Author Topic: TT advice?  (Read 26098 times)

jrebman

Re: TT advice?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 07:54:49 AM »
Is that the Nordost Valhalla you're talking about?  I know they're using that at least as an option for some arms.  Not cheap.
-- Jim

WEEZ

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 08:08:13 AM »
Jim,

You are correct that VPI uses Nordost for their Signature arms.

The cable for their standard JMW arms can be found here: www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=vptac

WEEZ

jrebman

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »
Weez,

Thanks for the link.  Looks like it is RCA only and my arm requires a right angle DIN connector.  My wire appears to be Van Den Hul, so it would probably cost a good bit to upgrade beyond that -- although some lower mass RCAs might help.

-- Jim

WEEZ

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 08:22:58 AM »
Correct...RCA to RCA w/ separate ground. Designed for VPI Scout/Scoutmaster/Super Scoutmaster series 'tables.

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 11:27:43 AM »
Just to clarify, can't really judge an IC by its cousin SC, with one driving a 2ohm high voltage load and another driving a preamp at 20K+++load at line level, lots of differences there. Signal Cable SCs I tried were better than my anticable SCs that I lived with in ignorance for a year. You got some better advice from those who actually know... I would try the VPI wire too.

jrebman

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »
Rich,

The Valhalla tonearm wire only resembles the SC in that it uses the same approach to separate the conductor from the insulation, and the composition of the wire metal itself.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't use the same geometry.  If somebody wanted to rewire my arm and provide a phono cable of Valhalla, and wanted to do it for free, I'd be glad to have it.  I guess I could say the same for the speaker cables :-).  I think if you had the opportunity to put all Valhalla into your system, like you did with the JPS Aluminata, I'm quite sure you would have another big smile on your face.  Is it over priced?  Sure, but is it amazing?  You bet.

I'll probably even be able to give this a try if I want to -- though I'm not sure I do.  I'd be looking at that
Serious Stereo gear long before that.

Back to the subject at hand though, there is a chance that I will get Steve Eddy to rewire my arm directly from the headshell bayonette pins to the RCAs with his Tao wire.

The owner of Redpoint Audio did this and I'm hoping he will bring this table to RMAF.

-- Jim

Ray Bronk

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »
Correct...RCA to RCA w/ separate ground. Designed for VPI Scout/Scoutmaster/Super Scoutmaster series 'tables.

WEEZ

hi Weez and company,

Nice bunch of people over here. No politics.

Hey, does Decca still exist? They were the only cartridge that at the time, mid .70's and early .80's that could really reproduce that snap in a snare drum.

Also, I still have in the original box,a Micro Accoustics cartridge. I read somewhere a long time ago, if loaded right, that cartridge just sings. Well back to lurking mode. heheh.

Ray

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 04:02:48 PM »
Hi Ray, welcome!!

I read something about the decca cartridge in a recent Sensible Sound mag article about the technics SL1200, I think... Maybe it was in TAS's recent TT issue. I'll look for it. If I remember correctly they are still available, but let me find it before you get too excited based on my memory.

WEEZ

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 04:23:58 PM »
Hi Ray,

Yes, the Decca cartridges are still made. Bottom of the line starts at around $1150.

Your Micro Acoustics cartridge is a classic. Is it in good shape?

WEEZ