Author Topic: The high of Vinyl  (Read 11811 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
The high of Vinyl
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:21:34 PM »
Just passed an estate sale..home of elderly people judging by their possessions and collections of glass and art an chatchka from around the world and their.....record collection.

Columbia 6 eye, deutsche grammaphone tulips, oh my!  price 33 1/3 per record! how appropriate 3 for a buck!

Lots of classical.I love classical!

Archive productions in mint mint shape!  oh my!

The high of flipping through records looking for hidden gems is a high you have to experience.
Rush home, clean the records put them on the platter and WOW ...great old vinyl, they clean up like shiny little gems! So beautiful, so prized.
And there are so many still out there waiting for you!

Sorry still a little high from it all, I had to try to express my delight!!

oh my!

Mike

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: The high of Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
It's almost worth contacting the folks holding the sale. Ask them to tell the family how much you enjoyed and respected their collection.  It may mean something to the family.

I worry a little that my records will be cast away with little or no fanfare.  I've tried to bring my kids into my music so they can at least understand what it is and why I have it. 

I was at a recent estate sale and picked up an couple original mono US Rolling Stones releases.  As I flipped through the records, I had an imaginary  musical conversation with their former owner.  Original Stones, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Herman's Hermits, Jan & Dean and a host of other mid-sixties chart toppers.  I realized that these records were as old as I was and that the man whose house I was standing in was probably in his twenties when he bought all of these.  The conversation was joyous and melancholy as we celebrated music and its affect on youth...and how one of the only ways we can hold onto our youth is through the nostalgia of hearing the chart toppers.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
Funny thing was I was thinking the same thing as I flipped through the records.
Will my record collection and other things be treated in the same way...sold for 3 for a dollar!
Will it all be reduced to this?

And the answer is  Yes.

All the meaning, the love , the desire that went into amassing it will be left to others to pick thru.
Hopefully finding a sould that can appreciate it and perhaps extend the love, the meaning, the desire.
Right now Appalachian Spring is being played. Cleaned, adored and appreciated.
The owner will never no it, but I will cherish it for him and for myself.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »
Funny thing was I was thinking the same thing as I flipped through the records.
Will my record collection and other things be treated in the same way...sold for 3 for a dollar!
Will it all be reduced to this?

And the answer is  Yes.

I don't know Mike, the way youre son has taken t the hobby at such an early age I think he may just ump on that collection when the time comes (which will be hopefully many many years from now.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:51:31 AM »
   Ah the trhill of the chase and find. Like a hunter stalking game.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:43:09 AM »
I've been thinking of whether my hobbies will transfer to my son or not.. Seems like the more you want someone to do something, the less they want it... but I'm hoping since it'll be something I enjoy, he will too... I want to help him build a system, but only if he wants it.. not because I'm pushing him.

My other hobby is biking... and I already have his bike for him when he turns about 12 or 13.. It's my way of nesting. ;)  If he wants to see me, he's going to have to ride... sorry, that's just the way it is.

I guess it all boils down to doing what you love and finding things to enjoy.  Life is temporary.  The emotions along the way, even moreso.  Expect only to do your best to enjoy this ride, and all the little things that show up and leave along the way.  Others around you will do the same.  Enjoy the harmony.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »
My oldest daughter only wants my prog rock CD's. She's the artist without a sense of rhythm. Seriously, she can't find the downbeat.

My youngest wants everything else. She has even laid claim to my old speakers saying she wants them when she graduates from college - so I have to store them somewhere for her. And she wants all the rock CD's and vinyl, so that's covered. She's my musician.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
I know my son will want my gear, he is the biggest gear slut of them all...he wants to try everything!
He was raised in a rave environment so swapping gear and trying all sorts of things is what he thinks it is all about.

My records he would not want, but he would want the Micro Seiki's :rofl:
Besides he has his own records... :thumb:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »
<snip> My records he would not want,<snip>...

Don't write him off for taking your vinyl just yet, I didn't like jazz or classical 30 years ago, and now...

Keep it in good shape, you never know.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:16:20 PM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »
My oldest daughter only wants my prog rock CD's.

That's the only stuff my daughters don't want.

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 06:30:12 PM »
You can pick my collection up cubside on the first garbage day after I die.

Actually, all three of my daughters (16, 18 and 21) have turntables and they all collect vinyl!

Paul

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 07:25:18 PM »
I see an ongoing theme here...daughters into music and hifi. Could the next generation of Nervosans bring a shot of estrogen with them.  Audio, if not music has always been a boys club. Just look at the roster at AN, it's almost exclusively male. 

I am proud that my daughter, and many others, are following in their father's footsteps.  Welcome, Ladies.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »
My daughter watched and helped me clean some records tonight. She asked a lot of questions and ran the switches, scrubbed a record. On her way up to bed she told my wife, "cleaning the records is really cool"

I was listening to Porgy and Bess tonight, turned way up loud, it was very enjoyable. The density of the tone of Miles trumpet, the lifelike but gentle dynamics of the drums and big band, all very nice indeed. Very noisy from dirt, but still nice.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »
just for fun...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »
I shrunk it so I can see it  :thumb:

So is that syringe for damping fluid or lubricant? 

What does "thread drive" mean?