Author Topic: Any Country Music audiophiles?  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
Any Country Music audiophiles?
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:54:21 AM »
You rarely hear about country music in this hoppy of ours. I listen to all types of music including country from time to time and find that country recordings are recorded to much higher standards than much of todays music and most classic rock.

Any country music fans here?
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Any Country Music audiophiles?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »
You rarely hear about country music in this hoppy of ours.

Too many beers last night, eh?

I'm not a regular listener of country music but I do enjoy it when I'm in the mood... Some of the lyrics do crack me up from time to time...
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »
I, too, have some Country in the collection.  Patsy Cline, Willie, Glen Campbell, Randy Travis, a little Garth, a cut or two from Shelby Lynn, and of course Dolly.

Most current Country is formulaic crap.

Top 40 (any style) has rarely been a haven for audiofools.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:15:19 PM by allenzachary »

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
Yah me!.....hyuk
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rpf

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »
I have and like some traditional country: Carter Family, Ralph Stanley, Dolly Parton's three traditional albums, etc.

The Nashville stuff from the sixties to now, no, unless it's in a trad or alt vein like Townes Van Zant, Guy Clark, Shelby Lynn, etc.

However, I've found that while driving out in the middle of nowhere - the plains & mountains of Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, even upstate NY - that the music becomes somehow appropriate & listenable. NOT including the pop country of the last decade or so.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
There's a wealth of good and great country music being made today but it doesn't get played on the radio. For example: Jason Isbell, Lucinda Williams, Rodney Crowell, Rosanne Cash, Jim Lauderdale, Buddy Miller, Steve Earle, Shelby Lynne, Peter Rowan, Alison Krauss, Marty Stuart, Carlene Carter, Carrie Rodriguez, Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, Kieran Kane, Mary Gauthier, and on and on and on….. Country music radio is brain dead and unfortunately that's what most people associate with the term country music.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:06:39 AM »
When we are on vacation somewhere outside on NYC, driving along the road, I often turn on a country station. We do get a kick out of the songs and lyrics. It's a nice change from the usual 70's rock stations.

But I can't say I own much (if any) real country music and don't listen to it at home.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
being from nc, country is part of the native culture. we live in the country, the real south. Country music is ON down here.

My oldest kid likes to listen to country as his first choice, and blues. he got that from his friends.

My wife likes modern crossover country, that is pop music with lyrics relatable to 30-40 somethings. So we have a lot of the recent big country albums. Sugarland, FL/GA Line, Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwear, Lady Antebellum, etc. But she also likes pop artists who pursue similar themes, like Taylor swift, Colbie Callet, etc. They are just the other side of the country/pop fence, because no southern accent.

As for audiophile, I used to use the Sugarland cd as a test track, but I don't have speakers powerful enough for that now. I have listened to Antebellum all the way through, and Rascal Flatts. Not bad at all. They are basically pop/rock with a southern accent. No Hank williams or loretta lynn here.

I do like to listen to Alisson Krauss, but her vocal mix is tilted up and the themes are kinda dark. I think that's normal for bluegrass. those cute twangy happy sounding instruments need some real death, loss and grief lyrics for balance.

i used to not like country music when i was a kid. one night while driving across the country, circa 1985 i got stuck in a traffic jam on uS40 in a blizzard in amarillo TX. I had a flat tire and broken exhaust pipe. i had $60 in my pocket for gas to Boston. I pulled off the road to deal with the flat, but couldn't remove the lugs. Then i was stuck in the snow, putting laundry under the wheels for traction, to no avail. After a few hours i got pulled out of the median of US40 by a truck with a chain around my bumper, I limped back to a truck stop, parked and lied down across the front seats to sleep. I turned on the radio and all that was available was country music. i listened to the lyrics and the calming harmonys and I felt good, it fit the moment perfectly. In the midst of a personal disaster, country music soothed me to sleep. next morning, sun was out, I got the tire fixed surprisingly cheap and headed south into the heart of TX cattle country to avoid the snow buried traffic. Listening to that same country station for a couple hours I eventually got back on 40 with clear road. ever since then I choose to tolerate country music, and occasionally there is a song that I really like.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
Rich I think the scariest part of that story is the part about getting from Tx to Boston on $60 worth of gas.  :shock:

Today $60 in gas would barely get me from to Boston from Long Island. ( Hell, it would cost almost $20 for tolls alone!)  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 06:11:16 PM »
I'm surprised there are not more that like country...or at least not as many that admit it. I personally can get into a mood to listen to country. It was more 90 a mainstay for me back about 20 years ago and still listen to a lot from that time.

While growing up, I spent a lot of time with my grandpa and lived with them for a couple years. Country was always playing so if I was unable to have control of the radio for the likes of Def Leopard,  Twisted Sister, Led Zeppelin or whatever, it was country.
In my pre teen years, I was growing up in cities like Brooklyn and Philadelphia.  The late 70s to early 80s go me was all about the weird stuff (to me at the time anyway).  I still remember going to see DEVO at the Platium? In NYC. Old school rap (of course it was old school then :duh) was also something I was in to for some time. Rappers Deight, Jam On It, Double Dutch Buss :thumb:
Now as I get older, I am primarily Blues, Jazz and Classic Rock or Metal. It all depends on my mood.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 07:15:34 PM »
Yup, gas was 65 cents and the old VW got 40mpg, way back in March 87.

AcidJazz

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
Not  big fan, but I like some of it...like this gal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtjXHgBhybo&index=1&list=PL1QomlX-17dj9HJi1s6WipGbFLCUYGjRI
The album is recorded quite well.

I also like Jewel and a few others I can't recall names right this moment.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »
Yup, gas was 65 cents and the old VW got 40mpg, way back in March 87.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 07:17:21 AM »
That is so funny!!! My DirecTivo is  out for repair, so we are watching ota TV, esp All in the Family every nite. My favorite part is the intro when edith screams sings the theme.

djdube525

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »
we live in the country, the real south.

Give it time... the Borg (Cary) will consume you... resistance is futile. :D