Author Topic: TT Alignment  (Read 9104 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: TT Alignment
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »
Getting closer.  Setting cart to midway in the slides by eye got me to within about 1mm of the arc on the Technics protractor.

This explanation to set overhang by Scott T. midway in this thread also helped a lot.   :idea:
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=95509

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
OK it's aligned. Not much fun, but something to think about. I kept wondering why am I doing all this instead of listening to music? But it sounds good now, so I'm glad I did it.  The final perfect alignment to the Technics protractor required moving the cart out almost to the end of the slots and twisting it slightly compared to the cast aluminum edges of the headshell. It also required two fistfuls of precious hair be pulled out, but fortunately no one was injured.

With no ground wire connected, there is no hum from the Bellari anymore. No question the sound is hugely improved over the last setup, but CD kicks butt on this analog rig. But at least it's listenable now, not boring. Frequency response is much better top and bottom, soundstaging, slam, everything's better. The wow is noticable now and then, even on quartz direct drive. I can hear sustained notes sag sometimes. The midrange tone is nice, but bass is slightly warm and highs are a tad hot. Time to roll in some tubes. 

I'll try putting the Shure back in at some point too, definitely with a new headshell.  Maybe buy me a nice new audiophile record without pops and hiss.

Thanks for all the help guys. It's much appreciated.
Rich

bacobits

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 07:54:16 AM »
My take on the Digital and Analog debate has been mostly software related.
I have some great CD's and great albums that are not on CD's hence keeping my vinyl.

As far as VTA on your table, you can still play a bit with business card (thickness) shims on the headshell if you would like and have the patience.
Should change the the bass and treble response a bit. Just loosen the cartridge a bit and slider er in.
That can be done over time.
There is a warmness, a rightness emotionally when getting that VTA right. Don't forget that table was not made for anal people.

Are we anal???? OH yes we are!

Great you got rid of the hummmm too, that's all just disconnect the ground wire.

Enjoy!

D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:59:30 AM by bacobits »