Author Topic: TT advice?  (Read 26128 times)

biglou

Re: TT advice?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 04:48:32 PM »
dangerbird is right... the forum description for this section is right. with vinyl there's always another upgrade, you start buying extra copies of favorite LPs, space disappears, need more sleeves, new fluid, another cartridge, more vinyl, more gruv glide, and ahhhhhhh!! i've convinced myself that my vinyl expenses are an investment... LOL

WEEZ

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »
..."my vinyl expenses are an investment"..

Well, if 'ya gots the software, then 'ya gotta' have the hardware... :)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 08:38:44 AM »
Before running out and spending any money on isolation, try hockey pucks! Don't laugh until you try it!

I have a very good customer of mine that is running a JC Verdier and after trying a fair number of isolation options that are out there he ended up running with my tweak of choice.....hockey pucks and has never looked back.  :)

So I'm not the only one who uses Hockey pucks. Great tweak. Use them under my Linn coupled to a Sound Organization rack which sits on 3 tiers of 75% solid concrete blocks filled with sand. Could not be happier.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 06:30:52 AM »
Looking for a high output Cart. for my Linn. Use Ittock 2 arm. Any suggestions. MC or MM not sure. Use Micro Benz M2 now. Seems a bit polite no sparkle. Phono stage has 52db of gain.

thanks
  rollo

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

WEEZ

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »
rollo, have you ever tried an AT OC-9?

More sparkle. Maybe too much more. Dunno.

Maybe a slight tail-down adjustment on the Benz will help?

WEEZ

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 05:27:47 AM »
rollo, have you ever tried an AT OC-9?

More sparkle. Maybe too much more. Dunno.

Maybe a slight tail-down adjustment on the Benz will help?

WEEZ

weez,
              Thanks I'll give it a try. Have not tried AT OC-9. At this point I have always used MC type cart. My gain is 53db in phono section. Thinking of high powered MC or MM. Actually not sure. Budget is $1500.
         Have been looking at ZYX, Sumiko Blackbird, Clearaudio Virtuoso and Dybavector. I use a Lingo and Ittock 2 arm. The phono stage is a tubed Loesch and Weisner. Help!

rollo

WEEZ

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 06:27:14 AM »
rollo,

The OC-9 is a MC with .4mv output; so my guess is you would need a scoosh more gain, and 100 ohm loading. These things sell for about $275, which is a bargain for a MC. (Provided you like the sound)

You could always try a 1.5 mv Wood body Grado. Not advertised as available...but they are.

WEEZ

jrebman

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 09:22:45 AM »
Rollo,

Given your budget, maybe add the Ortofon Kontrapunkt B to your audition list -- assuming it will work with your arm.

-- Jim

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 08:16:31 AM »
Thanks for the help Guys.

rollo

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 03:57:39 AM »
not to derail this,,but I just picked up a VPI scout,with the dynavector 20 Xl (low output mc) and I'm using a dynavector p-75 in the enhanced mode; now,,any suggestions on cables from the phomo to the pre--to the pre-amp? Currently using a 1 meter pair of grovers from the phono pre to the preamp,and someignal cable silver from the tt to the phono pre.
Damn, I just read this,,I hope it makes sense--too lazy,I guess to retype :roll:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 05:17:40 AM »
Makes sense to me! Don't worry this thread is derailed many times over, but is great because it's still going!

Your TT>phono cable looks good to me. They are shielded which is important with super low level signals. I heard Signal's Silver SCs and they were excellent, just a little bass shy. The website blurb about these ICs says awesome bass, so as long as you're happy with them and they're quiet that's all that matters!

I don't have a lot of experience with ICs for line level signals, limited to Anticable copper, DHLAbs, Belden 1505, Grover and JPS. I happily use all Grover S now, but I will get some JPS SC3 when I can swing it, they are about 8x more $.
Rich

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 05:23:06 AM »
Thanks Rich,,I noticed that the system lacks a tad of bass,,you confirmed what I suspected,,but I did not know where. I'll experiment with some tt-phono cables,,I thought that I read somewhere that Grover has/had made some short cables for tt-pre,,I'll e-mail him--thanks again :D

WEEZ

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 06:28:27 AM »
dangerbird,

Maybe you're aware that VPI offers phono cable made from the same wire as inside the tonearm? Might make sense to start there? Just a thought...

WEEZ

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 06:49:42 AM »
dangerbird,

Maybe you're aware that VPI offers phono cable made from the same wire as inside the tonearm? Might make sense to start there? Just a thought...

WEEZ

A good thought at that. VPI has got a winner with this cable for VPI TT. Synergy baby. Stop the search and go for it. You get a thirty day MBG from Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds. You can't lose here. Its a no brainer.

rollo

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 06:55:06 AM »
dangerbird,

WEEZ

Nope,, did not know that,, I'm dumb and slow,, :shock: I'll check it out,,thanks for the help- :D--george