Author Topic: Fozgometer - Wow!  (Read 30766 times)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Fozgometer - Wow!
« on: October 08, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »
Fellow AN member toobluvr came over today for a listen & to pick-up his British made Talk CD player.

He also brought over a Fozgometer,  a very clever device to get azimuth perfect on your TT cartridge.

Wow... what a difference! It literally took about 30 seconds to dial-in my azimuth (on the fly) on my new WT Reference TT. Sound is more coherent and balanced! A very noticeable difference for the good! Beg, borrow, buy or steal one to really dial-in your analog rig! Might be a great "Group Buy" for an audio club like Audio Syndrome... hint, hint, Sir Charles Rollo!

My turntable, which is ~ 85% of getting there is now about 90% there. Thanks, John!

Need to work on dampening settings, various VTA's, etc.. on my table next... it's getting close...need to get to "goosebump" level!

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

lonewolfny42

Re: Fozgometer - Wow!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
Agreed the Fozgometer is a must have for anyone that has an arm that can adjust azimuth.

Does wonders for imaging and balance. God knows how many arms out there have whacked out azimuth :duh
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:17:03 AM »
This just may be on my Christmas list this year.  Funny, I never see these on sale or used on A'gon.   

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:22:25 AM »
God knows how many arms out there have whacked out azimuth :duh

or... a whacked out cartridge in which the stylus is twisted & may not be visible to the naked eye...
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 07:29:40 AM »
Then you need the Dino-Lite USB microscope, which is on my Xmas list, great for setting VTA angles and just plain FUN!
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
Then you need the Dino-Lite USB microscope, which is on my Xmas list, great for setting VTA angles and just plain FUN!

Interesting find!  Get's a bit pricey as you bump up resolution but I can think of a lot of uses for something like this.  Which one are you looking at?

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
I'm going to have to invite you over some day soon John and check my azimuth. You haven't heard my new (used) Apogees either yet.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:13 AM »
  A must have for the vinyl junkie. You do not know what your missing until azimuth is correct. Same for VTA.

charles
SMA

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »
Well my audio buddy John (toobluvr) came over today to dial-in my new Clearaudio Maestro Wood. I had it set-up pretty anal retentive (tracking force dead on @ 2.2 g, overhang perfect, VTA dead-on flat level with a normal LP, yaddya, yaddya, yaddya). I left the azimuth as perfectly perpendicular as can be...

Before toobluvr & BobM came over, I set-up Stan Ricker's Cardas LP Frequency Sweep & Burn-in record... I noticed that the left channel was perfect but the right channel had some slight crossover from the left channel.

Fast forward; hooked-up the Fozgometer & it told me the same thing... Had to adjust azimuth a very noticeable 15 degrees or so clockwise to achieve perfect channel equilibrium.

Wow, getting goosebumps right now from setting the azimuth correctly! Looking at the cartridge, you'd never think it was set-up correctly but it is... imaging, channel separation, PRAT is great... :thumb:

Thanks, John!

Pete
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:24:01 PM by Triode Pete »
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

evan1

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
Well my audio buddy John (toobluvr) came over today to dial-in my new Clearaudio Maestro Wood. I had it set-up pretty anal retentive (tracking force dead on @ 2.2 g, overhang perfect, VTA dead-on flat level with a normal LP, yaddya, yaddya, yaddya). I left the azimuth as perfectly perpendicular as can be...

Before toobluvr & BobM came over, I set-up Stan Ricker's Cardas LP Frequency Sweep & Burn-in record... I noticed that the left channel was perfect but the right channel had some slight crossover from the left channel.

Fast forward; hooked-up the Fozgometer & it told me the same thing... Had to adjust azimuth a very noticeable 15 degrees or so clockwise to achive perfect channel equilibrium.

Wow, getting goosebumps right now from setting the azimuth correctly! Looking at the cartridge, you'd never think it was set-up correctly but it is... imaging, channel separation, PRAT is great... :thumb:

Thanks, John!

Pete

Guess I missed a good day.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »

Fast forward; hooked-up the Fozgometer & it told me the same thing... Had to adjust azimuth a very noticeable 15 degrees or so clockwise to achive perfect channel equilibrium.

Thanks, John!

Pete

Guess I missed a good day.

Yes you did, you workaholic (I know, "You're "On It""). You're welcome over anytime, Evan!

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »
Get ready for Fozgometer to raise their price! :rofl:

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
Get ready for Fozgometer to raise their price! :rofl:

If that's the case, I'll build my own... or set-up my digital Fluke to do the same thing... just need to get a pair of RCA leads... pretty simple...
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Innuos Statement Server
UberBUSS

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 04:06:28 PM »
"or set-up my digital Fluke to do the same thing"

How would that work?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."