Author Topic: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL  (Read 35569 times)

evan1

Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
:shock:

Just picked up a Project Xpression from the Needle Doctor. After trying to set it up I gave them a call and they had me set up in minutes. I'm using a JJ Tesla 243 tube pre as a phono stage. My only record right now is Nora Jones "Come Away with Me" . I'm waiting for a Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" and Amy Winehouse " Back to Black". I have the stock Oyster cartridge installed right now. The deck comes with an acrylic platter and carbon fiber tonearm. It weighs about 12 lbs and has adjustable cone suspension feet. Sound is not bad but I think my Dual CS5000 was warmer. It was definitely built better. I have an Ortofon OM 20 that sounded great on the Dual so I'll install that later on. Is it a keeper. I don't know yet.I'm not disappointed but don't know yet if I'll say it's better than CD. I know if I spent about 2 G's I would say it is , but I'm not going to invest that much yet. We'll see what progresses.

Heres a shot of the TT and the Pre ( Thanks Hogg)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:47:40 PM by evan1 »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »
I thought you were out of vinyl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

this would work better if you were Italian.  ;)
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

evan1

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
I thought you were out of vinyl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

this would work better if you were Italian.  ;)

I am out of Vinyl since selling off my collection to the Ravers last year at a buck a piece. Guys I may want my records back . Even you Fremer , I know you have my Ramones records :rofl:

eleazar

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »
:thumb: Obsession to to begin at once  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
Maybe Wes can check the setup of your table on Sunday, getting the geometry correct is so important to good sound.
I heard the Rega RP3 blow my mind with the stock Rega cartridge, like kill cd level!! And that was only $900.

Be patient, putting together a vinyl source is not so simple, unless you get a known system that works well and is setup correct, take the time and it will blow you away

trust me...it does not have to cost big bucks, just has to be done correctly . it is very different that just slipping a cd in the drawer, unfortunatley
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »
Maybe Wes can check the setup of your table on Sunday, getting the geometry correct is so important to good sound.
I heard the Rega RP3 blow my mind with the stock Rega cartridge, like kill cd level!! And that was only $900.

Be patient, putting together a vinyl source is not so simple, unless you get a known system that works well and is setup correct, take the time and it will blow you away

trust me...it does not have to cost big bucks, just has to be done correctly . it is very different that just slipping a cd in the drawer, unfortunatley

Sunday ????? You mean my prick of a neighbor has something going on ???? Told me he didn't know when Wes was coming. I got to close up that opening in the fence once and for all.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
Looks good!

Is there enough tracking force on the oyster?

evan1

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
Looks good!

Is there enough tracking force on the oyster?

should be... no ??? . It's any where from 1.5 to 2.5 . I set it up with the guy from Needle Doctor step by step over the phone.

evan1

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

Are you sure it was the RP3 ? I thought it would be more money.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »
Has anyone noticed a blacker background playing back vinyl when compared to
 a CD of the same recording? In my system vinyl also frequently has a better leading edge on transients than most CDs I have unless they were made from a 24/96 master. At that point they sound about same.
Scotty

evan1

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »

I stand corrected

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-RP3-Turntable?sc=2&category=353

evan1

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Has anyone noticed a blacker background playing back vinyl when compared to
 a CD of the same recording? In my system vinyl also frequently has a better leading edge on transients than most CDs I have unless they were made from a 24/96 master. At that point they sound about same.
Scotty

Good question .But  I refuse to purchase anything that I  have on CD. We all did that when CD's came out. I am not going to do it again.Well at least I think I won't.

Nope I won't

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Perhaps I should have broadened my statement to say say that one of the differences I always notice between the two formats is the difference between how quiet or "black" the background is on vinyl compared to CD.
 Mind you,I am not set up for Hi-Rez playback yet, perhaps the background will be as quiet as vinyl.
It would be nice if this were the case.
Scotty

Offline Putz

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
Evan,

Welcome to the Club. Too bad you sold all your vinyl. Never say never.

Jump on the Outerbridge and get over to Vintage Vinyl just off Route 1 and pick up some used wax.

Hope you got a cheap wet cleaner. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanton-Magnetics-VC-1-Record-Cleaner/dp/B00006I5UH/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316217293&sr=1-1

And a Carbon Fibre brush:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Anti-Static-record-cleaner-brush/dp/B0006VMBHI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316217293&sr=1-2

Enjoy your new table (even though you should have bought my VPI) and use it in good health.

evan1

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
Paul I would have bought yours or Gene's if I was 100% sure I want to stay with Vinyl. Going new I can always return it. thanks for the links. I'll check out Vintage Vinyl. It's got to be closer then Prex.