Author Topic: I’m about to open the Border  (Read 11563 times)

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
Re: I’m about to open the Border
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 08:45:15 AM »
Meant R2R ladder DAC😆
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
I hear ya!😁 I had an itch too. I just bought a Denafrips Terminator DAC after reading the buzz on the internet. I have around 45 hours on it and it is sounding pretty impressive.

They have a cheaper model called an Ares that suppose to sound pretty close to this flagship model.
If that’s true for the price it’s a great find. I think it cost 8 or $900.

It is a latter Dac like your Schitt.

Ares is listed as 880 Singapore dollars which is around 650 bucks.

@mresseguie, if I remember you did a eval also on the Denafrips DAC (I vaguely remember that it might have been sent around on tour)

Sorry, Nick we are hijacking your Border Patrol thread  :duh
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 11:51:43 AM by shadowlight »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
I hear ya!😁 I had an itch too. I just bought a Denafrips Terminator DAC after reading the buzz on the internet. I have around 45 hours on it and it is sounding pretty impressive.

They have a cheaper model called an Ares that suppose to sound pretty close to this flagship model.

@mresseguie, if I remember you did a eval also on the Denafrips DAC (I vaguely remember that it might have been sent around on tour)

No problem, Deepak. I’m maybe #1 as far as getting sidetracked from  the original topic. I do remember something about Michael and the Denafriips
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 05:39:13 PM »
Emil, question, what do you do to step up from the B P DAC?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

Howdy!

I need to dig around in my cobwebs a sec. Oh, yeah. Well, briefly here's what I did:

I auditioned the Venus model which is third in the line. I got it with under a 100 hours burn in. It did not sound very impressive, but I know (and knew then) that good DACs need time to burn in. By the time it had about 150(?) hours on it, I took it up to Bothell, WA for an audio G2G. A bunch of us heard it, but no one got excited. The following day I drove home. I continued burning it in for another 100-plus hours. Somewhere in the 250 to 300 hours range I started noticing the kind of results that I had hoped I might hear.

I was preparing to fly to Taiwan, so I shipped it back to Singapore. At that time, my thinking was that I would order the Terminator while I was in Taiwan. However, my plans changed for a couple reasons. The biggest reason is I decided to bring my Don Sachs Model 2 preamp back to Oregon to pair with my D Sachs Kootenay 120 amp and my Apollo speakers. Without a good preamp in Taiwan, there's no point in buying a nice DAC that lacks a volume control.

A second reason why I changed plans is because I decided to audition a DAC while I was temporarily back in OR/WA caring for my mother (this past Feb and March). I ended up auditioning the dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE DAC (with Jupiter Cu caps!). I honestly expected that I would be underwhelmed by this DAC and would send it back to Eric Heider. Guess what? With zero burn in, I hooked it up to my system and it sounded wonderful. It took the Venus nearly 300 hours to approach this level. So I didn't send it back. I bought the damned thing. [It's not a bad damned thing. It's a great damned thing!]

I wasn't impressed enough by the Venus to want to keep it. The Venus and the Tranquility are about the same price, I think. I paid extra to have the Jupiter caps added.

I still have no preamp in my system in Taiwan. I'm using my Gustard X20u as DAC/pre. It's not nearly as nice as when my Model 2 was in the system, but it's not bad either. I don't know what I will do at this point. I keep my eyes peeled for used Lampizator Atlantic DACs with volume control because I know I love its sound. However, the price is kinda scary. Perhaps I'll feel wealthier once I manage to sell my home in Oregon?

Does this help?

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 12:30:12 AM »
...Too bad it doesn’t have a usb jack as it would be interesting to hear Eric Hider’s tweaked and modded Mac mini with it....
Nick
nick, maybe you need a schiit eitr.   :D

http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

doug s.

Hmmm, another gizmo....another box. Doug, I was wondering last night if there was such a device and here it is  :thumb: I’m just kicking back and enjoying the dac for a couple of hours late at night. Things are very hectic as we’re having some painting and flooring done. We actually found a construction guy who’s good, reliable, conscientious and ...... somewhat expensive. But at least it’s gonna get done 🔨  🚧
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 12:40:47 AM »

Howdy!

I need to dig around in my cobwebs a sec. Oh, yeah. Well, briefly here's what I did:

I auditioned the Venus model which is third in the line. I got it with under a 100 hours burn in. It did not sound very impressive, but I know (and knew then) that good DACs need time to burn in. By the time it had about 150(?) hours on it, I took it up to Bothell, WA for an audio G2G. A bunch of us heard it, but no one got excited. The following day I drove home. I continued burning it in for another 100-plus hours. Somewhere in the 250 to 300 hours range I started noticing the kind of results that I had hoped I might hear.

I was preparing to fly to Taiwan, so I shipped it back to Singapore. At that time, my thinking was that I would order the Terminator while I was in Taiwan. However, my plans changed for a couple reasons. The biggest reason is I decided to bring my Don Sachs Model 2 preamp back to Oregon to pair with my D Sachs Kootenay 120 amp and my Apollo speakers. Without a good preamp in Taiwan, there's no point in buying a nice DAC that lacks a volume control.

A second reason why I changed plans is because I decided to audition a DAC while I was temporarily back in OR/WA caring for my mother (this past Feb and March). I ended up auditioning the dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE DAC (with Jupiter Cu caps!). I honestly expected that I would be underwhelmed by this DAC and would send it back to Eric Heider. Guess what? With zero burn in, I hooked it up to my system and it sounded wonderful. It took the Venus nearly 300 hours to approach this level. So I didn't send it back. I bought the damned thing. [It's not a bad damned thing. It's a great damned thing!]

I wasn't impressed enough by the Venus to want to keep it. The Venus and the Tranquility are about the same price, I think. I paid extra to have the Jupiter caps added.

I still have no preamp in my system in Taiwan. I'm using my Gustard X20u as DAC/pre. It's not nearly as nice as when my Model 2 was in the system, but it's not bad either. I don't know what I will do at this point. I keep my eyes peeled for used Lampizator Atlantic DACs with volume control because I know I love its sound. However, the price is kinda scary. Perhaps I'll feel wealthier once I manage to sell my home in Oregon?

Does this help?

Michael

Hey Michael,
I remember your comments about the Tranquility. I forgot, did you use it with Erics Mac mini?
As to the Lampi, it’s got a great reputation. Hope you find a “pre-owned” one
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 04:33:48 AM »
well, it seems to me that emil prefers his schiit yggdrasil.  i'd say try a modified art di/o.   :rofl:

doug s.

Huh?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »

Howdy!

Does this help?

Michael

Hey Michael,
I remember your comments about the Tranquility. I forgot, did you use it with Eric's Mac mini?
As to the Lampi, it’s got a great reputation. Hope you find a “pre-owned” one
Nick

Nick,

I have not tried Eric's Mac Mini, though I'm considering the possibility. I'm using the Mac Mini that I've had as my main computer for about three years. I know it's not ideal.

I've got one of Dave's Pi Audio USB cords and the special DAC power cord that Eric sells. 

Modwright Dan has announced plans to mod the Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC. I think this has great potential. I have heard two separate owner modified MP-D2 DACs at the above G2G, so I know some of what the DAC is capable of. Its weak link IMO is the stock volume pot that is used. If you've got a separate preamp, the DAC sounds great; If you use the DAC as preamp, it sounds thin. MP's owner, Garry, did tell me about a better quality volume control, but I'm unfamiliar with its sound. Even a Modwright modded MP-D2 would be about half the price of an Atlantic(!).

How does the BP DAC sound in your system?

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Michael,
It really sounds nice. Very revealing and organic sounding. It has a little bit of sibilance, but I have a stock power cord on it and am using a new receptacle on the Uber. We have a contractor in the house, so no music for at least 5-7 days 😢😢
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
Slip that contractor a twenty to get him moving! [I know. Twenty will get you nowhere.]

As we only just returned to our house; it's on the market, and it's nearly empty...I'm using a second system (Folsom's little chip amp, Nuprime DAC-9, Adelphos speakers and the new Obsession and one of the American 7+ PCs.

I haven't listened to these speakers in a few months and haven't had music in this particular room in a couple years, but the speakers seem a bit off. It could be the room, the new PCs, the combination of gear, speaker location, or the pollen in the air. Who knows?

You'll get your music and sanity back in no time.
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:26 AM »
Michael,
It really sounds nice. Very revealing and organic sounding. It has a little bit of sibilance, but I have a stock power cord on it and am using a new receptacle on the Uber. We have a contractor in the house, so no music for at least 5-7 days 😢😢
Nick

Slap a TWL power cord on that baby. I believe Gary voices his gear with Pete's cords
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 05:39:31 AM »
Michael,
Nick

Slap a TWL power cord on that baby. I believe Gary voices his gear with Pete's cords

For the record, Mr. Dews voices his DAC's with my "Split Power & Data" USB cable (with his MacMini), my "Spirit 75" S/PDIF cable (for his CD transport), and my "Digital American" power cord to power his DAC... same set-up for all the audio shows...

Happy Memorial Day weekend,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 10:12:48 AM »
Michael,
Nick

For the last couple of years, I’ve used AN member gander....aka Gary A....cabling. Really great stuff for a good price. Using his cables was really a breakthrough as to performance.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 04:10:06 PM »
well, it seems to me that emil prefers his schiit yggdrasil.  i'd say try a modified art di/o.   :rofl:

doug s.

Huh?

Wow, that brings back memories Doug. I had 2, modded different ways and used them for a long, long time. I know you did too, and maybe still do. I'm pretty sure Tom had one as well for a while. I actually made one with a transformer coupled output, called it the Franken-dio. It was truly shooting way above most anything under $1K.

You're right, it might still hold its own today, especially for the price point and a little solder.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.