Systemic Development > Analog Devices

Where do I start with a vinyl setup?

(1/3) > >>

Rob S.:
Hi guys,
     I have never owned a TT and am now beginning my search.  My buddy has a $380 Pro-Ject TT that was a lot nicer than his digital rig.   It's got me to thinking.  I really don't know where to start.  Originally I had planned to go real cheap, but now i'm not so sure.... I can see myself immediately getting hooked and needing to sell the player, as I upgrade.   
    I am now comfortable spending $2k or maybe more on a setup.  Maybe some rationalizing and unloading some extra audio gear could bring this up to $3k, especially if it brings soul to the music. Other recent upgrades in my stereo have left some less than perfect Cd's sounding horrible ( anything from the 80's or 90's )

I don't mind going to the used market.  tables/arms/MC-MM  plus phono amp.  I have my system listed over at AC under Rob S.

Thanks for your help.

Rob S.

stereofool:
Rob,

The first question I would ask is...do you already have a record collection (of any size)? If not, then you would (eventually) be spending far more on putting together said collection than you ever would spend on your hardware.

You've got to consider that you need a turntable (duh), cartridge, and possibly a phono pre-amp. Used is probably a good way to go, in that you can pick up some nice tables for around half of what they cost new.

I was fortunate that I put my record collection (and turntable) in strorage when I switched to cd's...so that when I decided to add phono back into the system, I was ready to go.

Keep in mind, that with records you will have to get up and turn the record over (to hear the rest of the album), or switch to a different track, and you can't fast forward. Also, there will be ticks & pops that will be added to your music. That was one of my 'original' reasons for switching away from vinyl...not having to constantly get up and fiddle with the record. Also, now that I have ripped most of my cd collection to hard drive...I find myself getting up less, fumbling through many cd cases...to listen to a cd.

Now a real cd on a good cd does sound better than hard drive (usually), and a record does sound better than its cd counterpart. There are many factors to consider. Good luck :)!!

bpape:
This would be a nice place to start

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1245612065

Although, you probably don't want to get into a low output moving coil right off the bat.    The above would leave you about 1500 (if you went $3k) for a cartridge and phono stage.

Bryan

richidoo:
Check out your local Craigs List for bargains
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/1118845399.html

Rob S.:
I have zero records at this time, got rid of my small collection in the mid 80's.   I hope to do some digging for used albums, maybe consider buying a collection, in addition to buying the new Lp's of my favorites.

I saw the VPI listing on audiogon, seems right up my alley.  How much $$ do you put into a cartridge, keeping things in check with a $1500 TT?  From what I've read seems MC is the way to go,  Can this be had for reasonable $$?  How about  a phono that's reasonable also?

Rob S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version