynavector didn't cut it... The Grado Sonata is much preferred & is on my WT Reference right now... how would the Lyra sound??? or Boboli???

Topround - any cartridge recommendations, you mad Vinylholic??
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »
Always wanted to try a Denon 103R with the Uwe wood ebony body.
Also the Goldbug is supposed to be great.
I heard a Airtight cart that was great! but expensive!!

My cartridge experience is limited, I have had the pleasure to hear a few great ones but not in my system, until just afew days ago. The Titan is great but very expensive.
Maybe a Ortofon SPU? would be fun...lots of choices
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:40 AM »
There's no moss growing under your arse there buddy. Congrats.

charles
SMA

The Dynavector didn't cut it... The Grado Sonata is much preferred & is on my WT Reference right now... how would the Lyra sound??? or Boboli???

Topround - any cartridge recommendations, you mad Vinylholic??

If you like I can bring over the Boboli to try. If you like the Grado MM a Micro Benz HO MC or the Boboli just may be the ticket. Hey if you want the character of a Grado and the clarity ofa MC than a Koetsu is in your future. I believe any of those will suit the character of your system.

charles
SMA
   Your phonostage is MM design like mine. If you go MC you wil need at least a 2 mv output. Adding a step up just does not cut it for me.
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »
Well, you guys got me all itchy about my vinyl rig... I had every intention of selling it.  It has had a loose pivot on the arm for a long time... and I fashioned a tool to tighten it... problem solved!  Then I found the VTA adjustments and decided hey.. I'll play around with this thing and see how it sounds... So, I fired up the ol' phono pre and started adjusting.  

Whoa.    :shock: I did not have VTA setup properly.  There is thunderous bass along with mid and high clarity I have not heard before out of my vinyl rig.  

There is a breathing 'alive' quality that is just beautiful.  I quickly compared to the same on digital which sounded diminutive by comparison.  Digital was overall cleaner, much quieter background and the tonal balance was just different.. it had a 'leaned back' presentation where the bass was big and low and the highs were a little recessed.  It was similar to the difference between Rich's DAC and my own... so, my DAC is now getting bested by my vinyl rig.

I was using Sufjan Stevens 'Illinoise' album in these comparison.  Wonderful pressing, btw.  This album was masterfully crafted for vinyl playback.

There is still some noise I don't like with vinyl but the music comes through in a way that it's easy to ignore.  

So now what?  I plan to compare my current table to an older table I have so I can possibly sell it.  Or just keep it.  Or keep 'messing' with it.. ARGH!  Nervosa indeed.  :lol:

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
Well, you guys got me all itchy about my vinyl rig... I had every intention of selling it.  It has had a loose pivot on the arm for a long time... and I fashioned a tool to tighten it... problem solved!  Then I found the VTA adjustments and decided hey.. I'll play around with this thing and see how it sounds... So, I fired up the ol' phono pre and started adjusting.  

Whoa.    :shock: I did not have VTA setup properly.  There is thunderous bass along with mid and high clarity I have not heard before out of my vinyl rig.  

There is a breathing 'alive' quality that is just beautiful.  I quickly compared to the same on digital which sounded diminutive by comparison.  Digital was overall cleaner, much quieter background and the tonal balance was just different.. it had a 'leaned back' presentation where the bass was big and low and the highs were a little recessed.  It was similar to the difference between Rich's DAC and my own... so, my DAC is now getting bested by my vinyl rig.

I was using Sufjan Stevens 'Illinoise' album in these comparison.  Wonderful pressing, btw.  This album was masterfully crafted for vinyl playback.

There is still some noise I don't like with vinyl but the music comes through in a way that it's easy to ignore.  

So now what?  I plan to compare my current table to an older table I have so I can possibly sell it.  Or just keep it.  Or keep 'messing' with it.. ARGH!  Nervosa indeed.  :lol:

-C

SCORE!!! We just hooked in another one.  :thumb:

BTW - my prediction is for continued "messing with it". (either that TT or another one, but messing with vinyl none the less.    8) )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

evan1

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
Well, you guys got me all itchy about my vinyl rig... I had every intention of selling it.  It has had a loose pivot on the arm for a long time... and I fashioned a tool to tighten it... problem solved!  Then I found the VTA adjustments and decided hey.. I'll play around with this thing and see how it sounds... So, I fired up the ol' phono pre and started adjusting. 

Whoa.    :shock: I did not have VTA setup properly.  There is thunderous bass along with mid and high clarity I have not heard before out of my vinyl rig. 

There is a breathing 'alive' quality that is just beautiful.  I quickly compared to the same on digital which sounded diminutive by comparison.  Digital was overall cleaner, much quieter background and the tonal balance was just different.. it had a 'leaned back' presentation where the bass was big and low and the highs were a little recessed.  It was similar to the difference between Rich's DAC and my own... so, my DAC is now getting bested by my vinyl rig.

I was using Sufjan Stevens 'Illinoise' album in these comparison.  Wonderful pressing, btw.  This album was masterfully crafted for vinyl playback.

So now what?  I plan to compare my current table to an older table I have so I can possibly sell it.  Or just keep it.  Or keep 'messing' with it.. ARGH!  Nervosa indeed.  :lol:

-C

Carl what tables do you have ?

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
... so, my DAC is now getting bested by my vinyl rig.

Those of us playing with vinyl would not expect anything less.  :thumb:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.