Author Topic: Where do I start with a vinyl setup?  (Read 7688 times)

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Where do I start with a vinyl setup?
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »
Hi guys,
     I have never owned a TT and am now beginning my search.  My buddy has a $380 Pro-Ject TT that was a lot nicer than his digital rig.   It's got me to thinking.  I really don't know where to start.  Originally I had planned to go real cheap, but now i'm not so sure.... I can see myself immediately getting hooked and needing to sell the player, as I upgrade.   
    I am now comfortable spending $2k or maybe more on a setup.  Maybe some rationalizing and unloading some extra audio gear could bring this up to $3k, especially if it brings soul to the music. Other recent upgrades in my stereo have left some less than perfect Cd's sounding horrible ( anything from the 80's or 90's )

I don't mind going to the used market.  tables/arms/MC-MM  plus phono amp.  I have my system listed over at AC under Rob S.

Thanks for your help.

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline stereofool

Re: Where do I start with a vinyl setup?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:08:41 AM »
Rob,

The first question I would ask is...do you already have a record collection (of any size)? If not, then you would (eventually) be spending far more on putting together said collection than you ever would spend on your hardware.

You've got to consider that you need a turntable (duh), cartridge, and possibly a phono pre-amp. Used is probably a good way to go, in that you can pick up some nice tables for around half of what they cost new.

I was fortunate that I put my record collection (and turntable) in strorage when I switched to cd's...so that when I decided to add phono back into the system, I was ready to go.

Keep in mind, that with records you will have to get up and turn the record over (to hear the rest of the album), or switch to a different track, and you can't fast forward. Also, there will be ticks & pops that will be added to your music. That was one of my 'original' reasons for switching away from vinyl...not having to constantly get up and fiddle with the record. Also, now that I have ripped most of my cd collection to hard drive...I find myself getting up less, fumbling through many cd cases...to listen to a cd.

Now a real cd on a good cd does sound better than hard drive (usually), and a record does sound better than its cd counterpart. There are many factors to consider. Good luck :)!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:09:54 AM »
This would be a nice place to start

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1245612065

Although, you probably don't want to get into a low output moving coil right off the bat.    The above would leave you about 1500 (if you went $3k) for a cartridge and phono stage.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 06:15:47 AM »
Check out your local Craigs List for bargains
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/1118845399.html

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:39:56 AM »
I have zero records at this time, got rid of my small collection in the mid 80's.   I hope to do some digging for used albums, maybe consider buying a collection, in addition to buying the new Lp's of my favorites.

I saw the VPI listing on audiogon, seems right up my alley.  How much $$ do you put into a cartridge, keeping things in check with a $1500 TT?  From what I've read seems MC is the way to go,  Can this be had for reasonable $$?  How about  a phono that's reasonable also?

Rob S.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
If I were buying a 1500 tt, I'd probably put at least a few hundred into the cart, up to about 500 or so, and at least 1,k on the phono pre.  But, that's just a ballpark.

You'll also need cabling; TT->pre->linestage, and power cord for phono pre.  Hopefully you have some extra cables around that will work for now.  I think TT ic's are a little bit special... so you should probably consider a TT-IC... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I personally will always choose MC over MM.  I've heard the Gold Ring, and a few other MM's considered to be really good and always thought they sounded kind of lifeless and sometimes etched compared to MC's that sounded more whole.. and more like music.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Carlman,
     Ok, my limited guessing was 3-600 on cartridge and $500-$1000 on phono.   The thread over at AC for <$500 phonos has some options....  I like the Hagerman cornet, and the ability to upgrade it later.

Thanks guys for your feedback.

Rob S.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »
The only thing with a MC cart is that it needs a lot more gain than a normal cart.  It's kind of a tweaky thing to get into and there are some decent non-MC's out there for reasonable money that are much more flexible as to the phono stage you match them with.

The other thing you have to consider is that the compliance of the cartridge needs to be mated to the mass of the arm.  Nothing to do with MC or not necessarily, just a general thing you need to watch.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »
I like Audio-Technica cartridges for my mid-fi TT rig. They are fairly neutral and the excitement gets through. Their AT-150MLX is their top MM model for $360.  Their very popular AT440MLa is about $120. I use a Bellari tube phono preamp, good for budget system, and easy to mod.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »
Another inexpensive line of phono-pre's is the Graham Slee line. 

As for carts, it's SO much personal preference.  It's really matching to your preference and speakers. 

This is a nice MC cart that's high output so a standard phono stage will work.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Sumiko-Cartridge-Blackbird?sc=2&category=382

Another that's very sweet if the speakers aren't laid back is this one.

http://www.thecartridgeman.com/music_maker.htm

It's not an 'exciting' cartridge but it does what it's name says - it just makes music.  Call it PRAT, call it toe tapping, call it what you want.  It's not perfect but it's flaws are sins of omission rather than commission.  Just wants to make you sit back and listen.

There are dozens of others out there.

Bryan
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:18:50 AM by bpape »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »
Thanks for mentioning high output MC.. that's the best of both worlds... I have a Dynavector 10x5 that I would recommend to anyone.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

bacobits

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 04:39:02 PM »
Meeeee Tooooo! I'm sticking with Med output.
I like it, I like it.

Den