Author Topic: Subwoofers- Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...  (Read 4032 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Subwoofers- Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 06:46:47 PM »

40 hz crossover- 50 hz brought in slight congestion, not boom, but a tad congested.

Most likely because at a 50Hz crossover point there is an bunch of signal that is getting played through both the subs and the mains and since they are not placed in different spots in the room you are getting time alignment errors between the sound emanating from both speakers. With the crossover set lower the natural fall off of the main speakers is preventing "cross-contamination" with the sub. Since the main speakers are playing full range you want to make sure that the subs are only doing what the mains cannot and not replicating anything that they alradey handle.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 06:49:12 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 06:47:32 AM »
I am using the speaker level inputs as in the ‘REL way’ of doing things, so I can’t do what Emil suggested- however, some other woofers do allow on the fly adjustments via a phone app. I could see this being especially useful where there is shared duty between HT and music. Luckily I’m just doing music with this sub.
As far as the -3 db point of my speakers, the manufacturer specifies 32 hz. This may be so in a perfect room with ideal placement, neither of which I have. When I use my sound check cd, I come in closer to 40 hz. So I basically am doing what Charles suggests. It is a front firing sub.
To further elaborate on the crossover point- the Hsu uses a 24db/octave slope- this makes it a pretty clean break at the crossover point. Other manufacturers may do the same- I don’t know.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 08:06:43 AM »
  Appears you have a good handle on the set up. If you can have the centerline of the driver 22% of your ceiling height off the floor even better. Try it.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 11:11:05 AM »
Not a technical post- but man, ‘The Bach Gamut’ with Virgil Fox Reference Recording has taken on new life. It’s true most music doesn’t have much content below ~ 32 Hz, but this album does. My dog was just looking around barking, for no apparent reason other the house vibrating. In a very good way!
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
Not a technical post- but man, ‘The Bach Gamut’ with Virgil Fox Reference Recording has taken on new life. It’s true most music doesn’t have much content below ~ 32 Hz, but this album does. My dog was just looking around barking, for no apparent reason other the house vibrating. In a very good way!

Glad the Hsu is working out well, and hopefully, your dog is able to enjoy music at higher frequencies 🎼
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 01:11:44 PM »

A good one Try Gladiator sound track as well as the Thin Red Line Harry Pearson would play them for us to show off the Bass.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.