Author Topic: Fozgometer - Wow!  (Read 30767 times)

musicfile

Re: Fozgometer - Wow!
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »

I wasn't critical of anyone who thinks the Fozgometer is a useful tool.  But I don't agree that one is necessary to get a cartridge aligned well enough so it produces great sound.  

--Jerome

True, if your azimuth is not way outta whack. The improvement is a matter of degree, and is a function of how outta whack your starting position is.

I have experienced it, several times.  I fozgoed one guy whose cartridge needed about a 40 degree clockwise rotation!  Did it sound good pre-fozgo?  Sure it did, and he was enjoying his vinyl playback.  But oh my, the power and glory post fozgo!  It was not subtle.  Things just locked into place and the pesentation got very focused, solid, coherent, dimensional and natural.  Just more "right".

I am neither an obsessive tweakaholic nor snake oil obsessed.  I don't even use cones or footers of any sort, no shaktis, no thing-a-ma-jigs, no thing-a-ma-bobs, just a very solid maple butcher block rack.  But having experienced it's effect firsthand many times, I can attest to the power of the Fozgo.  So much so that, as I said earlier, I would never own an arm that does not do azimuth adjustments.

Sure, you can get good sound w/o Fozgo.  But you are almost guaranteed to get noticeably better sound with it.  And I don't consider it tweaky or fiddly or obsessive.  I consider it critical.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think it's better to develop that opinion with actual experience before voicing it so strongly.

John

Hey John
Glad to see you're back !

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
Jerome.....

I never said you can't get good sound w/o the fozgo.  Matter of fact you can, and I said so above.  It's just that it allows you to get "mo better" sound...especially if your cart is not built right and your arm is in neutral azimuth position (ie: not rotated either way), or you have tried to adjust for it with some non-fozgo method.

I will however, disagree that other methods are just as good -- as you seem to be asserting.  I'm sorry, but there is just no way you can use either your ears or eyes, and get the same precise results that Fozgo can give you.  No way.   God bless you if you are Superman and you can!  

Now, if you don't have super-human powers can you get lucky and get close?  Sure.  But Fozgo eliminates luck and gives certainty.   And it does so very quickly.  No fuss, no muss.  

And I never brought $$ into the equation.  If you don't think it's worth it...fine.  That is all subjective and a legitimate pt of view.  All I've ever said is: (1)  it is an excellent tool for dialing in azimuth, (2) that it is superior to anything else out there, and (3) that in my experience its effect is not subtle.  And every guy who has seen it in action will concur on these points.  I don't know why you continue to argue against these obvious facts.    

You seem to be taking this whole thing way too seriously and personally.  Just chill.  You are entitled to your opinion, and it doesn't bother me.  If you think you have a better method, or one just as good, fine, enjoy yourself.  But I will never agree that you do.  Nor will most others.  That's all.  

Now back to spinning vinyl on this snowy day w my superb sounding and fozgo'ed analog rig!     :thumb:

John
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Jerome,
I am sorry if some offense was felt on your part, no offense was intended.
I just bought a 2hure cartridge for $60 that I am going to setup up on my son's table and I will Fozgo that cartridge for sure. So it is not about money.
Having balanced tires on a Chevy is as important as on a Ferrari.

I am not a trial lawyer nor investment banker and still I would want my azimuth correct if I could. I am lucky I have such good friends with nice toys.
Maybe a trip to Conn with the Fozgo is in order?

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
How about a trip to SE PA with it. :duh
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »
If John is up to it, I will go
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
The ultimate Fozz ... Hey, do it my way!!! This thing rocks.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:00:36 PM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »
With that I think I will gracefully bow out of this thread.  I feel that my comments have been something of a distraction and it was not my intent to run the thread off topic.  For that I do apologize.

I don't think your comments were off topic by even the slightest amount. They were right on point and brought about some valid discussion about the use of the Fozgometer.

No apology needed at all.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:13:44 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
Well, since I heard such a great improvement after getting Fozgo'd on my Grado Sonata & now my Clearaudio Maestro Wood, I took the plunge & purchased one along with the recommended test LP.

I'm putting together a "Lifetime Lease" membership for those who want to join my "Fozgo Club" in the NYC Metro area.

Hopefully, I'll have ~ 10 leasees who are interested in a $20 "Lifetime Lease" in using a Fozgometer on their analog rig in conjuction with the Analogue Productions Test LP. I'll even come over & personally show you how to do it!

This is the only way I could justify the cost of purchasing this great test device in my head & have others share in the value of being "Fozgo'd"!

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

evan1

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »
Well, since I heard such a great improvement after getting Fozgo'd on my Grado Sonata & now my Clearaudio Maestro Wood, I took the plunge & purchased one along with the recommended test LP.

I'm putting together a "Lifetime Lease" membership for those who want to join my "Fozgo Club" in the NYC Metro area.

Hopefully, I'll have ~ 10 leasees who are interested in a $20 "Lifetime Lease" in using a Fozgometer on their analog rig in conjuction with the Analogue Productions Test LP. I'll even come over & personally show you how to do it!

This is the only way I could justify the cost of purchasing this great test device in my head & have others share in the value of being "Fozgo'd"!

Pete

I'm in

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »
Damn, we so need to get one of these down in NC here (or Pete, get you to visit!)

The Fozgometer is definitely on my Christmas list.  Surely some audio-retailer on the web is bound to have a Black Friday sale, right?   If anyone hears of such, please post!

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »

Pete

I'm in

Me too.  :D
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »

Pete

Unlike Groucho, I'm willing to join a club who would have me as a member. Roadtrip to Jersey after you hit Evan in SI.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »

Pete

I'm in

Me too.  :D

Me 3 !!! :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2011, 11:50:35 AM »
Pete, if you go to Evan's you know where you're going next! :thumb:

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

evan1

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »
Pete, if you go to Evan's you know where you're going next! :thumb:

Joe

If you want to play you have to pay :rofl: