Systemic Development > Analog Devices

rebuilding cartridge suspensions

<< < (3/3)

Nick B:

--- Quote from: toobluvr on June 21, 2020, 06:07:55 AM ---That's almost 3X the Turntable Basics price.  Impossible to know if they are identical or "perform" equally well.

For the cartridge I'd either:

(1)  buy a worn stylus / busted cantilever "retip candidate" on the used markets (typically about $200) and send it off to Soundsmith for a $300 re-tip.   Total cost will be about $500.

or, (2)  buy a low hours / good condition used cart from a trusted seller.

I have employed both options several times and have always been happy.   Option (1) is less risky as you effectively get a new cartridge.
It will also be cheaper if the cartridge MSRP climbs over $850 (I'm assuming 60% price for a VGC used one).

I have no idea of the condition or worth of your current carts, but worst case maybe sell them cheap as-is (or as retip candidates) to help cover the cost?

--- End quote ---

I’m ok paying a bit more for the belt. The difficult part is trying to figure out the belt thickness as I don’t have calipers. I was originally contemplating having the cartridge  work done primarily to get a bit more money when I sell. I did more searches regarding value using Google this time and found a lot more information.

Both cartridges have been stored in optimal conditions. The replacement stylus cost for the Shure varies from $150 - $250, which seems reasonable based on all the glowing comments I’ve read.

toobluvr:
Since you are selling the whole package , I wouldn't fret over getting the carts 100% fixed.  IMO just not worth the time / effort / expense.  Yes you may get more with a perfect cart, but will your higher sell price cover repair costs?  I think we are talking small differences.  Not worth agonizing over.  Plus, the buyer may not desire that cart and he will put small value on it, making it hard for you to recover your repair costs.

I would just offer them as part of the package -- "as-is" with complete honesty in your ad description.  Or alternatively,  sell it without carts and sell the carts separately as re-tip candidates.  Maybe offer both options in your ad.  Adjust your prices accordingly.  Gives flexibility to buyer.

I really don't think absent or questionable condition carts will negatively impact the "saleabilty"  (is that a word?)  of your  table / arm setup.  At least it wouldn't for me.  The main selling point is the table / arm, not the carts.  Let the buyer do whatever he wants on the cartridge end.

toobluvr:
PS:  Bring your original belt to Home Depot and measure it with a caliper.    :thumb:

Nick B:

--- Quote from: toobluvr on June 21, 2020, 09:31:56 AM ---PS:  Bring your original belt to Home Depot and measure it with a caliper.    :thumb:

--- End quote ---

Ah, good idea :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version