Author Topic: John Williams special concert in SD  (Read 5158 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
John Williams special concert in SD
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »
I was lucky enough to get one of the few remaining tickets to this. Had to brave horrible traffic on the I5, but totally worth it!!!

Supposedly there were a few hundred (?) outside who wanted in!

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-Diego-Magazine/Week-View/index.php/name/John-Williams/event/44054/

Heard him conduct the new Star Wars themes and he did encores of the old films. 

After six standing ovations he had to gesture that he was tired and needed to go to sleep!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: John Williams special concert in SD
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:20:21 AM »
I was lucky enough to get one of the few remaining tickets to this. Had to brave horrible traffic on the I5, but totally worth it!!!

Supposedly there were a few hundred (?) outside who wanted in!

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-Diego-Magazine/Week-View/index.php/name/John-Williams/event/44054/

Heard him conduct the new Star Wars themes and he did encores of the old films. 

After six standing ovations he had to gesture that he was tired and needed to go to sleep!

That must have been a real treat! I would have spent some good coin to see him. Am curious what you thought of the acoustics.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
I saw him conduct a Star Wars Suite with the Boston Pops at Tanglewood last summer. Outstanding performance. :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline malloy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »

That must have been a real treat! I would have spent some good coin to see him. Am curious what you thought of the acoustics.

Nick,

I was late buying ticket so we had only balcony seats.  I usually have season tickets in the same hall (Copley Hall in SD) in the orchestra section to the far right of the stage. I must say that the acoustics up in the balcony were much better than my usual seats! I could hear more instrument detail up there but of course the sound was more diffused. Lush sound. I would have liked to have paid more for front row center seats to get more layering and a more immediate sound, but I have never heard any stereo sound like that!  :thumb:

I don't know how many times John Williams has conducted the SD Symphony in the past or how long they practiced but he was able to coax out a better sound than the associate conductor who conducted the first part of the concert. The players simply played more dynamically, were more responsive, and tighter as a whole.

First time for me to hear a celesta live. For the past 20 plus years, what I had thought to be a glockenspiel or a marimba on the 3rd track from the OST of ET, the extraterrestrial (ET and me or Stargazers) turned out to be a celesta!

I didn't know the instrument figured so prominently in Williams' scores.

Paul

Offline malloy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 10:14:31 PM »
I saw him conduct a Star Wars Suite with the Boston Pops at Tanglewood last summer. Outstanding performance. :thumb:

Oh wow! What I would have paid to see that !   I was waiting for the force theme but he played both the Han and Leia love theme and the Imperial March as encores!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:24:04 PM »

Nick,

I was late buying ticket so we had only balcony seats.  I usually have season tickets in the same hall (Copley Hall in SD) in the orchestra section to the far right of the stage. I must say that the acoustics up in the balcony were much better than my usual seats! I could hear more instrument detail up there but of course the sound was more diffused. Lush sound. I would have liked to have paid more for front row center seats to get more layering and a more immediate sound, but I have never heard any stereo sound like that!  :thumb:

I don't know how many times John Williams has conducted the SD Symphony in the past or how long they practiced but he was able to coax out a better sound than the associate conductor who conducted the first part of the concert. The players simply played more dynamically, were more responsive, and tighter as a whole.

First time for me to hear a celesta live. For the past 20 plus years, what I had thought to be a glockenspiel or a marimba on the 3rd track from the OST of ET, the extraterrestrial (ET and me or Stargazers) turned out to be a celesta!

I didn't know the instrument figured so prominently in Williams' scores.

Paul

Thanks for the education, Paul. I had never heard the word celesta and looked it up on YouTube. What a nice sounding instrument.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
You are welcome, Nick.

I first heard it on Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. Such a gossamer feeling.

More famous nowadays, is of course Hedwig's theme in Harry Potter. Sounds ethereal, mysterios and magical. Williams is a master at creating texture through  a great theme and orchestration.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GTXBLyp7_Dw

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »

Thanks for the education, Paul. I had never heard the word celesta and looked it up on YouTube. What a nice sounding instrument.
Nick

You learn something new every day.... whether you like it or not.  :-k
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables