Author Topic: New Quads anyone?  (Read 12772 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
New Quads anyone?
« on: September 07, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »
Heard the Quads again today at the dealer, this time with the Manley Shrimp the hell out of the way. What a difference. This time it was Quad CDP player>Quad tube preamp> Manley Snappers > Quad 2805 up on 4" box stand, using DHLabs wires throughout. It was pretty awesome playing Keb Mo. Sweetspot is dramatically different from 2 feet to either side, but once inside it holy crap, that was awesome!  Detail and tone is the best I ever heard. Bass is OK, good down to about 40, maybe, thumpy but I wouldn't call it slam. Upper bass stuff penetrates and shakes your whole body, I could feel the piano low notes inside my head and in my teeth.

The dealer and my friend, Alex Lok, had a couple pairs of 63s in for repair which he declothed to demonstrate to me and my buddy just how the Quad works in detail. He had some spare 2805 panels we held and explained how the rings work, dust cover, and all that. He has been working on Quad ESLs for many years.

I heard them last week with the Shrimp in the system, and it was really held back. The little Quad tube preamp designed by Walker himself is gentle and smooth, but rolls the highs off and slows down details a little. It will be fun to hear them with my livelier cables and preamp up next week.

Any Quad lovers out there? rollo, I know you like them... I have heard 988, 989 and these 2805s are  better than both of those.

Bigfish8

Re: New Quads anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 08:21:24 PM »
Rich:

Arnold Marr of Core Furniture owns the 2805s.  He, apparently, loves Quad Speakers and has owned all of the previous models.  Arnold told me the 2805s are the best with the original 57's second. 

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:39:47 AM »
To Quad or not to Quad. That is the question. The answer is simple. If your a rocker stay away, if your a Jazz Classical or Acoustic fan jump in. As far as the sweet spot is concerned, it has been much improved since the 63. You do not have to keep your head fixed. However it is a one listener speaker, the sweetspot is limited. Who cares its that one person, its YOU that counts. No big deal IMO.
       The Quads always and to date have had the Midrange performance all speakers wish they had. If you put on a Julie London LP you would probably have to touch yourself. Midbass is just so real you feel it . Presence is in a class of its own as well. They need a sub and a super tweeter to make them world beaters. Just ties the whole shabang together. Without the supertweeter and just the sub you can live happily. The tweeter could be the final upgrade. Do not misunderstand, the sub and super tweeter are not required to give you bliss just added bliss. The Quads draw you into the music. You just sit back forget about the equipment and enjoy the music.
       If you have the scratch and do not play Nirvana go for it.

rollo

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 03:44:50 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 12:16:44 PM »
That's a classic rollo response! You had me laughing the whole way. I agree with what you said. I guess I am a Quad type, as long as there is a way to get the bass if you need it. On 988s with very wimpy amps  I couldn't even hear the low tuba notes so that was frustrating. On my current speakers, It just keeps going lower and lower, crystal clear, effortless. I think I would miss that. Gotta hear that music on the new quads to see how much is missing. Bass isn't too bad on 2805 (40Hz), but not like big plungers. 2905 is supposed to be even better bass, 5Hz lower and 3dB louder at same freq. But it's not about  the specs with the Quad. It is really very different animal. I'll give them a workout next week.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:37:03 PM »
Heard the 2805s again today (busy morning). Brought the minimax and grover ICs. The shop's DHLabs thin speaker wire was used. Cayin SACD player source.

My impression from listening today was not so great, and since that doesn't match the reviews of the speakers, I assume it is due to system incompatibility or maybe a component was having a bad day.  I'm just gonna forget about today and wait to hear them in another system.
Rich

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:12:14 PM »
Here's another long buried topic dug up from the grave...

I went back to the Quad dealer again today prepared to bias his Manley Snappers to get another crack at absolving the Quads from the previous lousy audition. The biases were WAY off. The highest to lowest bias currents between the 8 tubes were about 30% apart from nominal current. I can hear the difference when mine are only 5% out of adjustment. After adjusting, the sound came alive. These are great speakers. The dynamics were still tame, something I am hyper sensitive to from my Legacys and recently the Ushers. The quads sounded flat on crescendos at lowish normal listening volume. I turned up the volume, and everything came up perfectly the same, the dynamics were exactly the same, and the sound was still fast and pure. So that tells me that the dynamic limitation is not caused by the speaker. I get the same feeling when I put the Manley Shrimp into my system, so I suspect that is even more audible with the quads. I treeid the minimax last time, but without bias set properly there was no center to the music, so focusing on even more subtle things like micro dynamics was not possibe. Mid range DHLabs wires are not up to the Grover Huffman standard either, so a bit of fog, but even with that the detail was really amazing, and how effortless and gentle, not aggressive at all, just like real sound.

I played a lot of classical, big brassy stuff down to solo violin, and it all sounded good. Solo Cello was very revealling of the smooth bass response. There is no mid bass suckout as with a dynamic bass driver with floor bounce. Even organ music was perfectly listenable into the low notes, even though the house shaking amplitude was not there. The 2905s are supposedly even better in the low end.

The biggest thing I loved was the perfect tone. Relaxed and effortless, the instruments just sound real. Listening to Miles playing a fast high note solo, I could feel my embrouchure reacting to his notes, subsconsciously making the motions of playing triggered by the realism of his sound. I could hear the squeezing lips and twisting moutpiece, or at least feel the feeling of it from the detail in the sound. I only get that feeling listening to trumpeters live in concert without PA.  Cool!

Jazz bass sounded pretty good, but the audition room is tiny, and untreated for bass, so detail was hard to hear below 50Hz, eventhough I cuold feel the woofy power they were making into those low notes. It could be the tube amps with 5ohm output tranny is not low enough, or could just be the bad bass response from the small untreated room. I got a good price quote from the dealer on the 2905, now the consideration begins. The Snappers that I already have sounded great on 2805, not hyped at all, good match for the Quad.  Jon Valin, my fav reviewer, recommended the 2905 as the best value of all the over 10k speakers he heard at CES 08. To me that only means that it has natural accurate tone, low distortion and natural feeling music flow based on his other articles and preferences which I share. I wuld need to hear it first, of course.  I assume there will be no bass drum thud impact on rock tunes. I gotta hear it to see what's the compromise. The imaging isn't as good as a tweeter, but the high frequencies are much better than any tweeter I have ever heard. rollo is right,this is a great classical speaker.

Quad warehouses all US speakers in my old hometown of Norwood, MA.  We used to do donuts and drink beer in highschool in that parking lot. haha

Has anyone heard the Quad 2905? I have been reading asylum OTL forum. Low feedback Circlotrons (atma-sphere) are supposed to be great with Quads.
Thanks
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:28:09 AM »
So, sounds like your Quad quandry was quelled.... Leading to a quantum leap! ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:39:58 PM »
Watch that first leap, it's a doozy.