Group Therapy > Audio Syndrome NY

Reference CD

(1/7) > >>

Lizard_king:
Hey Gang,

The time has come to make a CD(s) that we can use as a reference for our meetings. Let's put our thought together so I can make these for us to use.

Paul - President Audio Syndrome

tmazz:
Paul,

First of all there are some people who might take umberage to using any CD as a reference.......

I would prefer to refer to it a benchmark CD. Analog vs digital arguemen ts aside I think we have all heard the generational loss on digital copies , so it would be hard to call this disc a sonic reference source. But that aside I think having a club benchmark disc would be a valuable tool. Too many times we hear different music or even a different pressing of a favorite recording at somebody else's house and it is hard to know what differences are due to the system vs what differences arecaused by the differences in the input software. By having a discs that we know will be used at meetings we can all get intimately familiar with the recordings, which can only make us more productive listeners and evaluators at our get to gethers.

Why don't we work on this over the next couple of meetings. I think we should have folks bring down and recording they think should be included on the disc and we can play them for the group and come to a consensus as to whether we want to include it.

I also think it is important to duplicate this disc in enough numbers that every on in the club can have an identical copy, burned on the same equipment, using the same software and even the same brand of blanks. This way we can take all the extra variables  out of the equation and everyone can listen to the exact same disc on their own system and get a good benchmark with which to compare the sound of another system.

Let me know what you think.

Tom

Ecramer:
If i can throw my two cents in or two tunes in this case

Red Right Hand            Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds    The Best of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
I Got It Bad       Dayna Kurtz    Beautiful Yesterday

These are the two tracks i use the most they are not what you would think of As  a reference track till you sit down and evaluate them they have a lot going for them and you don't hear them every day

ED

AcidJazz:
Its a members only club Ed. You and I are not members, we paid no dues...we can only sing the blues.  :thumb:

tmazz:
Visiting dignitaries are always welcome, whether online or in person :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version