Group Therapy > Audio Syndrome NY

November 2009 Meeting.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Triode Pete:

--- Quote from: rollo on November 23, 2009, 05:57:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: shep on November 22, 2009, 11:19:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on November 22, 2009, 07:30:32 AM ---Jims Maggies are 25 years old this meeting. Talk about reliability. Wonder what jim has up his sleeve this year.

charles

--- End quote ---
I guess they should just about be run in  :roll:

--- End quote ---

Quite the contrary actually. The original Maggie 3. I do not believe has ever turned the volume up enoughto wear out a thing.  :lol:  Using modified Dynaco amps a Carey Pre a modified Art DIO DAC. We may hear a new mystery DAC . We shall see.

charles 

--- End quote ---

...Until Roy puts a beach towel over the speakers...ZZZzzzZZZ... :yay2:

Lizard_king:

Hey Pete,

I am so glad to see you post on our forum. You are missed and peopel speak very hughly about you. We all look forward to your return when you have more time.

Paul

--- Quote from: Triode Pete on November 23, 2009, 01:21:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on November 23, 2009, 05:57:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: shep on November 22, 2009, 11:19:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on November 22, 2009, 07:30:32 AM ---Jims Maggies are 25 years old this meeting. Talk about reliability. Wonder what jim has up his sleeve this year.

charles

--- End quote ---
I guess they should just about be run in  :roll:

--- End quote ---

Quite the contrary actually. The original Maggie 3. I do not believe has ever turned the volume up enoughto wear out a thing.  :lol:  Using modified Dynaco amps a Carey Pre a modified Art DIO DAC. We may hear a new mystery DAC . We shall see.

charles 

--- End quote ---

...Until Roy puts a beach towel over the speakers...ZZZzzzZZZ... :yay2:

--- End quote ---

tmazz:

--- Quote from: Lizard_king on November 23, 2009, 01:09:10 PM ---The Magnepan 3's are incredible speakers yet tough to setup and require lots of time.

--- End quote ---

Paul,

I think this is an unfair myth about Magnepans. IMO, Maggies are any harder to set up than any other similar quality speaker. Just ask anyone on this forum how much time they have spent fiddling with their speakers to get that placement just perfect.  I think what drives this myth is the fact that Maggies are a lot more finicky about placement than other speakers. If you put them where they want to be they should take no more time or effort to dial in than another type of speaker. However, Maggies are much less tolerent of suboptimal placement that other (dynamic?) speakers. And unfortunately the places that Maggie's are most comfortable tend to be spots that aremuch less compatible with interior decorating than other speakers. I think the hardest part about setting up a pair of Maggies is getting your significant other to agree to let you place them where they need to be ("You want to put the WHERE????"). But then again those of us without a mancave tend to have that problem no matter what type of speakers we have. But the difference with Maggies is that a small placement change made to the sake of marital peace will have make a much more significant change in sound when compared to other speakers. But if you have the right kind of space and the freedom to place them at will you should be good to go. Any thoughts from our Magnepan aficionados?

Pete,

I echo Paul's sentiments, I would be great to see you at one of our gatherings again. I hope you can stop down to Jim's on Friday.

Tom

rollo:
Experience counts with Maggie setup, that's for sure. After many years of playing with placement "I got it " so I thought.
   One evening Scot Markwell who was Harry Pearsons set up man came for dinner. After a while listening Scot asked if he could adjust the speakers a little. "yeah' no problem. I went back to the kitchen to finish dinner. Afterwards we went back for a listen. He adjusted the toe in and moved them a bit closer to the rear wall. spot on. He also moved my listening chair forward as well. Never have they sounded so coherent and full. Scot got carried away and pumped it up a lot. Blew the "F"en tweeters. The only saving grace was his relationship with Magnepan. Had new tweeters in {3} days and he surprised me with the 3.6 revisedribbons. Wow!
   I still like the Maggies just that the pipedreams are more dynamic and can handle the occasional 110db. Maggies and Audio research a match made in heaven.

charles

richidoo:
Nice story   :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version