Author Topic: TRIODE WIRE LABS SPLIT DATA AND POWER USB CABLE  (Read 6545 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
TRIODE WIRE LABS SPLIT DATA AND POWER USB CABLE
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:52:27 AM »
  Who said USB cables make no difference HA, HA,HA,HA,HA,HA. This cable literally changed my digital world. We have proper tonality, harmonics, speed, clarity, detail, timbre and a hit in heart type of sound. Impressed to say the least this cable is a MUST have period. Save your pennies. Pete and Dave thank you for your work. :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: TRIODE WIRE LABS SPLIT DATA AND POWER USB CABLE
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »
I have to agree with Charles on this one.

I got mine about three months ago and it made a HUGE difference in the SQ I got playing DSD files via my laptop. 
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Guy 13

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Audio should be simple !
TRIODE WIRE LABS SPLIT DATA AND POWER USB CABLE
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 08:42:05 PM »
Hi all.
I am not a 100% believer in cable can make a (HUGE) difference.
However, I never tried Triode Wire labs products,
so I won't comment.
In addition : 329 USD to 399 USD is not within my budget
and to me, paying that much money for cables doesn't make sense even of the SQ is HUGE.
But thats me and I don't say that that usb cable doesn't make a difference.
I will add that to hear a HUGE difference, you must have a good overall system,
which is not my case.

Guy 13

Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline dBe

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:05:59 AM »
Hi all.
so I won't comment.
and to me, paying that much money for cables doesn't make sense even of the SQ is HUGE.
which is not my case.

Guy 13
Belief without experience is at best just a guess.  Years ago I was a “wire is wire” guy (not Guy, but guy) until I heard real and obvious positive differences.  That made me question most of my set in stone audio mantras.  It was then and only then that I began thinking outside of the whatever and began self education into the elusive reality of superior sound quality.

It was that first, big as a shoe box, teflon film and foil capacitor given to me by a long gone nuclear physicist that worked at Los Alamos Scientific Labs.  The cap was one that did not meet spec for whatever mumbo jumbo project that he was working on and headed to salvage.  Used as a tweeter crossover cap it revealed more information than I had ever heard.  This was at a time when even polypropylene was considered exotic.  I have often wondered just how many taxpayer dollars I had in my hands back then!

Changed my world.

Yes, there are some components that can reveal much more information than others in a musical way.  To me...that is what a “huge difference” is all about.

Just sayin’...

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:22:25 AM »
Hi all.
so I won't comment.
which is not my case.

Guy 13
Belief without experience is at best just a guess.  Years ago I was a “wire is wire” guy (not Guy, but guy) until I heard real and obvious positive differences.  That made me question most of my set in stone audio mantras.  It was then and only then that I began thinking outside of the whatever and began self education into the elusive reality of superior sound quality.

It was that first, big as a shoe box, teflon film and foil capacitor given to me by a long gone nuclear physicist that worked at Los Alamos Scientific Labs.  The cap was one that did not meet spec for whatever mumbo jumbo project that he was working on and headed to salvage.  Used as a tweeter crossover cap it revealed more information than I had ever heard.  This was at a time when even polypropylene was considered exotic.  I have often wondered just how many taxpayer dollars I had in my hands back then!

Changed my world.

Yes, there are some components that can reveal much more information than others in a musical way.  To me...that is what a “huge difference” is all about.

Just sayin’...

Thanks dBe for sharing your audio experience with me and maybe others....
Yes, some components can make a (Small, medium, big or huge) difference,
but at what price.
That's where experience from others and your budget and SQ goals have to be judge.

Guy 13

Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:34:24 AM »
Dave,
For DAC's that need to see 5VDC, did you do a 5VDC supply other than the battery version?   

I have your USB cable for the BatteryBUSS, but not using batteries anymore. 

The other option is to feed the BatteryBUSS with an external AC/DC power supply.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:37:39 AM by HAL »

Offline dBe

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 10:57:46 AM »
Dave,
For DAC's that need to see 5VDC, did you do a 5VDC supply other than the battery version?   

The other option is to feed the BatteryBUSS with an external AC/DC power supply.
build a 5V PS, but at the price it is hard to beat this puppy:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower/

They do really good work on some things.  Wall warts is one.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 11:08:53 AM »
Let me recap and expand on what I meant by a huge difference.

Up until recently I did all of my file listening via a Bluesound Node, which topped out at 192/24. The Node fed an original EE DAC which could not sync with the Node at  any higher than 96/24. So that's what I played. I had acquired a few DSD files but had no way of playing them so the just sat on the server.

Then I upgraded to a Project DAC that could play DSD files, so one night I sat down with a laptop and searched the web for some software that would allow me to feed the DSD files to the DAC. It took a bit of work, but I was able to get something set up and play the DSDs. At the time the only USB cable I had available was a generic one that came packed with some kind of computer peripheral. But since the objective was at that point to just see of I could get the files to play I did not have an issue with using the cheap cable. It took a bit of doing but I found and configured a player and was good to go. Unfortunately the results were not too good from a sonic standpoint. The files were rather flat sounding and were not even as good as PCM files played through the DAC via the Bluesound. But I reasoned that this was because neither the play nor any of the settings on the computer were tweaked to optimize audio playback. But I figured then potential was there and I would have to work on optimizing the setup. At this point I contacted Pete and got one of his split head USB cables. I was planning to use this as part of a full makeover of the laptop playback system. Things got busy and I did not have time to fiddle with the laptop, but I figured why not insert the TWL USB cable and let it burn in so that at least it would be ready for prime time when I got around to the laptop tweaking. Upon inserting the TWL cable and firing up a DSD file I was totally blow away. The sound went from very flat consumer mass fi in nature to what I would expect to hear from a high end system in terms of resolution and soundstaging. And changing the cable was the only thing I did. It change the whole nature of the listening experience, transforming it from a situation where the music was there but not engaging enough to serve as much other than background music, to one where I was drawn in to the music and wanted to sit down and listen attentively. That is why I categorized it as a huge change.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 11:09:52 AM »
Dave,
I have the iFi 5VDC wall wart that I tried with a RPi3.   Will see if I can adapt the connectors to the MiniXLR style cable.  I have the Mini sockets you sent.

So many projects!  :shock:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »
Dave,

build a 5V PS, but at the price it is hard to beat this puppy:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower/

They do really good work on some things.  Wall warts is one.

A big +1 on that recommendation Dave. I replaced the stock wall wart that came with my Pro Ject DAC with one of those ifi 5V supplies and it was well worth the $49 I paid for it.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 11:46:18 AM »
It has all been here for quite awhile. 

Now need to make the adapter cable to go from the iFi 5VDC power supply to the USB cable.

Offline dBe

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »
It has all been here for quite awhile. 

Now need to make the adapter cable to go from the iFi 5VDC power supply to the USB cable.
The DC power plug on the USB cable that you have there is a 5.5mm x 2.5mm. iF you need a matching power jack I can send you a Switchcraft that will work for you.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
Here is my KIS alternative to start.

Use one of the iFi coax adapter cables and cut off the unused connector and wire it directly to the Mini-XLR for testing.

Just need to know the Mini-XLR pins for the wiring.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:08:16 PM by HAL »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 01:07:26 PM »
ITT makes an inline Mini-XLR 4 pin connector that I can solder the iFi adapter coaxial connector cable into.  Should be here this week to try.

Pin 2 - GND, Pin 1 - +5VDC for connections.

Note: From cable pinout from BatteryBUSS 5VDC cable with Fluke 87III ohm meter setting.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:16:03 PM by HAL »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
Prototype adapter for iFi +5VDC coaxial to USB cable Mini-XLR connector.

Checked and +5VDC on center pin, sleeve is GND.

Now to seal the wiring up and give it a try.