Author Topic: December Meeting  (Read 8661 times)

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
December Meeting
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »
   Whats up ? Is it at Denniss' home this Friday ? Paul are you alive ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: December Meeting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
Yeah, that would be nice to know.  I rather not make the trip to Huntington to find Dennis in his PJ's at the door saying the meeting was cancelled!  

:duh

SN
(Bill)
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:17:32 AM »
I just gave Paul a call and the meeting for tonight is definitely on. Hope to see you there. :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »
I've exchanged e-mails with Russ this morning.  He tells me that we'll be having a DAC shootout at Dennis' place.  The line up will be Dennis' MF CD player with:

• Dennis' Benchmark DAC
 • Russ' MF TriVista DAC
 • Roy's Buffalo DAC

The only "wrinkle" to all of this is my Cambridge 840C CD player, which I plan on bringing with me at Dennis' request.  See you tonight.

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 11:12:01 AM »
 I'll bring the Promitheus DAC. See ya all later.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:10:49 AM »
Thanks to everyone who attended the get together at Brother Dennis' home. The time was nice , fun and enjoyable. We all were glad to attend as the holidays are so close. The music was good, we heard a great turntable, and nice Dacs.

We need a place to have our January meeting so this is a reach out for some kind soul to help us out. We have important issues to discuss at out next meeting.

Paul

Offline rollo

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
  Thanks Dennis for opening your home for the meeting. I loved the vinyl last night.

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:42:10 AM »
Looking fwd to hearing about the DAC/CDP comparos, once you all recover...    :D

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
Hi Rich,

The best overall SQ IMHO was from vinyl. The host analog rig is good. We did use his Musical Fidelity CD player as stand alon e and also tried a MF Tri Vista Dac and a Kullen Circuits modified PS Audio Dac. Most people felt the best SQ in the digital tests was from the stand along player.

Paul

TomM

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
Dennis,
      Thanks for hosting meeting.

TomM

ltr317

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »
Greetings from the frozen great white north!  Couldn't make the meeting yesterday, as I'm visiting my sister and her family in Kingston, Ont.  How was the dac shootout?  I also wanted to hear Denis' turntable again, enjoyed it alot the last time he hosted a meeting. 

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 07:12:26 AM »
FYI - Cambridge 840C never made into the mix.  DAC's were the agenda for the night.  Maybe another time.  As usual, Dennis was a great host.  Extended thanks to his family for putting up with us!  I think his closing off the side doorway of his listening room made a difference in overall sound from last time I was there.  Smart move and God Bless your wife for being accepting of such! 

I have to admit, I envy the dedicated listening room.  That's the one thing that I regret about my set-up; I didn't think about how adding a big screen plasma TV in there would prohibit me from getting to listen to my own system! 

Dumb move on my part! :duh

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 09:25:06 AM »
    Yes the system sounded very good. I thought the Cd was a disappointment after listening to LPs from the beginning. Just could not get into it.
     Now if Dennis would adjust the speaker outriggers to actually get the speaker off the carpet I believe a large improvement in bass focus will further enhance the VG sound.
     BTw closing the doorway and moving the speakers more into the room was a change for the good. I bugged him for awhile about that. The new Grado Sonata Ref. was no slouch either. Last meeting his Clearaudio Virtuoso wood had a bent cant. The addition of the Audio Note kit phonostage  was a revelation. As a reminder Paul L. is a AN kit rep. The DAC kit is impressive as well. Paul any specials or deals going on ?

charles  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:30:50 AM by rollo »

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 05:56:56 PM »
I thought the speakers looked like they were in a different spot than the last time I was there. That is one thing about Thiels, they need room to breath behind then or they are just no happy campers.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline RussL

• Seeking Help
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 09:20:32 AM »
Looking fwd to hearing about the DAC/CDP comparos, once you all recover...    :D

The DAC shootout was a disappointment  as none of the three DACs were warmed up before being pressed into service.  The TriVista DAC was being used for the first time in almost a year; the PS Audio and Benchmark DACs had (also) not been used for some extended period of time.  The same was true for the digital interconnect cable, and worse, it was a BNC - BNC cable with RCA adapters! I’m sure that does not help maintain a 75 ohm impedance. :(

We all need to understand that break-in of equipment is real factor and that connecting up a piece of equipment (from dead cold) does not give a true picture of what that particular piece of equipment is capable of.  Break-in boils down to (IMHO) dielectric absorption.  Dielectric found capacitors, cables, etc., continually charge and discharge (adding and subtracting from the musical signal) until the dielectric becomes saturated.  Only at that point is all good to go.  :)  That is the idea behind battery biased dielectric cables.  Once the dielectric is saturated it stays that way regardless of the attached equipment being on or off.

Be that as it may, the Cullen modded PS Audio DAC edged out the TriVista DAC by a small margin as the group felt it had a smoother overall sound and was a bit more dynamic.  All felt that the Benchmark DAC was flat and not natural sounding.  Repeating the shootout under appropriate test conditions might change the results dramatically particularly in regard to the CD player used as the reference.

Another club member (Jay) will be using the TriVista for the next month or so to compare to the sound quality of his EAD DAC.

Russ