Author Topic: Ok, I admit it, analog still sounds better than digital  (Read 3868 times)

zybar

I was over my buddy's house yesterday and we listened to his excellent analog setup (details below) and  a Modwright Transporter with NOS 6SN7 TS Round Plates and I have to admit that I preferred the analog rig to the Modwright TP.   :-k 

Now, the Modwright sounded darn good and in no way was embarrassed or seriously outclassed by the analog rig, but for the first time I heard a sheen or haze with the Modwright.  It was there on any 16/44 music we tried and didn't seem to change with different recordings.   It also didn't have quite the same level of detail and spatial cues as the analog rig.  Again, not huge differences, but certainly audible.

So what was the analog rig?  Well, it is a pretty serious setup consisting of the following gear:

TW ACUSTIC Raven One turntable
Wheaton Tri-planar arm
DYNAVECTOR - DRT XV-1S MC PHONO CARTRIDGE
Manley Steelhead phono stage

Now in fairness, this analog setup is over 5x the cost of the Modwright TP and our intent wasn't to directly compare the two, but rather to see how much digital has improved and closed the gap on analog.  Since I don't own or haven't heard any very expensive digital setups, I don't know what would happen in a comparison of digital and analog front ends at the same price point.

It was a fun afternoon and the regardless of what we used as a source, the music sounded good.

Here are the other major components of the system:

Wilson Sophia 2's speakers
Pass XA 100.5 amps
Pass XP-20 or H20 Fire preamp
Synergistic Research PowerCell 10SE conditioner

George

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Ok, I admit it, analog still sounds better than digital
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:41:59 AM »
Wow, what a system.

I think the Raven One is reviewed favorably in current TAS magazine.

Ecramer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:43:50 PM »
I have to agree wow what a system i envy you the opportunity to hear
 such a system. two systems comes to mind one at Audio conections in NJ vpt tnt turn table with Audio Research reference phono pre, pre, and amp and Vandersteen 5a's which came in second place to art speaker Da Vincie system that i heard at RMAF last year,. The later system was pushing the the $200K mark

ED

Wow, what a system.

I think the Raven One is reviewed favorably in current TAS magazine.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
Everything about digital is better except for one thing: the sound.

Yes, you need a whole lot of investment in analog to get the best results, but the best results of analog always outdo the best results of digital.