Author Topic: Joy, Oh, Joy!  (Read 15002 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Joy, Oh, Joy!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »
  Of course, you've been through this before with the tube eater...

Over and over and over.  It's part of the fun.

Talk about time sneaking up...the AI is the newest component I consciously introduced to the hifi.  I replaced the Kinergetics KCD20 with a Pioneer DVD several years ago, but that was by need not desire.  The AI just reached its 20th birthday.  How does that happen?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 04:56:33 AM »
Happy Birthday Tube Eater!   I hope you have many more happy tube swaps to come.   :yay2:

drews_hifi

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »
I also use an AI 2D.  It ate part of a set of bugle boys, but since I put back the tubes it arrived with (a mixed set of NOS), its been stable and sounds great.  At this point I'm leaving it alone.

I use a new Grado Sonata 1 on a VPI Scout, and am perfectly happy with the sound.  The biggest improvement (as my friends are tired of hearing about) was the addition of a VPI 16.5 vacuum cleaner.

There are a few things i love about the 2D:
- no detents on the volume pots.  My tube amp and speakers do not match exactly side to side, and I can adjust for this, as well as my position on the listening couch.
- bass control.  For a tubed preamp, I've not heard better, even from high priced stuff
- grain free treble.  The AI replaced a much newer VanAlstine T8, which had a quieter phono section, but didnt match the AI in low end grip or treble clarity and refinement.