Author Topic: TT advice?  (Read 23684 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
TT advice?
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:13:32 AM »
I put a Shure M97xe cartridge that I had from pre-audiophile days onto a Technics SL-Q2. I am using a Bellari tube phono pre. I have tracking force set to 1.75g as recommended by Shure. At least according to the twist gage on the tonearm.

I lined up the cartridge with the headshell as straight as I could by eye, probably within 1-2 degrees.

How do I set the anti-skate? Any other adjustments I can make to improve the performance?

Based on previous comments about the Technics 1200 in this forum, I assume this Q2 is not much better, being a consumer version. There is a new SOTA Comet available to me at a good price, as well as Sumiko Cartridges.  Probably a lot better than the Technics right? Will I notice the difference?

I don't want to spend a lot on this as we have only 200 well used records and only a couple dozen clean ones, but I recognize even with this old 80s junker that TT has something very nice to offer :)
Thanks for any input.
Rich

WEEZ

TT advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:38:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure that you've got an anti-skate dial near the arm base?

It should set-up like most arms...start with everything set to zero; balance the arm; then set the force; then match the skate dial to the same setting as the force dial..maybe a bit less. I'm not familiar with that 'table, but I'm sure it's pretty basic. Still got the owner's manual? If not, you can Google your 'table and download one..maybe from lpgear.

Shure M97 is fine. Don't think you'd like Blue Points, based on your other posts. I'm fond of SOTA 'tables. The Comet is a screaming deal, IMO.

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

TT advice?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 03:03:16 PM »
I found the manual on vinylengine.com. Thanks for the tip.

I balanced the tone arm, set the force and skate. I have never done that before, never had a new TT, never read a manual! That's cool. You truly are a wealth of useful information WEEZ! I had the force set to ~1.75g, but since the arm was never balanced that was meaningless setting.

I will check out the Comet. As far as I know it has no suspension. Is that intended to be used on a vibration isolation furniture of some sort? We have a problem of not being able to walk near the TT or it will skip. Typical engineered joist wooden floor. TT is placed on ordinary wooden furniture near the speakers. I know some LF vibration will get in there. I know I am asking dangerous questions with expensive answers. Please don't let me fall into that hole!

What TT are you using WEEZ?

Edit: Oops! I see, SOTA Jewel. Tx
Thanks
Rich

WEEZ

TT advice?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 07:37:54 AM »
Rich,

You would be correct, re: "no suspension' on the Comet. (likely not on your Technics, either...) There are many schools of thought on the advantages/dis-advantages of suspended vs. non-suspended. I'll avoid that subject, as it's long, complicated, and in the end...no definate useful conclusions :? .

To me, the secret of good vinyl playback is pretty basic:

1) clean records
2) care in cartridge/arm set-up and alignment
3) isolation of the TT

Usually, (when it comes to point #3) whether the 'table is suspended or not.. having the unit 'isolated' is a good thing. When you realize that the 'table is a 'machine' and the cartridge is a 'transducer'...it only makes sense to isolate it from the other equipment. A simple method is just to place it on a different stand or shelf from the amplifier(s). And if the speakers are coupled to the floor...(desireable) all the more reason to 'isolate' the turntable :) . Isoblocks (or similar) from Mapleshade are cheap and they work.

As to the Comet, like I said, it's a screaming deal. Usually available for around $1k (new) with a Rega arm. I can't think of a better deal at it's price.

:twisted:

WEEZ!

Offline richidoo

TT advice?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 09:23:09 AM »
Thanks WEEZ
I checked out my Mapleshade catalog for the Isoblocks. Looks interesting, in the usual Mapleshade way. It is fun to read his stuff. Everything I have read about damping suggests the load is critical to the performance of a given damping material. Like sorbothane semisphere of a certain size and hardness works best with an exact amount of weight on it. Less or more are not as effective damping.

Small Isoblocks spec anything under 100pounds. Do I have to try to hit a certain weight for them to work best? Add a marble slab under the TT or something? Or can I just put them under the TT and be done with it?

I was thinking of designing a sorbothane dot suspension platform with a self damping material like acrylic or corian plate. With sorbothane I can get the right crush factor for max damping, but the isoblocks don't seem to go that route. They would certainly be less expensive and easier! What has been your experience in using them?

I know that some turntables take all day to set up. Mine has simple controls and is all molded plastic so I think I have mexed out the tweak factor, except maybe measuring the alignment instead of going by eye. Any other setup things you can suggest with this ultra low cost rig?

I used to use discwasher products to get the dust off records, but I also listened to them so much that they just sat on the TT and got dirt ground in over the years. Can you recommend a cleaning system to deal with old very dirty records? I am thinking along the lines of something that will penetrate and dissolve or digest the crap. I have tried washing them with soap and water  :shock:  but it had little effect on the background noise.

Thanks

WEEZ

TT advice?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »
Well, there's lots of ways you can accomplish what you need to do. I only suggested the Isoblocks 'cause they're pretty cheap and they work. (Some of the Mapleshade stuff is pretty tweakie and just plain wierd, I admit. :) )

If you use a platform (no need to buy expensive Mapleshade)  maybe 2" butcher block on top of the Isoblocks and the 'table on top of that you'll be pleased. (Just size the platform to accomodate a possible move upward to the SOTA :lol: ).

For cleaning, a vacuum machine works best. But a mild liquid soap; distilled water; and a very soft brush works too. It's just tedious and messy and stuff.

When vinyl is clean; and the TT is set-up well...you'll be scrounging around at flea markets, yard sales, and used record stores like the rest of us vinyl sicko's do and having a hell of a good time!

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

TT advice?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 11:52:46 AM »
Thank You!
 :D

It's coming, I can feel it. I'll see what I can do with a better support. When he sees the record player set up next visit, my father will get to say, "I told you so" yet again. He likes records for the reading material on the jackets.  :lol:

WEEZ

TT advice?
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
Yeah, us old farts can't hardly read the liner notes on CD's.. :x

"Hey, dear...does that say Jon Fadis?"

"I'm not sure. Sounds like him, though."

"Sure does, doesn't it."

"What difference does it make..you like the trumpet, right?

"Yes, dear. I do."

:?

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Re: TT advice?
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 04:23:28 AM »
Very good read indeed! My vinyl adventure is turning into a deep,dark rabbit hole.I started with a Rega Planar 2,grado gold cart. and a 25.00 phono pre. I upgraded to a dynavector p-75 then it happened.I got my ears on a Sota sapphire,dynavector lo output mc (xlm-20?) with the same pre as I have, Great googlamooglies, so now,I've sold the Rega,,looking for a TT and cartdidge that will approach the sound that I heard.Now, what makes matters worse,is that I owned a record store back in the day(early seventies) and I have boxes of lp's,many unopened,many british imports,,just sitting around as I search for a setup,rapidly diminishing audio funds and with that said,any advice would be appreciated.I have my eye on a Sota Sapphire,MMt tonearm which according to the seller,has been recently "brought up to specs" for about 1250.00. Sorry for the longwindedness,, but when does it end? A deep,dark,hole,,indeed.  :duh

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 10:25:33 AM »
Before running out and spending any money on isolation, try hockey pucks! Don't laugh until you try it!

I have a very good customer of mine that is running a JC Verdier and after trying a fair number of isolation options that are out there he ended up running with my tweak of choice.....hockey pucks and has never looked back.  :)

WEEZ

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 10:38:09 AM »
dangerbird,

SOTA sells both new and refirbished 'tables...check their site www.sotaturntables.com

They can give you good advice....and may be aware of the very machine you are looking at. Call and talk to Donna.

WEEZ

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 11:12:09 AM »
Thanks for the link,, I'll call tomorrow.

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 12:27:57 PM »
Good luck. I doubt you'll be disappointed with a SOTA product.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
 this is not good  :? i was minding my own business and i came across this topic and now i am eyeballing Sota Sapphire's and trying to see what finish i can get one in  :-k  :rofl:  :rofl:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 03:03:10 PM »
Careful Bunky,,it is a deep,dark hole that will pull you in,,heck,,I've got to look at record cleaning devices next :roll: