Author Topic: Repair Help  (Read 3643 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Repair Help
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »
I own a groovy Kenwood KD500 TT. It's a (ahem) high-end Japanese table form the 70's, corian-style base, heavy platter and a swell pitch control with an orange strobe.

Problem is that speed isn't terribly consistent...sometimes good, soooommmetimes nooootttt so goood.

My daughter wants to have it fixed for my birthday...because she is a sweety (and she wants to play me records). 

So I either need:

1) The name of a good place, hopefully in the southeast, where I can get the table reliably and inexpensively fixed or

2) Suggestions as to what is likely wrong, and tips on how to fix it.  I'm handy with a soldering gun and good at following directions.

I believe the issue either has something to do with the speed control or the motor itself.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Allen

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Repair Help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:16:08 AM »
The Analog Store  in Raleigh. Tell Alex that Rich sent you. He does good work, specializes in restoring vintage gear, especially TTs, r2r, tubes, etc.  He can find parts that are out of production.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »
Allen,

Here's a thread that you might want to check out... http://www.vinylengine.com/library/kenwood/kd-500.shtml

Here's the jist of one post...

I left my KD500 unused for about eight years and when I fired it up again, I thought It had a bad motor. It would not keep accurate speed. Turned out it just needed some use. I did clean the speed controler knobs, just in case, but I've been using it with like new results now for a couple of years.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:42:02 AM »
You guys rock.

I think I'll try idea number two first, then I'll look at the Raleigh repair shop.

Thanks.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »
Nice find Mike!

One nice thing of technics quartz direct drive, the speed is good, if nothing else.  :lol: